TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Adam

The Edgeucation of Adam Copeland

Alright, I'm back. Hold the applause, please, you'll make me blush. Let's get down to business.

Had a great trip to T.O. (Toronto) even with the blackout of 2003. Even that became a great excuse to look at the stars with no city lights muting them. We lit candles and had the Copeland Crew over for a barbeque. The next night, I trounced my buddies John and Johnny (sounds like a bad sitcom), and became the reigning king of ping pong in our little clique. My trip also coincided with a SmackDown! live event in Hamilton at the Copps Coliseum. Of course, being that close, I had to make an appearance.

Way back on May 10, 1996, I had my first WWE match in the hallowed halls of the Copps. My opponent was Bob "Hardcore" Holly, although at that point he was still the Spark Plug, checkered flags and all. I know Bob's glad he ditched that gimmick. I arrived to the building three hours before the show, not realizing that for non-televised live events, the guys show about an hour before. This gave me enough time to get good and nervous. The show started at 7:30. Bob showed at 7 p.m., walked up to me, and asked how long I'd been working. I replied with the truth, three and a half years. I realized that might have been the wrong answer when he rolled his eyes, grunted and walked away. Knowing Bob the way I do now, I'd laugh. Back then I said “sh**,” but vowed to prove that I belonged in the ring with him.

What was my way of proving that, you ask? Dancing. Extremely bad, and extremely Caucasian. You see, at this point I wrestled on the indies as Sexton Hardcastle. Christian had just finished his training and wrestled as Christian Cage. For some unknown reason, we decided that dancing, very badly, would get a reaction from the crowd. So Christian would hit "the Carlton," and moves very reminiscent of his peeparoonie. In the meantime, I would hit the most horrendous version of the running man you will ever see. With all of that being said, I thought that my WWE debut was the perfect opportunity for my Tide-white-like running man. I walked to the ring with the music I always used, “Walk” by Pantera. I can hear the RVD fans now, but at that point I had no clue he was using it too. I was clueless to ECW. I climbed in the ring and started dancing like a madman. It looked like I was having a seizure.

Our referee (and now one of my best friends in the business), Timmy White, was dumbstruck. My mom, sitting in the front row, snapped a picture of this spectacle her son was making of himself. She caught Timmy's incredulous look perfectly. I still laugh when I see that picture.

Finally, Bob hit the ring, and it was time for him to stare at me in disbelief, and try not to laugh. Now with Bob Holly, that's tough to do, and I think I won him over. The match went great, the people were into it, even though they had no clue who I was. This was the beginning. Which led me, seven years later, to the Copps for a little promo. Just a little howya' doin'.

Hamilton let me know they have not forgotten the ol' Edgemeister. It may sound stupid, but those thoughts run through your head when you sit at home for six months. I ended up being the judge for the Divas’ bikini contest. Nidia and Dawn Marie had an evil gleam in their eyes, and I soon found out why. As they came out to strut their stuff, they began to strip me down. Shirt ... gone. Pants ... undone, and on their way off, thanks to Dawn Marie. I almost lost more clothes than they did! I later found out that Version 1.0, everyone’s favorite cult leader, Matt Hardy, was in on the stripping of your illustrious leader. Even with the edgetease, it was great to get in front of the 'Heads again. The itch to get back in the ring is killing me now. Although sleeping in every day and not rushing for my next flight has been nice.

That night I went for a bite with Rey Rey. It was great to spend time with my good buddy again. Besides the crowd, I think I miss the camaraderie with the rest of the boys the most. When I got home, I watched some of our tag battles, and realized we made one hell of a team. I always get tons of e-mails saying they want Rey and I to team again. That's definitely something I'd like to do again before I call it quits.

Sat down Sunday night and was thoroughly entertained by SummerSlam. SummerSlam never fails to deliver. Every year it comes through. Some very good matches, a great crowd, and the Elimination Chamber. I enjoyed this one better than the first. I think this finally showcased what Goldberg can do. It was one of the first times that he reminded me of the WCW Goldberg, and has me looking forward to Unforgiven. Totally shocked when Brock Lesnar tapped out. I thought he was gonna take the belt, and I would be chasing him for the WORLD TITLE next year.

But to be honest, with Kurt or Brock, you can't go wrong. I can't wait to get back in there with them (I know I'm becoming repetitive).

Well, we're quickly approaching the six-month mark since neck surgery, which is on Sept.10. Which means I'm on my way to San Antonio this week for a checkup. It's my first checkup in five months, so I'm hoping for good news. I definitely don't want this keeping me out for more than a year, and missing another WrestleMania.

