TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time

Page shoud trade places with Van Halen. Why? At least Eddie did something that was innovative, if not incredibly redundant.

You and your Zeppelin hate is getting to be too much for me. I won't say Jimmy Page is the best guitarist ever, but he's not #70 either. It's just that I've seen you bash Led Zeppelin several times before, and it really makes you look like you don't know what you're talking about.

Zeppelin's played out, my friend. I used to be a huge fan, now I can't stand them.

in Jack White's defense: you have to realize that he uses a very bad guitar, so he is only able to do a limited amount of guitar work. I doubt that even Clapton could make that POS work. But whenever White plays a Gretsch or a Gibson, it's beautiful sounding. Listen to "Elephant"...it's got some good shit on there.

and Kurt Cobain shouldn't even be on the list. That's just stupid.

Chuck Berry before SRV? Noooo...Berry may have been revolutionary, but Vaughn had much better work, and how many people can do a solo with a guitar behind their head?

Zeppelin's played out, my friend. I used to be a huge fan, now I can't stand them.

Led Zeppelin's great music will live on forever. People will forever hear Stairway To Heaven, and want to hear more. Same with Pink Floyd. As long as there are pissed-off high school youths, The Wall and Dark Side Of The Moon will sell.

Guest BAR
The Wall would sell a hell of a lot better if it wasn't £30.

Damn straight, my disc 1 got stolen from the car. I still got disc 2, the case, book, etc. Usually I'd buy another one but 30 quid? Hmm. I just bought PULSE a couple of weeks ago, that's was over £30. Gilmour is one rich bastard who ain't giving one penny to his 8 kids.

Guest Random Hero

Im dying to find The Wall on the cheap somewhere. I also refuse to pay £12 for Wish You Were Here, when it only has 5 songs on it.

Im dying to find The Wall on the cheap somewhere. I also refuse to pay £12 for Wish You Were Here, when it only has 5 songs on it.

Five songs but still twelve tracks. It doesn't matter how they subdivide it--it's about forty minutes of absolutely great music from start to finish. Best Floyd album ever, maybe?

Best Floyd album is Animals no doubt.

While I think Page is a tad over-rated, and definitly sloppy when tempo starts to pick up, he shouldn't be 70. Put him in the 50's for sure.

Les Paul got acknowledge.

And also Zakk Wylde can play behind his head, and play with his teeth, and also Jimi Hendrix as well.

Okay, as much as I like Nirvana even I will admit that Kurt Cobain did nothing innovative on the guitar. He probably should be on the list as a nod to the band, but at somewhere like 80.

Why has no one badmouthed the fact that Tony Iommi isn't higher than he is?

I'd say Meddle is their finest hour actually. And although too many people seem to bash it, The Division Bell is a GREAT album dammit.

Oh, how I love The Division Bell. What an album. "Keep Talking" is great and "High Hopes" is even greater. It has a Stairway feel now and then, but I just love that song.

I don't think I saw Dave Navarro on this list, either.

That's fucking hilarious, man.

I'd say Meddle is their finest hour actually. And although too many people seem to bash it, The Division Bell is a GREAT album dammit.

Oh, how I love The Division Bell. What an album. "Keep Talking" is great and "High Hopes" is even greater. It has a Stairway feel now and then, but I just love that song.

Funnily enough, the comparison of stairway and high hopes has actually crossed my mind, probably because of Gilmours awesome solo at the end. It also has great, even emotional lyrics.

I didn't like Division Bell that much at first, and I basically ignored it for a few years. My uncle put it back on last october, and i was unaware I had this little gem.

I still think Animals is the best album followed by WYWH, Meddle and DSOTM

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Noooo, it's all about DSOTM and prior. They had flashes after Dark Side, but prior to that, they just did a lot more with what they had at their disposal. They just seem more creative and ballsier in that time period, as opposed to settling into the groove of solid progressive rock.

Meddle, Animals. Dark Side of the Moon, and A Saucerful of Secrets.

Guest BAR

Agreed on Animals. Here's my top 5...

1. Animals

2. Wish You Were Here

3. P.U.L.S.E.

4. Dark Side of the Moon

5. The Wall

I enjoy 'Meddle' but hate 'San Tropez'. I think 'The Final Cut' is under-rated as it has a few gems on there. Yeah, I echo the sentiments: 'The Division Bell' is great.

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist
I don't think I saw Dave Navarro on this list, either.

That's fucking hilarious, man.

Why, Navarro's great

Agreed on Animals. Here's my top 5...

1. Animals

2. Wish You Were Here

3. P.U.L.S.E.

4. Dark Side of the Moon

5. The Wall

I enjoy 'Meddle' but hate 'San Tropez'. I think 'The Final Cut' is under-rated as it has a few gems on there. Yeah, I echo the sentiments: 'The Division Bell' is great.

I'm just not feeling Animals, except for "Sheep."

Top Ten: (this changes by like the day)

1. Wish You Were Here

2. Dark Side Of The Moon

3. The Wall

4. Obscured By Clouds

5. Meddle

6. Animals

7. The Division Bell

8. Ummagumma

9. A Saucerful of Secrets

10. The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

P.S.: Is anybody else besides me and Darryl feeling the Stairway-High Hopes connection?

Fun fact: If The Division Bell was never released, the Stairway lyric "The Piper will lead us to reason" would accurately reflect the Pink Floyd discography of original releases.

Guest JericholicEdgeHead

Now I know why everytime I go to a bookstore or grocery store and see that every issue of RollingStone has not been touched or even looked through, because RollingStone has become a complete joke.

Eddie Van Halen at #70??....get a clue RollingStone. I haven't bought or looked at a RollingStone for at least 10 years and that list sure won't make me want to look at another issue for another 10. They should just stick to covering Britney Spears and J-Lo, because RollingStone hasn't been about rock music for years.

Edited by JericholicEdgeHead

I'm just not feeling Animals, except for "Sheep."

Top Ten: (this changes by like the day)

1. Wish You Were Here

2. Dark Side Of The Moon

3. The Wall

4. Obscured By Clouds

5. Meddle

6. Animals

7. The Division Bell

8. Ummagumma

9. A Saucerful of Secrets

10. The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

P.S.: Is anybody else besides me and Darryl feeling the Stairway-High Hopes connection?

Fun fact: If The Division Bell was never released, the Stairway lyric "The Piper will lead us to reason" would accurately reflect the Pink Floyd discography of original releases.

Not feeling Animals? OUch. That hurts. "Pigs(Three Different Ones)" and "Dogs" are two fine tracks, my friend.

Since it seems trendy, I'll follw the crowd and list my favorite albums by The Floyd:

10.The Wall

9.The Division Bell

8.More

7.Ummagumma

6.Obscured by Clouds

5.A saucerful of Secrets

4.Animals

3.The Final Cut

2.The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

1.Meddle

I have much love for The Division Bell as well. "High Hopes", "Keep Talking", and "Lost for Words" are wonderful tracks that everyone should listen to.

And it is a travesty, even blasphemous that Gilmour is listed on at #82. I think that he has the best tone ever. His sound is perfect.