94 Bert Jansch

95 Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine

96 Angus Young of AC/DC

97 Robert Randolph

98 Leigh Stephens of Blue Cheer

99 Greg Ginn of Black Flag

100 Kim Thayil of Soundgarden

Rollingstone.com

How the hell The Edge got so high on the list is beyond me. He's better then Joe Perry (48) Eddie Van Halen (70) and Angus Young (96)? I think not!

And Jack White of the White Stripes coming in at 17 is a fuckin' joke.

Edited by FeArHaVoC

"12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yes...he played his three chords beautifully...

I guess it's a good thing I read this list...or I would never have known that there are at least 100 gutarists better than Slash

I got this in the mail the other day and nearly blew a head gasket when I read that Angus Young was number 96 and Kurt Cobain was number 12. Could Kurt play "Thunderstruck"? I think not.

And where's Satriani? Where's Malmsteen, for that matter?

Guest Random Hero

I wouldn't want to be the person to tell Zakk Wylde, Kurt Cobain was a better guitarist than him.

Unless this list was complied by an 11 year old, I can find absolutely no way to justify Cobains position, none at all. Better than Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen?

Rumour has it Zakk Wylde was number 102 just behind Benji from Good Charlotte at number 101.

I still don't understand how Zakk Wylde doesn't make the list, but Kurt Cobain and Jack White do. Jesus Christ, Josh Homme is a better guitarist than both of them, and he's not even on the list.

Eric Clapton is probably the most overrated guitarist of his era. I don't like seeing him at #4, but hey, it's a Rolling Stone list. We shouldn't expect much.

No Prince and no ton of metal guitarists people probably care about makes this one, as usual, a wash.

Instantly, whenever these lists are made, people bitch about talentless guitar wankers like Malmsteen, Satriani, and Vai not making the list. Oh, and fuck Eddie Van Halen and Angus Young.

The list does suck, but for different reasons. No Skip James, namely.

Instantly, whenever these lists are made, people bitch about talentless guitar wankers like Malmsteen, Satriani, and Vai not making the list.

Ok, I can understand both not liking these guys, and considering them wankers, but calling them talentless?

That's just absurd.

At least Hendrix is at #1. I can't think of any other redeeming features of this list though. If Cobain deserves to be in it so does George Harrison, who was better and more influential. Slash and Prince have both been pointed out.

Guest TheGregWitul

This is the same magazine that gave Mick Jagger's solo album five stars. The same cock sucking, corporate kiss ass magazine that gave the same star rating (Three) to Hillary Duff, while talented bands like The Mars Volta, Aluminum Group, and BRMC each received the same praise...The same praise as Hilliary F'n Duff. Dashboard and Metallica four star albums, while 'Stillmatic' by Nas can just crack two stars...Please, this magazine has been a joke for a long time, kissing ass to certain musicians in return for positive press in future issues, that I have a hard time taking what they print for anything other than pretentious ass kissing hogwash.

This list is a fine example: Jack White at #17, Cobain at #12, the lack of Prince on the list, etc...While many of you people that dislike this list may voice your concern over the lack of Malmsteen, Slash, Satriani, Harrison, Vai, etc. I really have a problem with the fact that Prince was left off. The difference with the other musicians listed and Prince is the fact that while RS may of neglected those artists, many guitar fans know that they have great talent. The problem is a lot of people dismiss Prince, either because of his brilliant pop music, or the fact that they only know him from what they see on VH1 shows that look back on the 80's. Prince is one bad motherfucker on the guitar, and easily outranks the vast majority of the list. Some people believe that one man can not be so gifted a songwriter AND guitar player, but it is true. I lost any interest in the list once I saw that there was no mention of Prince...For shame RollingStone, for shame...

j.

Guest HHH's 'Roid Needle

How is Curt Cobain #12, but Curt Kirkwood isn't even in the Top 100? Was it not the same Curt Cobain who was unable to master the Meat Puppets guitar work, so he felt the need to invite Kirkwood and Company on Unplugged?

Kirkwood is a guitar god, plain and simple.

The list is a sham. A SHAM I SAY!

Malmsteen shouldn't crack in the top 100 since over half of his material isn't really his. Though skillful indeed, he tends to pick away from classical composers, and calls it his "own"

And Edwin how can you say Clapton is over-rated. He's usually over-looked, and is probably one of the best guitarists, next to Hendrix that came out of the era.

The list started out great with the top 7 with recongntion of Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, Duane Allman (too high to be at 2, but top 7 for sure)...then it went down hill from there.

Jimmy Page isn't a top 20 guitarist.

Richards isn't special by himself, its the chemestry with Richards, Ron Wood, and the other guitarist i forget.

Cobain shouldn't crack 100. But he falls under "I died early, so I must be a god" category...

well at least Cobain or Page wasn't number one, and have some sanity left over...

WHAT THE FUCK!!!

NO AL DI MEOLA

NO JERRY CANRTELL

NO MAIDEN TRIO

NO ALEX LIFESON

NO JOHN PETRUCCI

NO DAVE F'N MUSTAINE

NO MICHAEL SCHENKAR

well Robert Fripp made it which was surprising

Eddie Van Halen is #70? AFTER Kurt Cobain?

I swear if I ever find the fucker who made this list I'd run him down on sheer principle.

Guest BAR
EIGHTY-FUCKING-TWO????

Unbelievable, fucking pathetic. Oh shit, don't worry man: only about 70 places behind cock-n-load Kurt.

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist

I know it's already old to moan, but, uh....24?????? Hello

Guest Agent of Oblivion

well...that list exists.

It mentioned Zappa and Robert Fripp, so all is not lost. It's certainly...different. Special...almost cute in a way.

I was shocked to see Ry Cooder make the list, let alone at number eight. A pleasant surprise indeed. I'm also glad that Richard Thompson, Mike Bloomfield, Verlaine, Fripp, Cipollina and some others made the list. But ranking Pete Townshend at #50, below Kurt Cobain? What in the good name of fuck?!

Rather than repeat the complaints already made (most of which are completely valid) I'm going to point out two of my own ...

From the hippie department: How is Jerry Garcia that much higher than Trey from Phish?

From the punk department: How the FUCK is Johnny Ramone that much higher than Greg Ginn?

Neither Jerry or Johnny could EVER pull off the licks that Trey and Greg did, let alone be as versatile and influential.

Yet again, Rolling Stone reminds me why I don't read their crap magazine.