TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

New GNR song on the radio

Apparently a DJ named Eddie Trunk got his hands on a new GNR song called "IRS". The only people who got to hear were the people listening that night. Bastard..............

"Well what can I say, another huge news making show this past Friday! Mike Piazza returned as our in studio co-host, and came in with a surprise, new Guns & Roses! The reaction since we premiered the new song IRS has been unreal. Mike (who has always been a huge G&R fan) received the CD anonymously in his fan mail. Leave it to the co-host to once again come through big time with a tremendous exclusive! I have been hammered by people looking for copies and to hear it again. For obvious reasons I will not be posting it or giving it to anybody, and more than likely, will not be able to play it again. But for those that caught it, thanks for listening. Like I always say, you never know what's going to happen on the show!"------from www.eddietrunk.com

All The Details On Guns & Roses, as Eddie Trunk & Mike Piazza make world news playing the new song first!! Please read before eMailing RE: G&R!!!!

Posted By Eddie Trunk on 09.01.03

I have been HAMMERED with email from all over the globe regarding my exclusive airing of the new Guns & Roses track IRS this past Friday. This has become a MAJOR story, and I'm trying to get back to as many people as I can, but simply can not respond to everybody. Here is the latest on what went down:

My friend and occassional co-host Mike Piazza paid a visit to the show close to Midnight. As you could imagine, Mike gets a tremendous amount of fan mail, and being a hard rock and G&R fan, lot's of CDs in his mail. Mike came in with a CD that was labeled as new Guns. It was packaged anonymously. Mike wasn't sure if it was legit, but we put it on the air, and the phones went nuts. The song was called IRS and sounded like Illusion era G&R, with a few modern touches (loops, samples in intro). I don't think it was 100% complete, but sounded pretty close. We took live calls about it, and people were blown away at the exclusive they just heard on my show (not to mention it was a star baseball player that came up with it!). I like G&R, but I'm not a fanatic, but I must say, the song was really good. There were other tracks and music on the CD as well, but I only had a chance to listen to them on the ride home. Mike left the CD with me, so I could determine what to do with it from there. Questions of how legit this recording was were quickly squashed when I started to get calls and email from the bands management on Saturday. This was VERY legit! A few facts here:

It will NOT be played again! Now that I know it was legit, I have co-operated completely with the bands management, and have been asked to turn over the CD, which I did. I no longer have it. It was not labeled in anyway, it was just a burned CDR.

The song will not be included on the replay show. I have been forced to edit it out (another reason why my show is best heard live!). There are legal issues if you don't comply, and I will be served with papers to prohibit the repeated airing even if I still had it and wanted to!! It will not be heard again until it is an official release.

The rest of the CD was also cool. It sounded like a total of 3 songs, with instrumental versions of each of the 3, making a total of 6 tracks (I think). The last track, which I did not play, was the best. A great rocker, with tons of shredding guitar from Buckethead. I don't know what the title was, but I kinda wish I had the chance to play that one as well. Mike & I didn't really know what we had, so we just played the first track IRS.

We have no idea where this came from. Mike threw out the packaging when he went through his fan mail weeks ago. I would say it was somebody that works in a studio, or perhaps an intentional leak to build buzz. Of course I'm just thrilled they picked my show and Mike to send it to! If you remember, there were also reports a couple months ago of Axl playing this music in strip clubs, maybe another source? Again, we have no idea!

Again, I have co-operated fully with the bands management. It will not be replayed and I no longer have it.

Like I always say, you never know what's going to happen on the show! This is just another reason why you should be hammering your local stations to carry my show live. It is available anywhere in the US. Your voice counts! If you don't get the show, tell your local stations program directors you want it!! Piazza hung out for a couple hours total, and the always hysterical Jim Breuer dropped by after a Metallica club show. Just a great way to kick off the labor day weekend. A great mix of music, talk and giveaways, and of course, exclusive music!

Guest Ecto Cooler

They might not be as good as the original lineup, but they're still a damn good band.

When it takes a decade to release an album...my hopes are not high. What's so wrong with the album that he needs to make constant changes.

Axl took a long time on the two Use Your Illusions too. It's a matter of perfection, plus he supposedly has up to 3 albums worth of songs to finish and choose from.

When it takes a decade to release an album...my hopes are not high. What's so wrong with the album that he needs to make constant changes.

Nothing is wrong with the album, YnA, however everything is wrong with Axl Rose.

Axl is the world's worst perfectionist and is NEVER satisfied with how his work turns out. He has stated in several interviews that UYI was released too early by his standards and could of been so much more, despite being two brilliant albums.

I do not doubt at all that this album could of been ready to hit the shelves in like 1994, however Axl's personality and mental issues are what is holding it back.