I'll give you reports next week.

Until then, you have been Edgeucated ... Sucka!!!!!!!!!!

I really loved it. Another great column by Edge.

I find it amusing that he said "some very good matches, a great crowd and the Elimination Chamber". While he praised their use of Goldberg, he didn't even make a peep about the finish.

Dames

I think, in reading between the lines, we know what he thinks about the finish, he's a smart guy, you know.

Guest Ray
Brock Lesnar tapped out. I thought he was gonna take the belt, and I would be chasing him for the WORLD TITLE next year.

A Brock (heel!) vs Edge feud would certainly tickle my willy. :)

Sad to say, at the rate they're going with Brock's jobbing right now, expect a Lesnar Vs. Funaki program on VELOCITY~! within...5 months tops.

:throwup:<WWE Fans

^Vince McMahon

Didn't they do a short Brock-Edge program before Brock-TBS last year? (Match at Rebellion)

Guest Ray
Didn't they do a short Brock-Edge program before Brock-TBS last year? (Match at Rebellion)

Yeah, they had a staredown on SD, if I recall, and a decent match at Rebellion.

Brock's improved since then, so a rematch would probably be better.

Geez Chosun! You stole my job! I'm the one who puts this coloum up!

::pouts in corner::

ANYWAYS, funny story with the dark match. The sad thing? I can actually picture Edge doing the running man. And now, I can't stop laughing. Heh.

^a really cool dancing move

I thought it was the running bear. Whats the difference?

My opponent was Bob "Hardcore" Holly, although at that point he was still the Spark Plug, checkered flags and all. I know Bob's glad he ditched that gimmick. I arrived to the building three hours before the show, not realizing that for non-televised live events, the guys show about an hour before. This gave me enough time to get good and nervous. The show started at 7:30. Bob showed at 7 p.m., walked up to me, and asked how long I'd been working. I replied with the truth, three and a half years. I realized that might have been the wrong answer when he rolled his eyes, grunted and walked away. Knowing Bob the way I do now, I'd laugh. Back then I said “sh**,” but vowed to prove that I belonged in the ring with him.

This is just ranting but I hate that fuckin' guy. There is rookies out there with less then 2 years in the business better then Holly has ever been.

I was at that event that night. And yeah his dancing sucked it wasn't really a running man more of a hold your two hands in front of you and pump, it was pretty horrible, but when he came out he got HUGE pop because everyone thought he was Shawn Micheals, it died down real quick. That is one of the only memories i still have from that Event because it sucked so bad, but I'll never forget when Edge showed up on TV and i was like "Holy fuck, that's the guy that danced like a jack ass."

Guest Your Olympic Hero

Why did he say he thought he would be chasing Brock for the WORLD TITLE next year, in all caps... when the "World title" is on Raw, and SD has the "WWE title"...??? just a mistake on Edge's part, or something more??

Guest nikowwf
I find it amusing that he said "some very good matches, a great crowd and the Elimination Chamber". While he praised their use of Goldberg, he didn't even make a peep about the finish.

Dames

I'd imagine that Edge likes to get paid and would like to continue to be in good standing with the company more than taking a shot at HHH.

niko

I can imagine Edge getting stripped down by Dawn, Nidia, Sable, & Torrie.

I bet Edge would love to show those 4 ladies just how manly he is. :P

Why did he say he thought he would be chasing Brock for the WORLD TITLE next year, in all caps... when the "World title" is on Raw, and SD has the "WWE title"...??? just a mistake on Edge's part, or something more??

Actually, I do believe that's another "read inbetween the lines" here.

As I'm thinking that he believes there is only one World title, and sure the hell isn't HHH's. Yes, that's totally different then my stance awhile ago, but I mean has he even acknowledged Raw's belt ever? Just food for thought.

At least that was the vibe I got when he called the belt "World title" and was meaning the SD title.

Guess the WWE Title can't be the Paper Championship if Edge a guy who's been sidelined now for six months would rather be after it over the Clique title.

Guest Dynamite Kido
A Brock (heel!) vs Edge feud would certainly tickle my willy. :)

BROCK, EDGE, and your WILLY should NEVER be used in the same sentence.......EVER.

Guest The Grand Pubah of 1620

This is the first one of these articles I have read, and I must say I was impressed.

I think Edge makes a much better writer then a wrestler. Maybe he found his niche!

Guest MikeSC

Dames

Edge is being nice. Remember, the writers briefly went to him for input on their writing while he was injured, but quickly stopped due to him being too negative.

-=Mike