TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Adam

The Announcing Situation

With heel Coach taking on Lawler next week, I'm hoping King gets injured so we can have a real heel commentator, like Heyman was in 2001, or like King was before he left in 2001.

But, I would much rather your new RAW Announcing Team:

Jonathon Coachman and Paul Heyman.

I think JR should be used as a backstage interviewer so everything can be scripted and he won't embarress himself so often. How about a team of Teddy Long and The Coach?

Guest Trivia247

Its nice Coach turned heel and all but are you forgetting he is still a crappy commentator?

The only thing Nash is good at is doing as little as possible to put himself over. Keep his sorry ass and his lame dyejob away from the announcer's table, the wrestling ring, and my TV set.

And enough with pimping Joey Styles. He would never conform to WW_ operational standards (10% match commentary, 140% shilling), and Vince would never hire him anyway.

Replacing the announce table with a better commentary team wouldn't change the fact that they'd be doing commentary for a shit stew like RAW. Better to just keep JR/Lawler on and let the show die a natural death than to put in new blood and make them the scapegoats.

And enough with pimping Joey Styles. He would never conform to WW_ operational standards (10% match commentary, 140% shilling), and Vince would never hire him anyway.

They've wanted to sign him for years, and even made him an offer after ECW folded, but he always remained loyal to ECW and even after they folded he still turned them down. Also, he is too good for WWE.

My bad. I still contend that his "style", while maintaining a solid play-by-play foundation, gets a little heavy-handed with his shrill voice and garish overacting. Kinda like if JR was a 15-year-old geek from Long Island.

Guest God Junior

Styles said that WWE didn't like his commentary as he "called the moves too much".

Also, I don't think Styles' commentary on MLW has been that great.

Well, he does get a boner over Mike Awesome too much. He also said Michael Shane was talented.

Jeez, they're gradually bring back everyone they can from the past......

so why not Jesse 'The Body' Ventura, to join JR!?

That would work. Also, I know a certain columnist at the Denver Post who would bring a breath of fresh Colorado air to RAW...

I think its time for JR to hang up the hat myself. I like the guy, but ever since No Way Out this year when he nearly had a hernia on camera from Stone Cold, I've lost respect.

God Junior Posted on Aug 28 2003, 08:38 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Styles said that WWE didn't like his commentary as he "called the moves too much".

Plus he didn't want to travel to much(as he would naturally have to in WWE) because he has/had(?) a nice day job that paid well.

Guest Redhawk

There's no use even thinking about this until Jim Ross either retires or dies. As I've said before, JR has been hiring shitty announcers for years in order to maintain his spot as the best announcer in WWE. Now, of course you can say today Michael Cole has jumped ahead of JR, but JR doesn't have to worry about Cole anymore since he's on Smackdown. (For the record, I still think Cole sucks.) Same goes for Lawler. Nothing will change until JR or King decide to walk away from the booth or they leave some other way. Then maybe you will get some competent announcers on RAW.

I've said it 100 times...Styles sucks. The guy is to shrill and gets to much of an attitude. "Oh ECW is the greatest! I'd like to see the WWF do that!" He's a shill....nothing worse...not saying Ross isn't one...they both are.

Guest Coffey
With heel Coach taking on Lawler next week, I'm hoping King gets injured so we can have a real heel commentator, like Heyman was in 2001, or like King was before he left in 2001.

Jerry Lawler is a color commentator not a play-by-play commentator. So, if Coach takes Lawler's spot that would leave no one on color and both Ross & Coach trying to do play by play.

Unless, of course, Coach does color.

I really like Paul Heyman & I really like Jesse Ventura. Doubtful if Ventura will comeback, and as someone said earlier, Heyman is better as a heel manager.

Of course, Bobby Heenan did both. :)

The WWE needs a good play-by-play man. I can't think of any off the top of my head. I was a fan of Joey Styles in ECW but I don't think that he would "fit" in the WWE. Not only that, but truthfully he did get old after awhile. "Oh my God" was definitely overplayed. He started doing it at least one time per match. It was worse than J.R. saying things three times in a row!

Edited by Mr. Jag0

I think JR's been a lot better on play-by-play lately. He always calls the whole match and whenever there is a really good match on Raw, he gets into it and conveys the importance. Coach is good as a novelty act or a heel character, but he takes away from the actual matches way more than Lawler does. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Vince would just go up to Jerry Lawler, and tell him to shill for the heels more, and pay a little more attention to the matches, there would be nothing wrong with the Raw commentary team.

Oh, and Heyman sucks on commentary. If you had to listen to him for another three weeks, you'd remember why you were all cheering your asses off for Lawler at Survivor Series 2001.

OK,but if JR stays on commentary, can he AT LEAST research the moves and call them? I'm really sick of 'high impact maneuvor' or 'bah gawd he landed on the back of his head, what a move that was'.

"Oh, and Heyman sucks on commentary. If you had to listen to him for another three weeks, you'd remember why you were all cheering your asses off for Lawler at Survivor Series 2001."

Sooo "oh fuck, he's back?!" = "cheering your asses off?"