TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Official College Football thread

Damn! The Terps had a chance to tie up NC State but Novak Missed the Extra point. NC State got the back with a bit less than 3 minutes. They got run good running play off for almost 20 yards, and then the next play Rivers fumbled the ball. Terps have the ball with 1 minute to go inside the 30 with a chance to get the GW FG. Its 24-23..

Eli is still one of the top three players in college football, damnit.

Agreed, that throw off of his back foot while he was about to get jacked during that drive with the final missed field goal was CRAZY sick.

Hey Discojunge,

Which side are you on in the SC/Clemson battle?

I think you said before, but I forgot

I hate USC much more than Clemson, which merely annoys me. And Clemson beat one of my top three most hated teams in Florida State, so I'm rooting for them. Also: same colors as Tennessee, and their coach, while a Bowden, is much cooler than Lou "my heart will explode if we do so much as have a holding penalty against us" Holtz.

Im rooting for the Gamecocks to beat Clemson since a Clemson loss means the Terps would be the #2 seed in the ACC and go to the Toyota Gator Bowl vs #2 Big East Team on January 1rst which could be Pittsburgh West Virginia or Miami (if Miami loses to Pittsburgh). I dont think playing Miami in Florida (Jacksonville) would be a good matchup (remembers Maryland getting spanked by Florida in the Orange Bowl a few years ago). Maryland already beat WV 34-7 this year. Pittsburgh would be a tough game..

Im rooting for the Gamecocks to beat Clemson since a Clemson loss means the Terps would be the #2 seed in the ACC and go to the Toyota Gator Bowl

Well Clemson/South Carolina has no effect on Maryland because its a non-conference game. As long as Maryland avoids an upset to Wake Forest next week, they are going to the Gator Bowl. Even if they lost next they'd finish in a tie for 2nd with Clemson and they beat Clemson so they'd probably still get the nod although the Gator Bowl wouldn't be under any obligation to take Maryland over Clemson.

Anyways...you can pencil Maryland into the Gator Bowl.

Im rooting for the Gamecocks to beat Clemson since a Clemson loss means the Terps would be the #2 seed in the ACC and go to the Toyota Gator Bowl

Well Clemson/South Carolina has no effect on Maryland because its a non-conference game. As long as Maryland avoids an upset to Wake Forest next week, they are going to the Gator Bowl. Even if they lost next they'd finish in a tie for 2nd with Clemson and they beat Clemson so they'd probably still get the nod although the Gator Bowl wouldn't be under any obligation to take Maryland over Clemson.

Anyways...you can pencil Maryland into the Gator Bowl.

I just want Clemson to lose just to make sure theres no funny business.

Question: Is the Rose Bowl going back to the classic Big 10 champ vs. Pac 10 champ (or the 2nd place team if the champ team goes to the title game) this year? Or have they pretty much said "Fuck tradition" since last year's game?

*resists urge to go on 5 page rant about the BCS ruining the Rose Bowl*

In any event...the Rose Bowl is always tied to the Pac-10 and Big Ten except in year's they host the national championship. Michigan will go the Rose Bowl automatically now barring an armaggedon scenerio where USC and LSU both lose and you get a two loss team in the Sugar Bowl.

The Rose Bowl is all about tradition but the Orange Bowl fucked them over last year by taking Iowa instead of allowing them to take Ohio State's spot (since they were playing for the national championship) and have the Big Ten represented in the Rose Bowl. This year the Rose Bowl will take Washington State, assuming USC is in the Sugar Bowl...well unless they blow against Washington which they appear they might do...

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK...Wazzu blows it.

No Pac-10/Big Ten match-up in the Rose bowl for a THIRD straight year.

FUCK THE BCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have fun in the Holiday Bowl losers.

Edited by Bored

Well Washington State just fucked everything up beyond solving the Holiday Bowl picture that everyone is talking about. :P

The Fiesta Bowl will have first pick this year (at least that's what I've heard but you can never know with the BCS) and they'd probably take Texas, assuming they don't blow their game against A&M, and then Rose Bowl will pick 2nd to fill USC's open spot, assuming they are in the Sugar Bowl. My guess at this point is they'll take the SEC champ now.

Gee great never see a Big Ten/SEC match-up on January 1st. :rolleyes:

Hoo boy, can't wait for that Michigan vs. SEC champion Rose Bowl matchup... yee... haw...

On the other hand, were Tennessee to go, things would get quite interesting between myself and Discojunge (rematch from two years ago, baybee)

like Big Ten/SEC matchups. Power and smashmouth against the exact science of balancing power and speed that only such a great conference as the SEC can hone.

Yes but do we need three of them in the same day? I'm not going to win you over since your an SEC fan and believe me I'd rather have the SEC champ over Florida State which might be the other alternative in the Rose Bowl.

