TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

Whose the most overrated nfl player ever?

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Kurt Warner, because hes got 3 of the best WR in the NFL AND he has the best RB in the NFL as well.

You put Warner at QB for the Carolina Panthers and see how good he does.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Kurt Warner.  For the reasons mention above, plus he also has a great defense, and he is always among the league leaders in turnovers committed.

How this guy won MVP when he is only about the 6th or 7th best player on the team is beyond my skills to figure out.

Guest Tony149

Looks like Kurt Warner has a clean sweep going. I also say Kurt. Faulk, the WR's and the defense are the reason the team wins. Warner just has to make sure he doesn't fumble the ball to Faulk and has to make sure he throws the ball to his WR's.

Guest Army Eye

Don't forget the ridiculous amount of pass protection he gets.  Usually he can spend all day back there.  When a team actually gets a decent pass rush on him, Warner suddenly looks VERY ordinary

Guest Kingpk

Warner

The SuperBowl showed that when he has to scramble and make quick decisions, he's not as great as people say.

Guest Below the Glass Ceiling

I'm going to break the string and say Kordell Stewart.  Sure, he had a pretty good year, but the man can't handle it in the clutch, and he showed that by throwing three picks in the AFC Championship Game.

Other overrated luminaries...

Kurt Warner - Everyone has said what needs to be said.

Sebastian Janikowski - He has one hell of a leg, but he hasn't done anything extraordinary.  Sometimes he'll lose a game.

Guest Below the Glass Ceiling

I guess Janikowski would have been better labelled "dissapointing" rather than "over-rated".  Eh, what can you do?

Guest theWCWRaider

Chris Carter is a putts, and I don't care what his stats say.

People talk about him being such a class act, but this season would prove differently.

That all could be just because the Minnesota Viqueens are my least favorite sports team ever.

BTW, with Janikowski, its really hard to compare him to anyone because kickers typically aren't drafted as high as him.

If he can stay the hell out of jail, and keep his foot disinfected, he can be an awesome kicker.

I'm not a Warner fan either...of course, I think the Rams have a good offense, but its one thing where if you take out the QB, and put in someone else, they can be just as productive, as Warner.

Guest Brooding Genius

I'll go against the grain and say Emmitt Smith.

He's been shown to be a pretty ordinary running back without the huge offensive lines that Jimmy Johnson built for him.

Guest theStranger

Well I agree with all the points made about Kurt Warner but I really have to question glass ceiling's choice of Kordell Stewart as most overrated player. No one ever said that he would be the quarterback to lead the Steelers to the promised land. I didn't hear people saying that Kordell was a great leader and all that jazz. In fact I still heard people insinuating that he's gay and he relies on the Steelers great running game too much.

I will say this much. Stewart met my expectations and apart from the last couple of years he has met my expectations throughout his career. Yes he self-imploded in the AFC title game but you can also contribute that to the Pats great defense and the VERY simple passing scheme that the Steelers employ

Guest Army Eye
Pace is one of those players better than Warner on the Rams.

Yeah.  Just off the top of my head I can name five Rams better at what they do than Warner:  Marshall Faulk, Isaac Bruce, Aeneas Williams, Orlando Pace, Torry Holt

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic

Deion Sanders, hands down.  Great cover guy?  Sure.  But "best cornerback ever"?  Blow me.  The man never, ever, evereverevereverever made a hit.  Give me a guy like Rod Woodson any day.  

Second place goes to Warner.  A trained chimp could throw for 3,000 yards with that offense.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

Gotta go with the majority and say Warner, but Deion makes second place for being a pure pussy.

Guest Vern Gagne

Junior Seau. I can't stand how this guy plays LB. He's allowed to roam around, and when I've seen him he's out of position alot.

Big deal if Deon Sanders isn't a good tackler. He takes away half the field. The other 10 guys can tackle. If a CB can do what Deon did than tackling isn't a top priority.

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic
Big deal if Deon Sanders isn't a good tackler. He takes away half the field. The other 10 guys can tackle. If a CB can do what Deon did than tackling isn't a top priority.

He was a great cover corner.  But a lot of people consider him to be the best cornerback to ever play the game, and it aggravates me to no end that a player as INCOMPLETE as Deion Sanders could be labeled the best ever.  It's not like he would TRY to make a hit, either; he looked like a bullfighter on sweeps to his side sometimes.  It's not that he wasn't a good tackler, he wasn't even a mediocre tackler.  Someone so lacking in one fundamental area of the game of football can't be the best ever.

There are quite a few guys who have a much more complete game than Deion RIGHT NOW.  Most of them are only 3-6 years into their careers, and probably have a lot of good years ahead of them.  Of course, they don't get the press Deion did - playing two sports, whoring himself out to the highest bidder, speaking in arrogant sound bites, and so forth.  It's a shame, too.

Guest mw679

Gotta go with Deion, too. Yes, he was a great cover man, but seriously, he never tackled anyone that I've seen....We would make fun of him in work all the time, he mostly just pushed the WR out of bounds or something...Now you wanna talk about the best CB ever....Dick "Nighttrain" Lane(R.I.P.), If Deion tackled like that man tackled, then he could be considered the best CB ever. Hang 'em high clothesline tackles...Just awesome watching Lane play the position.

Guest Crippler15

Well I am going to say Jim Brown. He was a great player but people but him in the top 5 athletes of the last hundred years and I am not sure if he is in my top 10 football players of the last 100 years

Guest Sassquatch

I'll have to go with Deion too.

Most people have already said what I was going say about him anyways.

Guest Silvpak

Junior Seau is up there;  the dude pays ZERO attention to the defensive formation...he just roams around, looking to make tackles.  I'd put Barry Sanders up there too;  one yard, - 3 yard, -2 yard, 1 yard, 57 yards........  You can't win with a RB like that.

If you think Jim Brown is either overrated or not either the first or second best professional football player in history you simply know absolutely nothing about professional football.  End of story.

Guest Vern Gagne

Jim Brown never blocked, or caught passes. He's overrated in a sense that he's not the Top 5 player lots of people say he is. Walter Payton was the better all around RB.

Guest Army Eye

Barry Sanders??  Sigh.  Yeah he got negative yard carries some of the time, due to being tackled in the backfield immediately thanks to Detroit's sieve-like offensive line.  All I need to know about Barry is that he put up comparable stats to Emmitt Smith all through their careers while Emmitt was running behind the best offensive line in the league.

The Deion=overrated advocates I don't agree with, but it's a neverending argument.  I think his tremendous cover abilities makes up for his lack of tackling ability.  Some people don't.  Sure there are some more COMPLETE CBs playing right now, but none of them can cover like Deion did.

Guest Vern Gagne

Why is Kurt Warner the overrated player on the Rams. Maybe Faulk, Holt, and Bruce are even better because of Kurt Warner.

Guest AaronRock70

Hands down, Emmitt Smith. Warner won't last long enough to break the all-time passing records, unlike this Dallas fuck that won't go away.

Emmitt can break Paytons record if that is what makes him happy, but nobody is going to look back in 20 years and say, damn, Emmitt Smith was better than Walter Payton. Or Barry. Or Jim Brown. He's an above-average talent that played behind mega-lines his whole career and now is just hanging on to break something he doesn't deserve to break.