Dizzy Reed recently commented that the album will hopefully be out before Thanksgiving (one word? two? Fuck it, I'm Australian) this year. With evidence surfacing all over the place to support this (Axl trialling the album in night clubs, releasing singles to friends etc.), it certainly looks as though we will have GNR's Chinese Democracy by the time 2003 is finished.

UYI

New GNR Tune Leaked By ... NY Mets Catcher Mike Piazza?!

This might be weird if it didn't involve Guns N' Roses.

Since it does, however, it shouldn't be at all shocking that New York Mets catcher Mike Piazza is responsible for playing a new Guns N' Roses song on the radio.

Piazza appeared on New York classic rock station Q104.3's Friday night show, "Friday Night Rocks... with Eddie Trunk," with a CD marked "Guns N' Roses, 'I.R.S.', " which he said he received in the mail three weeks ago. He persuaded Trunk to play the song at 12:15 a.m. Saturday morning.

Almost immediately the station was flooded with calls. One listener described it as combining rock and techno — Axl Rose's distinctive voice on top of Buckethead's unorthodox guitar work. One of the calls, however, was from GNR's management.

"We've gotten hundreds, dare I say, thousands, of emails since, urging us to play it again," said Q104.3's program director Bob Buchmann. "But we can't because the management flipped when they heard it on the air."

Because Trunk deals with the same management company often and has a professional relationship with them, a simple phone call took the place of any legal cease-and-desist letter. There still was the matter of having a new GNR song in circulation, though.

So adamant was the GNR camp to retrieve the disc, they arranged to meet with Trunk, to whom Piazza had given the CD, as soon as possible. And that just happened to be at Shea Stadium on Sunday, while the Mets were hosting a game with the Atlanta Braves. "I.R.S." joins "Madagascar," which Guns N' Roses' premiered at the 2002 Video Music Awards, as the only new material which may appear on the long overdue new LP, Chinese Democracy.

The strange story begs two questions: Was this really a new Guns N' Roses song? And if so, why would Mike Piazza be among the first to give it a spin?

A spokesperson for GNR's label, Interscope Records, had no comment, but given the fact that management "flipped," they wouldn't have had a reason to were it a tune by Paradise City, Mr. Brownstone, Bent Axle, or any number of the GNR tribute bands. Plus, Buchmann swears Piazza told him it was GNR's new song.

Neither Piazza or Trunk were available for comment, but Buchmann said both are convinced the song was the real thing.

As for Piazza being comeback rock's new litmus test, Buchmann said it happens more often than not.

"Mike is a huge music fan," Buchmann said. "The truth is, Mike is so passionate about certain music that I would argue that he's on the top-10 list of real music fans that a band might circulate their unreleased stuff to. Piazza's a riot. He's as passionate as they come."

The lucky catcher has probably been listening to those new Duran Duran joints for months now, too.

—Joe D'Angelo

From www.heretodaygonetohell.com

It's like YNA just saves that joke about the GNR coverband to his clipboard for when a new thread starts.

I've been there, I've seen it, and this band can play.

You might not like it, and I know you don't care...but it's true.

You're hardly the only one.

You'd be surprised how many supporters GNR *still* has after all these years, and even more surprised to discover the majority of them are teenagers.

I stand by the belief this album is gonna kick everyone's teeth in and make a serious impact, whether the critics like it or not.

UYI

When it takes a decade to release an album...my hopes are not high. What's so  wrong with the album that he needs to make  constant changes.

Nothing is wrong with the album, YnA, however everything is wrong with Axl Rose.

Axl is the world's worst perfectionist and is NEVER satisfied with how his work turns out. He has stated in several interviews that UYI was released too early by his standards and could of been so much more, despite being two brilliant albums.

So should we expect the follow up in 2012?

When it takes a decade to release an album...my hopes are not high. What's so  wrong with the album that he needs to make  constant changes.

So should we expect the follow up in 2012?

The follow-ups are already recorded and ready to go.

Having an opinion is great, as long as it is educated.

UYI

I'm predicting lukewarm reactions, with a couple good tracks.

When I first heard some of the new stuff, I thought "The Blues" would be a definite hit single, something that could even cross over to the pop stations like "Sweet Child" or "November Rain" did. But Axl has called the 5 or 6 tracks we have heard so far "the filler" on the album, and he is supposedly holding back the big guns. I think in the end it could rank up there as one of the greatest albums of all time, if Axl didn't fuck up the tour last year and start so much GNR backlash. It'll probably be treated as a joke, except to those who actually know music or are GNR diehards. Hell, it can't be worse then ST. Anger though.

I'm predicting lukewarm reactions, with a couple good tracks.

