TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
geniusMoment

Most significant match of the decade

i think foley's hell in a cell fiasco is more overrated than the iron man match. i'm not gonna defend it as a classic by any stretch of the imagination, but i quite like it.

other significant matches that should probably be mentioned:

hogan/yokozuna, KoR 93: the end of the hogan era in the wwf.

austin/hbk, WM 98: when the wwf started to get truly competitive again--austin finally on top, attitude era, the publicity with mike tyson, etc.

Guest Ray
i think foley's hell in a cell fiasco is more overrated than the iron man match. i'm not gonna defend it as a classic by any stretch of the imagination, but i quite like it.

At least that match had the 'holy shit' bump factor.

I stand by my statement that the Iron Man is the most overrated.

It's frequently called the following things-

-One of the best wrestling matches ever

-A great 'technical' match

-The best Wrestlemania match ever

-The best Bret Hart match ever

-The best Shawn Michaels match ever

And it isn't any of those things. I find it sad that this match gets so much attention and the superior Bret/Shawn Survivor Series 1992 match doesn't.

i think foley's hell in a cell fiasco is more overrated than the iron man match.  i'm not gonna defend it as a classic by any stretch of the imagination, but i quite like it.

At least that match had the 'holy shit' bump factor.

I stand by my statement that the Iron Man is the most overrated.

It's frequently called the following things-

-One of the best wrestling matches ever

-A great 'technical' match

-The best Wrestlemania match ever

-The best Bret Hart match ever

-The best Shawn Michaels match ever

And it isn't any of those things. I find it sad that this match gets so much attention and the superior Bret/Shawn Survivor Series 1992 match doesn't.

Took the words out of my keyboard.

I'm going with the Hostile Takeover from BATB 96. That match turned WCW around, but it often doesn't get credit for it's impact on wrestling. The NWO pretty much ended the gimmick era. Sure Vince tried more gimmicks after they arrived, but none of them worked. The NWO pretty much set up the good guy vs bad guy formula as opposed to gimmick vs gimmick. It was one set of cleraly defined heels trying to ruin a company, not a pig farmer vs an astronaut or a dentist.

They were also some of the first "cool heels." This formula would later be used and taken a step further by DX. HHH still tries this today.

Guest Askewniverse

I agree with those who say that the Iron Man Match is overrated. In my opinion, it's not even Bret's best WrestleMania match.

I agree with those who say that the Iron Man Match is overrated. In my opinion, it's not even Bret's best WrestleMania match.

Hell, in my opinion, it doesn't even make his top three.

WMXIII with Austin, WMX with Owen and WMVIII with Piper were all clearly better.

Guest BionicRedneck

It's definately not Bret's best Mania match. It's not Shawn's either.

Guest Choken One

The WMXIX match has nothing of signifiance other being one the indicators of these two men's extreme egos. While it will be the only Mania Match to ever last 62 minutes...It doesn't have any value. If it was the last 25 minutes alone...then it would be classic but as it is...It's just a really good match between two really good performers.

Guest Askewniverse

Hell, in my opinion, it doesn't even make his top three.

WMXIII with Austin, WMX with Owen and WMVIII with Piper were all clearly better.

I agree. Those three matches are a lot better than the Iron Man Match.

well, you could fill a 6-hour tape of better bret hart matches than that one, but that's not the point.

the point is bret/shawn is a far better match than taker/foley (though both have stellar reputations), and hence is less overrated.

Guest Choken One

Foley/Taker is never considered a classi MATCH but a historic and Significant match.

WMXIX Ironman is just another good match in a long list of matches for those two with no historic value.

I've heard MANY people say that Foley/Taker HIAC is one of the greatest matches of all time.

They're all people in high school who seem to be complete marks, but they have said it.

Jason

What do you feel is the most significant match of the decade?

Bret Hart Vs. Shawn Michaels, arguably the best WRESTLING match ever.

That is, without doubt, the funniest thing I have ever read.

Rico is, by far, the biggest frikken mark here. So just sit back and watch the unintentional hilarity ensue.

My pick goes to the famous 6 man at Bash At The Beach 1996. I remember watching that for the first time and just being blown away like NEVER before.

Not once did I even think Hogan would EVER turn on his WCW pals for the Outsiders, and the result (at least initially) was the greatest thing to ever happen to wrestling at the time.

That started what would become one of the (if not the) biggest boom period in the history of Pro Wrestling.

Ah, nWo was THE SHIT. How I miss those days.

Screwy finishes and all.

UYI

The WMXIX match has nothing of signifiance other being one the indicators of these two men's extreme egos. While it will be the only Mania Match to ever last 62 minutes...It doesn't have any value. If it was the last 25 minutes alone...then it would be classic but as it is...It's just a really good match between two really good performers.

Fuck Choken, you really have to work on those Roman numerals.

WMXIX is Wrestlemania Nineteen, i.e. the one just passed. You mean WMXII, or Wrestlemania 12.

UYI

Guest Choken One

I'm having a rough day...I'm usually fucking accurate...

