TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
geniusMoment

Most significant match of the decade

What do feel is the most significant match of the decade?

Some of my contenders are: HBK vs. Austin at 14 the begining of a new era

Bret vs Flair (brets first WWF title) finally vince doesn't go with size

Undertaker vs. HBK (casket match) HBK's career is cut short

Shane Douglas winning the NWA tourney (ECW is born)

Bret vs. HBK (survivor series) the double cross

Owen vs. Austin (summerslam) austin almost loses career and is really never the same again

Mankind vs. Undertaker (king of the ring) The most recognizable bump in wrestling history

I am sure there are lots more but I can't see any of them being bigger than bret vs. shawn

SurSer 97.

Sadly... because is related to:

The Kickstart the WWF need to beat WCW and survive.

The END of an Era.

The Double Cross. There will be always threads like... Was a work or a shoot, who screwed Bret, who was right, Bret or Vince?.. ect.

Mr. McMahon was born. Probably, the Biggest Heel EVER.

God, it has to be Survivor Series. That changed everything. It was a huge controversy, it indirectly caused the attitude area, and it indirectly made the WWF millions.

If I must pick another one, however, it may be the Lex Luger, Sting and Randy Savage v. Scott Hall, Kevin Nash match from Bash at the Beach '96.

Guest Fook

SS97 and BATB96 for reasons already stated.

Also, Bret/Austin at WM13. That match MADE Austin.

Guest BAR

BatB96 and even though it bores (not that that changes its significance.) the shit out of outta me: SurSer97.

All Japan: 6/9/95 (Kawada finally pins Misawa, shows that he's ready to be a legend, as well)

That's my pick, certainly.

OK.

I guess you have to go with Montreal but if I were to pick a second it would be, without a doubt, Bret vs. Austin from WrestleMania XIII.

Not only did it turn Austin into a superstar, it also had the double turn - a move that in a roundabout fashion led to Montreal taking place.

Austin/Hart WM 13.

If you look at the Hart/Austin series, it paved the way for McMahon/Austin. It developed the Hart character into a heel and led to the Pro-Canada/Anti-America movement. It was a direct result of HBK losing his smile, and among other things relates to SS97. Austin in the sharpshooter with blood dripping from his face was the image that Attitude was based on. Austin was made in this match, and he went on to become the biggest draw in WWE history. Oh, and it was also one of the best WWE matches ever and the basis for the current WWE style (that is to say, fast-paced brawling... which sucks, but todays WWE doesn't use that style like Steve and Bret did.)

The others mentioned, especially Austin/Bret and the nWo formation...

Taker/Mankind at Summerslam 96 is probably the most underrated influence on the Attitude era. The match that brought pushing the envelope to the WWE truly. They'd done some stuff before that, but this was the true ECW influence coming through.

Guest wayzing

The above mentioned matches sure stand out as matches that changed wrestling for the better. On the other side of the spectrum we must not forget "the Fingerpoke of Doom" as something that probably did more than any other match to make sure that WCW fans started to look elsewhere.

It's up on wrestlecrap this week. Inte missa.

Guest Dynamite Kido

Survivor Series 1997 - This is the most significant PPV because it kicked off the WWF's buggest business period in it's history. This single moment alone made a hell of a lot more members to the IWC as well.

Bash at the Beach 1996 - Hogan heel turn!!!! Doesn't sound like a big deal now, but holy shit if there was ever a mark out moment it was that.

ECW Barely Legal - This was important because it was the beginning of a Indy company on PPV and the financial end of the company too. Terry Funk wins in such a nostalgia moment......

Then there's the one that really started everything, although none of us could have known it at the time...

Steve Austin vs. Jake Roberts, tournament final, King of the Ring 96. The birth of Austin 3:16.

Guest Pigsy
All Japan: 6/9/95 (Kawada finally pins Misawa, shows that he's ready to be a legend, as well)

That's my pick, certainly.

OK.

My knowledge of puro is very limited, so correct me if I'm wrong, but what about Mitsuharu Misawa vs Jumbo Tsuruta 6/8/90?

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Wrestlemania X ladder match.

What do you feel is the most significant match of the decade?

Bret Hart Vs. Shawn Michaels, arguably the best WRESTLING match ever.

Guest Choken One

Arguably? It's not even on the top 5 of 1996.

It had no historic value other then being another solid Mania Main and being the only 60 Minute Iron Man on WM history.

Guest ToddRoyal

Montreal is probably the most significant, just because it launched the Evil Vince character that would end up turning the WWF around and influenced a ton of WWF finishes to this day.

The Bash at the Beach match, for the same reason that it was the catalyst to turn WCW around.

E&C Vs. Hardys- No Mercy- directly influenced a boatload of ladder matches in the WWF/E, influenced a TON of indy wrestlers and is basically the template that most TNA X Division matches use. Redifned the ladder match.

I'm shocked no one mentioned Dude Love Vs. Austin from Over the Edge 98. That match pretty much invented and perfected the brawl-big dramatic finish style that has been re-used in almost every WWF/E main event since then.

Also- Bret/Diesel at Survivor Series 95 for the Spanish Announce Table Spot.

The only question I have about Montreal, even though I picked it, is that McMahon was already turning into evil Vince. It started a couple of weeks earlier when he suspended Austin and then culminated at MSG when he became a heel and Austin gave him a stunner to a big pop. I think Austin/McMahon was already planned before Montreal.

Guest Pigsy
Arguably? It's not even on the top 5 of 1996.

It had no historic value other then being another solid Mania Main and being the only 60 Minute Iron Man on WM history.

I'd say Shawn Michaels first world title win was fairly significant, since his refusal to job the belt was a key factor in the Bret-Shawn (real) feud.

I'm going to go for Bret/Austin... at Surviour Series 96.

In my opinion, a better match than the WM13 one, and I also think it proved to Vince that Austin was the man to carry the ball in the Main Event and that Bret could still cut it at the top level, for a bit anyway.

Plu you could also argue that that was the very start of Bret's turn and eventual screwing at Surviour Series 97.

Guest BionicRedneck

That is, without doubt, the funniest thing I have ever read.

That is, without doubt, the funniest thing I have ever read.

I dunno, you could argue it. You'd be dead wrong, but you could argue it.

Guest BionicRedneck

:imagines someone actually trying to argue it:

That makes it even funnier.

Guest Choken One

With what?

The only significance it holds is the fact it showcased the large egos that Shawn and Bret Possesed as either were willing to make the other look good. You be able to make case with it being the first and likely ONLY 62 minute wm match.

The match wasn't even all that gangbusters anyways...

Guest Ray

I've said it many times,

The WM12 Iron Man is the MOST OVERRATED MATCH EVER.

It has almost no redeeming qualities.