TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Did Simon Cowell

While I was looking around the All Music Guide, i found an entry for Wrestlemania: The Album, the old collection of WWF-related songs from 1993, and in the credits section of the entry it listed American Idol's Simon Cowell as a producer and executive producer. Here's the link if you don't believe it:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aiku36j5771e0

Now sometimes the AMG is wrong, and I would think that if this was true that it would have come out already. But if it is true, I'm shocked that the man who tells so many people that they are horrible singers took part in an album featuring songs by Jim Duggan and the Big Boss Man.

Guest Ecto Cooler

*looks at liner notes*

Executive Producers: Simon Cowell and Julian Wall

There ya go.

Guest Ecto Cooler

also, here's an excerpt from an interview he did with The Mirror:

Luckily, I had an approach from BMG, saying it wanted to set me up with my own label. Soon afterwards, I had an idea which would revolutionise sales. I read an article saying the World Wrestling Federation had sold out Wembley in 27 minutes.

So I did a deal to produce an album with the WWF. Once again, I asked Pete to produce it and the album went Top 10 all over Europe.

It was then I realised the impact of TV on sales. Children's TV record spin-offs followed - Zig and Zag, Power Rangers. I offered the BBC £500,000 for the Teletubbies single and I'd never even seen the show.

People used to laugh and say: "You're selling records with wrestlers?" And I thought: "Yes, for the moment."

Besides the Spice Girls, Simon really hasn't done much. Simon's produced albums for two hit wonder boy bands (Westlife and 5ive) and he discovered the god-awful Jimmy Ray. On the topic of Wrestlemania: The Album, do you think Bret Hart would make the cut on American Idol?

Guest Eagan469
On the topic of Wrestlemania: The Album, do you think Bret Hart would make the cut on American Idol?

Te song he sang on there, "Never Been A Right Time To Say Goodbye" was originally written for David Hasselhoff.

Scary.

Put Cowell and Woody Paige on raw...

Let's seriously write to Woody Paige asking if he's ever considered applying for an announcing job, and if not, that he should. Come on, all y'all gots to love Woody and the blackboard (which is white)

Guest DVD Spree
Besides the Spice Girls, Simon really hasn't done much. Simon's produced albums for two hit wonder boy bands (Westlife and 5ive) and he discovered the god-awful Jimmy Ray.

Well, I don't think you could really call Westlife two hit wonders, seeing as they've had seven number ones and a shitload of platinum albums, and that's where the money's coming from.

And to say he hasn't done much outside of those two isn't fair either - in the quote above he even references WrestleMania, Zig & Zag, Power Rangers and Teletubbies, all of which sold shitloads of copies and made more money than we'll ever see in our lifetime.

Besides all that, Cowell's a sly fucker who does shit like play the triangle in the background of songs so he can collect royalties off them. Do not underestimate the man...

From allmusic.com:

1. Wrestlemania performed by WWF Superstars - 3:35

2. Summerslam Jam performed by WWF Superstars - 3:16

3. U.S.A. performed by Duggan, Hacksaw Jim - 3:13

4. Nasty Boys Stomp performed by Nasty Boys - 3:36

5. Never Been a Right Time to Say Goodbye performed by Hart, Bret Hitman - 3:40

6. The Man in Black performed by Undertaker - 3:33

7. Speaking from the Heart performed by Savage, "Macho Man" Randy - 3:25

8. Tatanka Native American performed by Tatanka - 3:39

9. I'm Perfect performed by Mr Perfect - 3:44

10. Hard Times performed by Big Boss Man - 3:31

Hey now, I like Five and the Jimmy Ray song...

Isn't 5ive a foursome (4our?) now?

5ive had some catchy tunes. Westlife I remember mostly from their covers (More Than Words and Against All Odds) but they were more like a younger Boyzone weren't they?

And wasn't it the other Simon from American/Pop Idol that produced the Spice Girls?

Hey now, I like Five and the Jimmy Ray song...

Isn't 5ive a foursome (4our?) now?

5ive had some catchy tunes. Westlife I remember mostly from their covers (More Than Words and Against All Odds) but they were more like a younger Boyzone weren't they?

And wasn't it the other Simon from American/Pop Idol that produced the Spice Girls?

Not sure if 5ive is a foursome now, but "When The Lights Go Out" was practically an anthem at the local bowling alley since the video was (surprise) them and their girls in a bowling alley. I've got the first CD, and I had downloaded a few off the second effort.

Only Westlife song I remember was "Swear It Again". The other ones ring a bell, but I can't actually remember them for the life of me.

A guy called Simon Fuller was Spice Girl's manager, don't know if you're thinking of him.

I wish I didn't know that...