TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tpww7

AJ Styles and Red stripped of ROH Tag Team Titles

From the ROH Message Board:

In a very unfortunate circumstance, Ring Of Honor is forced to strip AJ Styles & Amazing Red of the ROH tag team titles due to a knee injury suffered by Red, which will keep him out for a considerable amount of time. We hope Red will have a speedy recovery and he will still be involved in some ROH events while he is injured.

Ring Of Honor will now hold the first ever tag team gauntlet series on September 20th at the Murphy Recreation Center in South Philadelphia. The winners will be the new ROH tag team champions. A gauntlet series will begin with a straight tag match. The winner will immediately wrestle the next entry in a straight tag match. A series of consecutive straight tag team matches will occur with the winners advancing and the losers eliminated. After an intermission, the team that survived the gauntlet will wrestle the final team. Here are the entries so far:

The Backseat Boyz

Jay & Mark Briscoe

Carnage Crew

Dunn & Marcos

SAT

Special K

This gauntlet series should produce a variety of unique and equal match ups that will produce every style of wrestling and some stuff you've never seen before. Tickets on sale now.

One question:

Why the fuck didn't they just put the titles on Christopher Daniels and Danny Maff in Dayton then? And, you know, protect the lineage of the titles and all that? It's not like they didn't already know that Red was hurt.

One question:

Why the fuck didn't they just put the titles on Christopher Daniels and Danny Maff in Dayton then? And, you know, protect the lineage of the titles and all that? It's not like they didn't already know that Red was hurt.

It's because Red was close to coming back at the time. The reason they stripped them of the titles is because Red went back to Japan and got himself reinjured.

And they're giving Daniels a big push so it's pointless to give him the tag titles.

And when Red comes back- They can do AJ/Red v. New champs.

The one flaw I see here is that AJ can't really job in singles matches because he's NWA Champion- so it'll be interesting to see how they use him

I doubt the Backseats would get the ROH Tag belts, though I'd love to see it.

I'm thinking the underdogs, Dunn and Marcos, get 'em, at least until the next show.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood
I'm thinking the underdogs, Dunn and Marcos, get 'em, at least until the next show.

As much as I'd love that, Special K is getting the big push, it's probably them.

Either some combo of them or the Briscoes, since they're now booked for every ROH show in the immediate future.

I think it's a knee injury. I think if the severity of the injury is enough to sideline him for a few months, I'd wager that Red's style could make a change comparable to that of Rey Mysterio Jr.'s when he injured his knee.

On a side note, wasn't Red doing the Fake Mysterio gimmick in Japan when the injury occurred? Does that mean he'll have to be Fake Rey Rey when he returns? *gets pelted with rotten tomatoes*

Am I the only one that doesnt like gauntlet matches?

I dunno, its just the whole set up of how one team could have to face every other and another team will only have one match.

If your using it to get someone over then fair enough (i.e. when Brock went over all of team angle on the same night). But for soemthing like this it jsut doesn't seem right.