TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Huge Smackdown Spoilers

It didn't come across very clearly in the Spoilers that I've read, but after watching the show, it is very clear..

In two weeks, on Smackdown, there will be a 1 Hour Ironman Match between Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar for the WWE Title.

Discuss and stuff..

Edited by MarvinisaLunatic

I'm surprised they aren't saving this for No Mercy. Of course, I'd rather have Angle / Benoit with that stipulation added.

Anyway, as long as no interference comes into Angle / Lesnar III, I'll be happy, but I know that's not going to happen.

*looks forward to the 3rd (televised) Iron Man Match in WWE History

I'm surprised they aren't saving this for No Mercy. Of course, I'd rather have Angle / Benoit with that stipulation added.

Anyway, as long as no interference comes into Angle / Lesnar III, I'll be happy, but I know that's not going to happen.

*looks forward to the 3rd (televised) Iron Man Match in WWE History

I guess I really don't need the spoiler tags..

And Vince claimed it to be the first ever, but I guess it is the first ever 1 Hour Iron man match on Smackdown..

Coincidently, this will be the HHH Bachelor party Smackdown as well..

I can't wait to see how much the match gets butchered from commercial breaks.

*opts to rather pay to see it commercial free

I can't wait to see how much the match gets butchered from commercial breaks.

*opts to rather pay to see it commercial free

Its probably going to have 5 commercial breaks, meaning out of the hour you'll see about 42-45 minutes. They could easily eliminate the majority of the rest holds that are sure to happen with the commerical breaks, so its not that big of a deal (probably will suck insanely for the live crowd).

Im basing this on the fact that the first hour usually has 5 commercial breaks and the 2nd has 4 breaks for a total of 9 breaks and 10 segments.

Guest Deviant

Well that's... weird. Thanks for not putting any other spoilers in this topic. Can't they just continue to build to this on PPV? There is no reason to give away such a match for free just because Unforgiven is Raw-only.

And yes, I'd prefer if it was Angle/Benoit and not butchered by commercial breaks, but it will be great to see these two go an hour.

Guest Coffey

Wow.

*waits to record*

I definitely didn't think that it was real when I read the spoilers that came from someone at Gamefaqs.

I can only imagine how many commercial breaks will be in that bitch...

Me thinks Lesnar might become the WWE Champion again...

Fuck it, I'll call it right now, Lesnar's gonna win!

I think thats a pretty good call actually Rico, think of Austin/Angle.

But seriously, I don't want to see Taker/Lesner for the title, Id rather see Angle/Cena or someone else good.

Guest Coffey

I still think that John Cena is overrated. He is not a main event player. I think lobbying for him to be in the main event is still premature.

That being said, I think it's time to bring up Chris Benoit & Eddie Guerrero. There are enough midcarders to wrestle for the U.S. title without those two. Also, I think it's fairly obvious that both men have more than paid their dues.

If Brock Lesnar wins the Ironman match, I expect to see a Brock Lesnar/Chris Benoit feud. Perhaps with Kurt Angle chasing all the way up to Wrestlemania XX where he wins the gold back.

If Kurt Angle retains, I don't know what to think. Guerrero still has to lose the U.S. title before he can do anything.

I think Cena's going be the one who takes the US title from Guerrero if they book the match at No Mercy if they don't give the title to Benoit (although I'd like to see Chris with some gold again, but would rather gave him not win it so he can be in world title chase scene again.)

If Brock wins, I want to see Benoit / Lesnar

If Kurt wins, I want to see Angle / Guerrero

Guest Coffey

That's where Cena should be at too. The U.S. title division.

If Angle retains, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Undertaker turn heel.

Here's hoping they cram most of the commercial breaks in the other hour of Smackdown.

It's odd they wouldn't save it for No Mercy or something, but i'm hardly going to complain about getting it for free.

It makes no damn sense for Lesnar to win it back already, hence that is what WWE will do. It's pretty stupid to have Brock Lesnar as champ for 5-6 months, lose the title for a month, and then regain it for another huge reign. That smacks of HHHism, and it's stupid.

It also makes no sense that he's back in No.1 contender spot so soon, he didn't even do anything to earn it.

Guest Trivia247

hmm a hour long Iron Man Match

well screw any other matches the hour time before the Ironman will be devoted to all the Mcmahon backstage segments and promos

Guest Ray

I predict this match will suck.

Reason #1. Lesnar lacks experience.

Reason #2. Angle has gotten lost after 15 minutes. Imagine all the no-selling that will take place. ;)

The real question here is this:

How long will it take for the Angle fans to call this greatest match ever?

10 minutes? Less?

Discuss...

The real question here is this:

How long will it take for the Angle fans to call this greatest match ever?

10 minutes? Less?

Discuss...

I call dibs on 7 minutes after shows end.

I don't seriously believe Angle and Lesnar can successfully compete against each other for one hour free of run-ins.

