TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Great opening acts...sucky headliner.

This thread comes up because I'm contemplating going to a Matchbox 20 show...not because of Matchbox 20 of course. I might go because of the opening act Fountains of Wayne. I've heard horrible reviews of Matchbox 20 shows, but a chance to see Fountains of Wayne is tempting. But this thread isn't about really about that show. This about shows with opening acts who tore the roof off the place and headliners that put it back on.

The only example I can think of (and I will deservedly get flamed to the bowels of hell for this) is a festival sponsored by the local Top 40 station. The second to last act on the show was Eifel 65 who did a off the wall energetic set that was surprisingly good. The set was short, swift and made the audience want more. Eifel 65 played only 5 songs (Three of which were different remixes and variations of Blue) and were the only act that almost got an encore. After the headliner Vertical Horizon got up and played a sleep enducing 90 minute set and they only had one hit at the time. I've never seen an arena clear out faster than I did at that concert.

I went and saw the Ramones only because Social Distortion was opening. Saw Social D, sat through as much of the Ramones as I could stomach (about 20 minutes or so) and headed out.

Social D > Ramones.

To be honest, I can only speak for such occurances in festival terms, so I suppose that doesn't really count, but when The Soundtrack of our Lives, Mercury Rev and Pulp among others play under The Strokes, well, you get the idea.