TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time

If you love Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here and the Wall, I can see why you can hate Animals. Animals isn't like the other three. Its not a regular Floyd album at all. Animals is just a raw sound of Pink Floyd, that isn't trippy on any sort.

Eric Clapton is probably the most overrated guitarist of his era..

Explain.

As for my other reactions to the list... they've all been covered.

But really Edwin, I want an explanation. Clapton was absolutely awesome in Cream, and though he's mellowed out with age like many other '60's funkadelic guitarists (RE: Lou Reed), he managed to produce PLENTY of classics even then. He's simply awesome. So you best be ready to back up him being not, biotch.

Guest Plushy Al Logan
Now I know why everytime I go to a bookstore or grocery store and see that every issue of RollingStone has not been touched or even looked through, because RollingStone has become a complete joke.

Eddie Van Halen at #70??....get a clue RollingStone. I haven't bought or looked at a RollingStone for at least 10 years and that list sure won't make me want to look at another issue for another 10. They should just stick to covering Britney Spears and J-Lo, because RollingStone hasn't been about rock music for years.

Don't say that, or Eddie Van Halen , and Jimi Hendrix will fall behind Britney Spears and J'Lo as the greatest guitarist.

Guest George Dawes

Mr Townsend in at number 50 what a pile poo poo

I must say Jack White is a cracking guitarist considering he plays three bits of guitar in most of his songs. :headbang:

Mr Townsend in at number 50 what a pile poo poo

I must say Jack White is a cracking guitarist considering he plays three bits of guitar in most of his songs. :headbang:

Considering that he couldn't play lead to save his life, and his rhythm wasn't thta spectacular, I'd say that #50 for Townshend is fairly high.

Now, if this were for songwriting, Pete would be MUCH higher.

Pete makes it up by the Windmill and smashing his guitar in amps and what not.

Pete is also a great rythem guitarist, if you ever see any old videos of himself playin to a small crowd, or Who video footage.

5 moves of doom, the reason I don't like Clapton (and the same reason usually applies for other people I know who don't like him) is I find him far too self-indulgent. There is an arrogance to his music I really don't like. That's really the best explanation I can give.

I liked him much more in Cream though, where I feel he was controlled a bit more. But his solo stuff just irks me.

Explain.

But really Edwin, I want an explanation. Clapton was absolutely awesome in Cream, and though he's mellowed out with age like many other '60's funkadelic guitarists (RE: Lou Reed), he managed to produce PLENTY of classics even then. He's simply awesome. So you best be ready to back up him being not, biotch.

i agree with clapton, but...are you implying that lou reed used to be a great guitarist?

Explain.

i agree with clapton, but...are you implying that lou reed used to be a great guitarist?

Well, he was sure as hell a great song writer. I can't really judge on the guitar-playing (people who actually play guitar would know better than me), but he certainly wasn't terrible or anything. I was just saying that his song writing and guitar work, much like Clapton's, mellowed out to the extreme as he got older.

ok, makes sense to just say that reed deteriorated with age (which he did). i was just wondering if the analogy carried over to "being an early guitar god." there was absolutely nothing special about his guitar playing. it fit the rough-and-ready VU style, but i think that's about all you can say about it.

sterling morrison's a different story, and while i don't think he's a guitar god, he was the best pure musician the velvets had, & a very good player in his own right.

ok, makes sense to just say that reed deteriorated with age (which he did). i was just wondering if the analogy carried over to "being an early guitar god." there was absolutely nothing special about his guitar playing. it fit the rough-and-ready VU style, but i think that's about all you can say about it.

sterling morrison's a different story, and while i don't think he's a guitar god, he was the best pure musician the velvets had, & a very good player in his own right.

Agreed. Huzzah.