BTW what's up with the Angle vs. Lesnar matchup? Weren't they (WWE) wanting a true one on one match to be saved for Wrestlemania XX?

I didn't really like their last match together, and i have my doubts that they'll be able to carry this thing for an hour.

I expect about 30 minutes of rest holds disguised as mat wrestling, followed by 20 minutes of big moves and little long-term selling with one or two falls, followed by 10 minutes of clusterfuck action, with run-ins and ref bumps galore. I also predict either Vince McMahon or the Undertaker is directly involved in the finish.

Much as I mark out for Angle, and will continue to insist that the RR match with Benoit was 5* quality, I just think one hour is too long a match for him, especially when he'll have to be doing the majority of the carrying with Lesnar. Still, I'd rather have a mediocre match take up half of Smackdown than more McMahon-a-go-go. And at least it will be interesting to see how Kurt and Brock manage, they might pul something really good out of the bag.

Guest BionicRedneck

I laughed my ass off when I read that. Neither have the stamina or the skills to have a good iron man match.

This is just all too rushed. I have little doubt that Lesnar, with the improvement he's shown since his debut will have the ability to do this in a couple of years, but not now, and not so early in the feud.

Guest I Fear Hogans Air Guitair
I laughed my ass off when I read that. Neither have the stamina or the skills to have a good iron man match.

I think Angle does but I know Lesnar Doesn't They really should have made the match 30 Minuets.

Guest nikowwf

Did they say ONE HOUR ironman match? ive' seen the WWE do 30 minute ironman matches.

niko

Guest Deviant

A 30-minute Iron Man would make much more sense. I don't doubt that either man could go an hour, but being on TV for free and fucked with commercials, I would much rather a 30-minute match.

But, if it is an hour, I'd like to see intro, pyro, then have Michael Cole and Tazz say "Welcome to SD" and "Iron Man match... tonight!" in between cramming every commercial break into one hour. It'd be worth it.

Here's hoping they cram most of the commercial breaks in the other hour of Smackdown.

Except that this will be the 1.5 hour Smackdown, not a full 2-hour show.

As for the match, it's way too soon for a match of this magnitude. And why give it away for free on TV?

Match *should* be good, but I'm certainly not expecting a ***** masterpiece for reasons already stated (Lesnar's inexperience, Angle's shortcomings).

Except that this will be the 1.5 hour Smackdown, not a full 2-hour show.

Isn't next week (9/11) the 90-minute special?

Match *should* be good, but I'm certainly not expecting a ***** masterpiece for reasons already stated (Lesnar's inexperience, Angle's shortcomings).

I have a feeling that this match will never be given a fair shake rating-wise, due to the commercial breaks and restholds only seen by the live audience.

Guest Mulatto Heat
BTW what's up with the Angle vs. Lesnar matchup? Weren't they (WWE) wanting a true one on one match to be saved for Wrestlemania XX?

Nononono.. outspoken members of this board like Sault or Choken wanted to save the matchup for Mania XX. There was no indication that WWE felt the same way.

I think Angle does but I know Lesnar Doesn't They really should have made the match 30 Minuets.

You'd think so but I read this from Rajah yesterday, copied from the WON:

To follow up on Kurt Angle’s physical status, he is not physically feeling the way he did before WrestleMania as he is battling multiple injuries but will not take any time off because he feels he has taken too much time off this year already. He tore part of his hamstring off the bone while in Japan last month and needs surgery to fix it. What he is doing now is training the other part of his hamstring so that it can be stronger and take the place of the torn one. In addition his left shoulder has been dislocated. All due to the injuries, his stamina is not up to pace as it use to be.

I'm surprised this wasn't posted here since we have posters that get the WON, and I recall what happened last March when there was just rumors of Angle's bad neck needing surgery. And how do you "know" Lesnar doesn't have the stamina? Has he been obviously gassed during a recent match that I may have missed?

As for the upcoming Iron Man match, this will be a true test of Angle and Lesnar's drawing power. I'm not a huge fan of the matchup itself. Neither Bret/HBK or Rock/HHH were ***** so I doubt we'll see it here.

Still, I'd rather have a mediocre match take up half of Smackdown than more McMahon-a-go-go.

What, you think Vince is just going to sit in the back when the match goes on twiddling his thumbs?

I expect about 30 minutes of rest holds disguised as mat wrestling, followed by 20 minutes of big moves and little long-term selling with one or two falls, followed by 10 minutes of clusterfuck action, with run-ins and ref bumps galore.

Cut off that last part and you have what annoyed me about the Mania match and Keith et al getting all moist because there was 'mat wrestling in a Mania main event'. And? You had Kurt working on all these different body parts and none of it meaning anything.

Edited by Mulatto Heat

I'm beginning to think they'll go the 30 minute route on this one, especially considering this is a 90-minute episode of SD!. I don't think the brass at WW_ have much faith in the American viewing public to watch one hour of the same match on free TV, especially during prime time.