Personally I think they should move the Outback Bowl off January 1st as it doesn't have the same tradition as the other games that day and again you already get a more prestigious SEC/Big Ten match-up in the bowl formerly known as the Citrus Bowl.

Should add now with Washington St. gone, Ohio State probably slips back into a BCS bowl as an at-large.

Edited by Bored

Guest Choken One

This annoys me...You have already fucked with tradition enough...Might as well just fully do it and had the four BCS bowls (rose, fiesta, Sugar and Orange) and had a system...

Sugar- #1 vs #2

Orange-#3 Vs #4

Rose- #5 Vs #6

Fiesta- #7 Vs #8

Actually OSU has no guarentee of a BCS bowl. If Texas moves up to #4 in the BCS they automatically get an at-large berth and if Washington St. wins today the Rose Bowl is going to take them as they want a Pac-10/Big Ten match-up, assuming USC wins out and goes to the Sugar Bowl. That would then put Ohio St. in the Corporate Whore Bowl, I mean Capital One Bowl.

Forgot about the #4 automatic rule. But the reason the Fiesta is so big on Ohio State is that they brought in an estimated 120,000 to the Tempe area last year. Not that they would bring in that many since its not for the national title. And the fact that if K-State or the Florida/Georgia/Tennessee winner beats LSU or Oklahoma, I think both LSU or Oklahoma get BCS bids over Ohio State.

If K-State and the SEC East champ win, the BCS bids would go to:

K-State (Big 12)

SEC East champ (SEC)

Florida State (ACC)

Miami, Pittsburgh, or West Virginia (Big East)

Michigan (Big Ten)

USC (Pac Ten)

Oklahoma (At Large)

Texas or, less likely, LSU (At Large)

Oklahoma is a no-brainer because even a one-loss Oklahoma would still be a top-3 BCS team. Texas is a harder choice but their current ranking shows that they'd probably vault ahead of LSU. LSU's current BCS numbers are about 12 points. Given that the best portion of their BCS numbers is their poll ranking, that would immediately disappear following a loss.

Actually, I think that the Big 12 rules are that the BCS poll is a tie-breaker for who gets the spot in the Big 12 title game in case of a tie for a divisional title. However, I'm sure there's an article out there somewhere that covers everything in more detail.

Oh yeah.. your recap

Clemson murders SC, 63-17

Louisville beats Houston, 66-45

Navy crushes CMU, 63-24

Tennessee crushes Vandy, 48-0 in the closest TenVan game in some time.

BC beats Tech

and Hawaii is whupping Army

like Big Ten/SEC matchups. Power and smashmouth against the exact science of balancing power and speed that only such a great conference as the SEC can hone.

Yes but do we need three of them in the same day? I'm not going to win you over since your an SEC fan and believe me I'd rather have the SEC champ over Florida State which might be the other alternative in the Rose Bowl.

Personally I think they should move the Outback Bowl off January 1st as it doesn't have the same tradition as the other games that day and again you already get a more prestigious SEC/Big Ten match-up in the bowl formerly known as the Citrus Bowl.

Look at it this way: with the additions to the ACC next year, they'll take some of these matchup spots. There are too many teams in the new ACC that would be lucrative to a bowl commission.

Let's just pray they don't create any more.

BCS problem arises for Big 12

League working to ensure champ will get in a major bowl

By BLAIR KERKHOFF

The Kansas City Star

You want Bowl Championship Series controversy?

How about a scenario where Kansas State or Missouri wins the Big 12 championship game and doesn't end up in a Bowl Championship Series game, which is promised to the league winner?

What?

The BCS rule says its championship game matches the first- and second-place teams in the final BCS standings. Other rules stipulate a team from a BCS conference like the Big 12 gets an automatic bid as an at-large team and that no more than two teams from one conference can play in BCS bowls.

If an undefeated Oklahoma narrowly loses at Arrowhead Stadium on Dec. 6, the Sooners could fall to no lower than second, given what would be a huge lead in the BCS standings entering the game.

Also, Texas, fifth in the latest standings, could move up to No. 4 by the final week.

Does that mean Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl, Texas in the Fiesta, and Kansas State or Missouri in the Cotton, left out of a BCS bowl?

Hold on, cat lovers. The Big 12 office is aware of the situation, and commissioner Kevin Weiberg spent much of his Monday on the phone with other commissioners (BCS officials) talking about this scenario.

“What would happen is the champion would be protected,” Big 12 associate commissioner Tim Allen said. “All along we believed the (conference champion) should be the first team in.”

In this case, K-State or Missouri would replace Texas in the BCS.

actually.. somebody mentioned it'd be possible for OU and Texas to get BCS bids but for K-State not to get a bid if K-State wins the Big 12

a couple pages ago, I said something along the lines of how I could see, given the bowl system's history of screwing over KSU on bowls, how the BCS would horribly gyp KSU out of a BCS bowl game even if they were to win the Big XII