TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Midnight Express83

Best band(or group) of 2001

Guest Midnight Express83

Who do you think is the best band(or group) of 2001. Since there are so many genres out there I am going to list my top 3.

3: Nsync-Slowly reinventing themselves and picking up new fans on the way. Last CD wasn't that bad. As its an RnB CD and not this "boy band" pop that puts hate on them before people hear it.

2: Creed-even thought I hate them, i still have to give the credit. They can sell and their songs, even though alot sound alike, are bringing this group to being on of the biggest ever.

1: Linkin Park-current favorite band out there. When a CD comes out in 2000 and is number 3 currently in 2002, its a sign of a great band.

Guest hardyz1

You put nSuck and Creed on your list?!?!?!  Damnit, you're giving Linkin Park fans like me a bad name.

(elitist mode)All three of those groups are awful and not really music.  Here's two reasons why:

1.  Their songs are on the radio

2.  They aren't metal.

I'm right and you're wrong.(/elitist mode)

Guest Kinetic

But all three of those bands do suck.  That's not elitism...it's cold, hard facts speaking.  If I had to choose a band, I'd probably go with the Strokes.  Good band, good album, came out of nowhere to acheive some modicum of mainstream success...all in all, a truly heartwarming success story.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Slayer or Iced Earth. Iced Earth released one hell of an album in Horror Show, but Slayer regained their popularity AND attracted an entire new generation of fans with God Hates Us All.

Guest hardyz1
But all three of those bands do suck.  That's not elitism...it's cold, hard facts speaking.  

That's an opinion, fucktard, not "cold, hard facts".

(Elitist mode)My opinions are correct and yours are wrong.(/Elitist mode)

Guest PYNAGE

Duuuuuuuude ... the Strokes ?

fuck all that ..... dirty beatles wannabes . Last Nite is a brutal song .  WASH YOUR HAIR , HIPPIES!!!!!!!

Guest Kinetic
Duuuuuuuude ... the Strokes ?

fuck all that ..... dirty beatles wannabes . Last Nite is a brutal song .  WASH YOUR HAIR , HIPPIES!!!!!!!

Okay.  Have you ever actually heard the Beatles, or are you going by whatever preconceived notion your 13-year old mind has concocted?  Do you know what a hippy is?  I'm not saying the Strokes are the most original band in the world.  They're pretty derivative, I'll admit.  But they don't sound or look anything like the Beatles.  Just thought I'd clear that up.

As far as the difference between opinion and cold, hard fact is concerned...I agree.  There is a difference.  Just not when it comes to NSync, Creed, or Linkin Park.  I believe there was a law passed recently or something.  Long story short, they're officially recognized by the government as crap.  But don't blame me...I voted for Nader.

Guest Midnight Express83

I am not a big fan of 2 of the 3 but I picked three with the biggest fan base, its the most objective way to do this subjective poll. Nsync and Creed are some of the biggest sellers of the new century. So they win out. Linkin Park is the best due to the fact that their CD came out in 2000 and its still selling strong in 2002. So the hottest CD in 2001 makes the best group/band of 2001. U2 was a close 4 on my list.

Guest Kinetic

There's a major distinction that needs to be made between "best" and "most popular."  "Titanic" is the highest-grossing film of all time, but I certainly wouldn't consider it the best movie ever.  By any stretch of the imagination.  So, yes...Creed, NSync, and Linkin Park were three acts that did extremely well financially in 2001 and will probably do much of the same in 2002.  Does that make them "the best" band of any particular year, or even a good band?  No.  No, it doesn't.

Guest Super* Scott Newman

I think the best band of 2001 was.....The Strokes, or Starsailor.

Hahahahahaahhahaha.....Stroeks and Star Sailor are both pussy groups. The best this year was WuTang and Rape Fantasy. There might be some better ones but I don't know if they released an LP this year........I got no idea bout that.

Guest Nevermortal

System of a Down. Toxicity kicked approximately 35 types of ass.

And any group named Rape Fantasy should be automatically disqualified from the running.