I have temp. dyslexia for the time being

Guest Pigsy

I saw the match a couple of days ago (on HBK's DVD) and agree with the view that the match is good (in places), but far from being a classic.

However, whether or not a match is great is different from a match having historical significance. IMO, that match was very significant in the relationship between Bret and Shawn. I'm not saying the WMXII match is the most significant match of the 90s, just that it led to other important events (ie. the Montreal screw job).

Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned the match where Owen broke Austin's neck. That has to be one of the most significant moments in wrestling history.

Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned the match where Owen broke Austin's neck. That has to be one of the most significant moments in wrestling history.

It was mentioned on the first page of this thread.

Guest Tim Cooke

The double turn by Blue Panther and Art Barr on 7/18/93 started the Lucha big boom. As well as Barr wearing Santo's mask and attacking Guerrero, thus turning Guerrero heel and forming Los Gringos Locos.

Misawa/Kobashi vs. Kawada/Taue 5/21/94 was not even in the top 3 of their tag series but changed the style from sprinting (1/86-12/93) to build 20 minutes, nearfalls for 20 minutes.

7/12/92 Sting vs. Vader established Vader with the clean win, which lead to him being able to showcase the skills of the best 350 pound plus worker ever.

There are more but they are slipping my mind right now.

Tim

Guest Trivia247

For the purposes of the development of Mr.McMahon as the Character he is now..

its Montreal..

what became the match that pretty much turned the tide from WCW to WWF

was SCSA vs HBK WM 14

after that Wrestlemania the ratings turned completely to the WWF and never left it.

Bret Hart vs HBK Iron Man Match Wm12

it gets honors because it was the height of Wrestling excellence for the mid 90's

Bash at the Beach 96

Luger Sting Savage vs Outsiders (Hogan later)

Not for its wrestling, but because the nWo formation was a polarizing event which cemented the WCW Ratings for its time period up to WM 14

For ECW fans..

least the matches I have I could say.

the Pitbulls vs Raven/Richards which SK rant gave it a ***** rating...now thats just one man's opinion but damn thats a high rating for any ECW match.

RVD vs Sabu in each of the respect/stretcher matches in 96, introducing the wrestling world to RVD in the states.

back to WWF...

Razor Ramon vs HBK Ladder match Wm10

first match of its kind and the father of future tag team Ladder and TLC matches.

first match of its kind and the father of future tag team Ladder and TLC matches.

Bret v. HBK.

Bret Hart vs HBK Iron Man Match Wm12

it gets honors because it was the height of Wrestling excellence for the mid 90's

But it's not. It's not wrestling excellence. How can a match with so many flaws be considered wrestling excellence?

the Pitbulls vs Raven/Richards which SK rant gave it a ***** rating...now thats just one man's opinion but damn thats a high rating for any ECW match.

How does Scott Keith loving a match make it significant?

I think Austin v. Bret is my pick

Bret v. HBK.

They were doing ladder matches in Stampede way before that.

Guest wildpegasus

Quote Canadian Chris

"they were doing ladder matches in Stampede way before that."

Yes, and the finish of the WRestlemania match between HBK and Ramon was used by the Dynamite Kid (who brought the idea up) against Bret Hart years ago. The only difference was that Dynamite fell to the floor while Michaels got caught in the ropes.

Also, another influential match that night at Wrestlemania X was Bret vs Owen. FILLED with Dynamite Kid stuff with the ending itself being a Dynamite Kid finish.

Bret v. HBK.

Yes but HBK v. Bret was the first WWF match of its kind. The first time Vince took notice of one

Bret v. HBK.

Yes but HBK v. Bret was the first WWF match of its kind. The first time Vince took notice of one

Never said it wasn't...but that's not what I was responding to.

I've heard MANY people say that Foley/Taker HIAC is one of the greatest matches of all time.

I've heard that, too.

I usually laugh at that.

They're all people in high school who seem to be complete marks, but they have said it.

Sounds about right.

I know it's probably not the MOST influential (sp?), but Bret-Perfect from SummerSlam 91 is one I'm surprised hasn't been named yet. If Bret lost that match, his credibility as a singles wrestler may have been wrecked for quite a while, even if it was Perfect. Not only that, but it may have caused bitterness between Bret and Vince six years prior to Montreal, since Vince had promised him singles pushes twice in the late 80's, but hadn't been able to deliver on them. So that match could have been make-or-break for the career of Bret Hart, one of the most influential WRESTLERS in history, even if it wasn't for the business as a whole.

Guest The Rising Star
The above mentioned matches sure stand out as matches that changed wrestling for the better. On the other side of the spectrum we must not forget "the Fingerpoke of Doom" as something that probably did more than any other match to make sure that WCW fans started to look elsewhere.

It's up on wrestlecrap this week. Inte missa.

Inte missa? Are you Swedish? In that case, congratulations to Sweden and Carolina Kluft, Christian Ohlsson and Stefan Holm, 2 Gold winners and 1 Silver winner in the Athletics World Championship. USA bombed. That's what happens when Maurice Greene, and others are off the juice!

I think Misawa/Kobashi needs MUCH credit. These guys symbolize what wrestling is all about.

Edited by The Rising Star