TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anglesault

The Suckbag Superkick

I better point out that I am a fan of Orton before I type this to alert you to some possible favoritism. Orton really accentuates jumping with his RKO, which makes it look good to me. The fault I see is that Orton seldom hooks his left hand on the move. Is it an exact replica of DDP's? No. Should it be? No.

Like someone else mentioned of some japanese wrestlers doing better versions of the uranage than Rock, but have been programmed to accept Rock's Rock Bottom as the standard due to repeatedly seeing the move. If you recall Austin's early versions of the Stunner, it was slow and wasn't as nice visually as it became later.

I think Orton can and will improve on the quickness and crispness of the move as he continues to do it. DDP pulled his out of nowhere, and Orton has yet to do that. However, if Orton just doesn't do the move like DDP did does not constitute him doing the move badly. Austin had a pretty good Rock Bottom, and if we had been programmed to see his version of the move for years and then Rocky all of a sudden did a version of that in a match with him, we would think he didn't do as good a job as Austin did on the move.

Guest Ecto Cooler
If you recall Austin's early versions of the Stunner, it was slow and wasn't as nice visually as it became later.

His stunner's just a more dramatic variation of the stun-gun he used in WCW.

Guest Anglesault
I think Orton can and will improve on the quickness and crispness of the move as he continues to do it.

Considering that Orton hasn't improved in any category, I doubt that.

If you recall Austin's early versions of the Stunner, it was slow and wasn't as nice visually as it became later.

His stunner's just a more dramatic variation of the stun-gun he used in WCW.

I thought the Stungun was the Hotshot, when you get the guy held up like a spinebuster but fall back so his neck bounces off the rope.

By the way, yes, the seminal Stone Cold Stunner was different in that he took a little longer to position the guy and I think may have gotten off the ground a bit more with it. It wasn't the fluid motion of the KICK-WHAM-STUNNER we see today.

Guest Trivia247

don't forget the Hogan Cutter

and the Hogan canrana circa 1990 vs Stan Hanson

and Anglesault's right, Orton's Superkick look too stiff and I don't mean he really hit him to hurt him. I mean his body was too stiff in the motion, its as if he did a Big boot only from the side. and there wasn't a step then kick motion.

Guest Redhawk

Shawn Michaels' version of the Pedigree

Vince McMahon's version of the Stunner

Zach Gowen's version of anything

Most everyone's version of the Spinaroonie

Guest Anglesault
How in the hell did this thread manage to get to two pages without anyone mentioning the "Sharpshooter" that Rocky does?

first post

How in the hell did this thread manage to get to two pages without anyone mentioning the "Sharpshooter" that Rocky does?

first post

Whoops.

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist

Well, If Benoit used the Wildbomb as a legit finish...then i'd say anyone else who's ever used a powerbomb

Problem is that 8 times out of ten, a decent powerbomb is a great visual

Guest swilk

Billy Gunn tried adding Goldberg's jackhammer to his already impressive moveset.

Pretty pathetic.

Since the Stunner has been brought up, I'd like to say that McMahon's version was actually pretty good--groin kick, one handed Stunner. Not the same, but cool in its own right.

Worst Stunner? Ed Leslie's. The Disciple stole the move and Hogan called it the "Apocalypse." It was absolutely terrible-looking.

Anglesault, I think it's pretty unfair to say that Orton hasn't improved anything. You might not like his push, but you should be able to see his improvement.

RVD's Crossface on Benoit.

Huh? RVD tried the crossface? I really don't remember that, but I'm having a fun time imagining it right now.

Heh.

I could be wrong--but Summerslam 2K2?

Guest Anglesault
Anglesault, I think it's pretty unfair to say that Orton hasn't improved anything. You might not like his push, but you should be able to see his improvement.

He's gone from terrible to horrible. Nice improvement

No heat, no mic skills, poor ring skills.

Guest Bobby Cox is God

Gosh Anglesault...didn't you see that ***** preformance he had at Summerslam? Jeez, he is the ultimate example of improvement.

*turns off sarcasm*

Funny, because I didn't mind Orton much in the Chamber. I thought he was pretty good in there, actually. I'm glad it looks like he's feuding with Maven, who might be able to teach him how to wrestle properly.

...and I'm only being HALF sarcastic.

I think one of the worse rip-off moves I've seen was Buff Bagwell's Double-Arm DDT. It only looked good when he did it to David Flair, and nobody else, because Flair took that shit like a MAN.

Ortons RKO is used more as a finesse move rather than the impact move that DDP used (which is why he only does it with one arm/hand - the other is used as a "hey, look one hand")It's like "well, it's an already established finisher, so why try making it look painful?" There is no attempt to make the move "technically" legitimate and it comes off horribly. And this is from someone who *doesn't* hate Orton.

RRR: Doesn't understand why it wasn't called the "Ace Crusher" given Ortons heritage.

Ok, I *do* understand why: they're morons. But other than that... "well, Marc Mero had a move called the TKO which had a cutter at the end of it... "

Guest Army Eye

The worst bastardizations of any wrestling moves are Rock's "Salad Shooter" and "Barely-to-belly suplex"

I liked Hogans Rock Bottom on the Rock at Mania 18. It was much better than that guy who does it... what's his name... he's tall... sorta funny lookin...um... oh, THE ROCK.

No one ever really manages to get a good cripplers crossface on Benoit. Maybe it's because his arms are waaaay too small to hook and it crunches the guy up doing it. Benoit, however, did the worlds greatest ankle lock to Angle at RR03 with the ~double wristlock~ applied around the ankle.

Guest EternallyLazy
I have to agree with everyone who says the RKO (calling that pile of crap a Diamond Cutter is a slap in the face to DDP) is one of the worst. Every time I see it, I am instantly reminded of Hogan's version.

calling it the RKO is a slap in the face to Orson Welles lol

Angle did an excellent variation on the crossface to Lesnar before their Mania match, but instead of hooking the arm like Benoit does, he jammed his knee into Lesnar's back/side. Looked painful as hell.

I have to agree with everyone who says the RKO (calling that pile of crap a Diamond Cutter is a slap in the face to DDP) is one of the worst. Every time I see it, I am instantly reminded of Hogan's version.

Almost like when Hurricane called Kane "Citizen Kane" and NOBODY got it.

Almost like when Hurricane called Kane "Citizen Kane" and NOBODY got it.

Yeah, but he didn't do anyone remotely like Charles Foster Kane.

And if he would have, it would have been a bigger slap in the face to Welles if a show like Raw attempted to parody CK in any way.