Guest ratboy

Well, my number one record of the year was Travis, "The Invisible Band". So I could justify them being the top act of the year, along with a whole host of others.

Honestly though, the overall artist of the year, band/solo/otherwise, was Alicia Keys. I feel she blew away everything else that was out there.

Guest Cameron Chaos

If we are talking about record sales, mass appeal, and all round commercial success, I would go with either Staind or Linkin Park.

Personally, I would go with Jimmy Eat World.

Guest hardyz1

My choices:

Either

System of a Down:  Awesome CD

Or

Linkiin Park:  Great CD, loads of commercial success.

Guest Canadian Gangsta

I'd have to say U2 and Dream Theater.  And I know Dream Theater released their CD in January of 2002...but I heard some of it in 2001 so....yeah.  And it rules.

Guest Canadian Gangsta

I'd have to say U2 and Dream Theater.  And I know Dream Theater released their CD in January of 2002...but I heard some of it in 2001 so....yeah.  And it rules.

Guest Stupendous Man

Rape Fantasy?  If ever a name that guarantees you won't get a record deal that is it, if they're really any good I hope they're willing to change their name if they want real money.

As for me, I'm just going to list the three groups with albums from 2001 that got the most play in my CD player:

Ben Folds

The Strokes

Local H (Their new album doesn't come out until Mar. 5th but I received a free copy of their EP, based around their first single Half-Life, has a kicking cover of Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4 on it.  Can't wait til the 5th.

Guest Vyce

Linkin Park does not suck.  They're actually pretty good, it's just that [elitist mode] most of their fans are idiots.  And by that, I mean most of their fans seem (to me, at least, from my observations) to be junior high school boys who also happen to think that Fred Durst is GOD because he's on MTV every other minute.  So it isn't "cool" to be a Linkin Park fan, unless you're 13 years old.[/elitist mode]  I think they get a bad rap.

The Strokes?  Good, but INCREDIBLY OVERRATED.  Yes, you heard me.  I've seen these guys hailed as the best music act to come out of New York City in the past 25 years.  That is INSANE.  I shit you not about that, one respected critic / magazine (I forget exactly which one) literally called them the best NYC band of the past 25 years.  There must have been a payoff involved for that kind of bullshit to be published.  They're good, but they aren't anywhere near THAT good.  They fall into the category I would call "okay".

Best band of 2001?  Tool.  I don't even want to hear any complaints.

Guest Madmartigan21

Based on what my favorite ablumns of last year were I will say the following were 2001's best bands:

1. The Cult

2. Tantric

3.  Lennon (Not John, but the really angry chick.  She makes that twat, Alanis Morisette look cheerful.)

4. Stabbing Westward

5. Megadeth

6. Saliva

Guest The Metal Maniac

Best band of 2001? Well, DUH...

The answer is Iron Maiden. Everyone who says otherwise is wrong.

They're the best band EVERY year.

(Note: All you elite anti-elitists, F*CK OFF. It's a joke. But seriously, Maiden rules the school.)

Guest One Bad Apple

I'd say System of a Down suck.

Best group? B2K, easy. Lil Fizz is has the most potential of any emcee in a long while. I wanna know when the album drops.

And any group named Rape Fantasy should be automatically disqualified from the running.

I haven't heard them either, but that's pretty ignorant! They might be good!

Rape Fantasy?  If ever a name that guarantees you won't get a record deal that is it, if they're really any good I hope they're willing to change their name if they want real money.

Why? Anal Cunt, Cannibal Corpse, Preteen Sex Scene ... there's others.

Guest Madmartigan21
Best band of 2001? Well, DUH...

The answer is Iron Maiden. Everyone who says otherwise is wrong.

They're the best band EVERY year.

(Note: All you elite anti-elitists, F*CK OFF. It's a joke. But seriously, Maiden rules the school.)

If I had a brain in my head, THAT would have been my answer.  I feel so ashamed and dirty.  I must watch my Number of the Beast DVD to cleanse myself.