When I first heard some of the new stuff, I thought "The Blues" would be a definite hit single, something that could even cross over to the pop stations like "Sweet Child" or "November Rain" did. But Axl has called the 5 or 6 tracks we have heard so far "the filler" on the album, and he is supposedly holding back the big guns. I think in the end it could rank up there as one of the greatest albums of all time, if Axl didn't fuck up the tour last year and start so much GNR backlash. It'll probably be treated as a joke, except to those who actually know music or are GNR diehards. Hell, it can't be worse then ST. Anger though.

What is with all the frikken St.Anger hate? The album blows ANYTHING and EVERYTHING the band has done since Load, with maybe the exception of their cover album Garage Inc.

While the music may not suit everyone's taste, it is clearly the most raw and brutal (yes, the good way) Metallica has been in a long, long time - and that is the way the band started, and should have remained.

St.Anger is brilliant, frankly I think if GNR were to top this album in terms of quality then they'd have one killer album on their hands.

UYI

Guest Black Tiger

People can make all the cracks about Axl, Dizzy, and the new band all they want, and the new album may even not be that great. But based on the strength of AFD and both of the UYI and even on GN'R LIES, there will always be legions of both Axl Rose fans and Guns N' Roses fans. One of which is myself.

Long live Guns N' Fucking Roses

Guest Mindless_Aggression

People tend to be bothered by St. Anger because IMO it is processed "brutality" so to speak. It sounds forced to me and not at all natural. It's not nu metal but it has the same spirit of "dammit! Look how angry we are!"

I still hold out hope for the new GnR just because Buckethead is an overall better guitarist than Slash. Dunno about the rest of the band but Buckethead and Axl alone will at the very least provide something interesting.

Guest Black Tiger

St. Anger (to me anyways) sounds like Metalica just released an album to release another album. I'm not too big on Metalica. I like the usual songs by them but I'm not way over the top with my Metalica fanship.

By waiting so long, I think Chinese Democracy will be even better, because of how persistent Axl is on getting it perfect. Axl may have gotten fat and gross looking, but I bet he can still sing like a mutha fucka

What is with all the frikken St.Anger hate?

I blame the constant BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM noise. No, it's not a drum, it's NOISE. All I can hear is that fucking snare "drum" that sounds like Lars decided that playing on a garbage can would be a good idea.

I also blame the forced feel. Why are they suddenly so angry again? Oh, right, to sell records. If you ask me, St. Anger is more proof of selling out then Load was. And the fact that some songs, like "St. Anger" are 7 MINUTES LONG, when there's really just about a 4 or 5 minute song in there, stretched out to make it seem like they're all badass and writing long songs again, or something.

As far as Guns 'n' Roses go, I've never really been a fan, so I won't comment.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

I enjoy Lars banging on a trash can as hard as he can. And the fact that Hetfield tries to scream and curses more on that album than on any past says a lot. Dammit we are angry, we swear!

The new GnR will probably be over produced as hell but I'd take an over produced GnR over no GnR.

I also blame the forced feel. Why are they suddenly so angry again? Oh, right, to sell records. If you ask me, St. Anger is more proof of selling out then Load was. And the fact that some songs, like "St. Anger" are 7 MINUTES LONG, when there's really just about a 4 or 5 minute song in there, stretched out to make it seem like they're all badass and writing long songs again, or something.

I disagree.

After Load and ReLoad, Metallica fans (the majority anyway) expressed negativity towards 'Tallica's choice to go more mellow and melodic with their music. Being a member of MetClub.com, I can tell you all first hand that they have multiple forums. where the band post themselves at times, that allow feedback on everything they do.

Metallica fans WANTED them to go heavy again, they wanted them to try and be as brutal as they could while still retaining the Metallica feel to the music. All Metallica has done with St.Anger is comply to the requests of their fans, whom they are very, very good to.

One friend of mine, in MetClub, actually recieved a phone call from James Hetfield on his wedding day as a surprise present. James commented that 'It's never, ever too late to pull out, you know'. Funny guy.

However, if you feel that Anger is 'selling out' and isn't your style, then that is perfectly fine. It's just a shame you cannot get what I do from the record.

UYI

Metallica fans WANTED them to go heavy again, they wanted them to try and be as brutal as they could while still retaining the Metallica feel to the music.

And they did it.

Metallica changed their style to appeal to a different group of people and sell records to them.

That, to me, is the very definition of selling out - changing your current musical direction to sell more records. Which is exactly what Metallica did, only instead of trying to appeal to a new auidence, they're trying to appeal to the old auidence that they shunned when they wrote Load.

I'd like to enjoy the album too - I really would. But I honestly can't.