TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jimmy no nose

Keeping the nwo momentum going

Guest jimmy no nose

This is a guide written by a co-worker of mine, Rennie, on how to keep the NWO strong.  I thought you might like to see it.

The nWo is not a promotion, it's a group of renegade wrestlers: OK, so the word renegade may be a bit much for the 50-year-old Hogan, but he, along with the Outsiders, need to be perceived as a pack of guys who want to tear down the WWF the same way they did WCW -- even though the latter wasn't intentional -- or was it? Anyway, the nWo cannot be cluttered with no-name stars that are only added because "they need to do something with them. There are certainly enough of those guys floating around. nWo members need to have some sort of association with the group (ie. Shawn Michaels, X-Pac, Big Show -- a former member, etc.) If the WWF insists on having other superstars involved, then ...

The nWo members need to be treated equally with Hall, Nash and Hogan: The original nWo got so big that it resembled a traveling circus. Scott Norton, Vincent, Chono, Muta -- it seemed that everyone was wearing a black-and-white shirt. That's fine, because, as they say, there are strength in numbers. But the problem occured when WCW would proclaim that Norton or Vincent were nWo members, when they were never featured prominently in the group or interacted with other, more important members. If Booker T or Chris Benoit join the WWF's version of the nWo, then they cannot be overlooked by their own teammates. They must be involved in backstage vignettes and speak with Hogan, Hall or Nash. Just placing Booker or Benoit in the group so the nWo faction can "have good matches" will quickly remind fans of why they stopped caring about the nWo years ago.

nWo has to be treated as unwelcomed 'outsiders': That means no interviews by Michael Cole or that idiot Jonathan Coachman. The nWo makes its own interview time. They come and go as they please. They attack everyone: Their attitude is either with them or against them -- a concept that made the nWo successful to begin with. If that means interrupting matches or attacking wrestlers before their bouts begin, then so be it. That also means no WWF vs. nWo softball games -- save that hokey stuff for Good Morning America.

nWo has to get the better of the WWF: Unlike the Alliance, which rarely seemed like a legitimate threat to Vince's empire, the nWo has to seem like a real problem and even more credible opponent for the WWF. When the Alliance did win, it was downplayed. A perfect example of this was the "Raw" after the Invasion PPV. The Alliance won; they were the better company. But the following night on "Raw," nothing changed. No new show, no big announcement and no reason to care. Also, Hall, Nash and Hogan have to be take seriously by The Rock, Austin and Triple H. The Rock can't joke about Hall, saying things like giraffe testicles or singing Barry Manilow songs. The end of the WWF is serious, and The Rock's character needs to echo that sentiment.

No Austin, Kurt Angle in the nWo: Again, if the WWF has learned anything from past mistakes, it will not shift stars from one faction to another. Austin joined the Alliance because he didn't get any respect from the company that made him a star. That doesn't make too much sense. And speaking of nonsensical, Angle's move to the Alliance made as much sense as Vince McMahon hanging out with Alliance wrestlers after the Survivor Series. The WWF shouldn't have the same problem with the nWo, because Hall, Nash and Hogan have enough star-power to carry the group.

Final analysis

On one hand, the nWo represents a wrestling angle that changed the way some view the business. On the other hand, the nWo could conceivably solidify the fact that Vince McMahon is playing his last trump card, and Hall, Nash and Hogan are taking advantage of the situation. During the last few years of WCW, critics bashed the company because it didn't build any new stars and simply relied on past stars and ideas to reinvigorate interest in the product.

A hardcore wrestling cynic could say the WWF is guilty of the same thing that plagued WCW: Past stars living in the past and coming across as timesome reruns.

But unlike its predecessor, WCW, the WWF needs to use the name-value of Hall, Nash, Hogan and the nWo concept itself and build from there, which may include references to that dreaded thing called the past.

All three superstars have been in the WWF. All three superstars have a tremendous amount of character backstory that needs to be drawn upon in order for a successful, long-term angle.

I can forget that these guys are old and they don't have great matches. I can even forget that the nWo gimmick has been used over and over and over again.

But the only way for that to happen is if the WWF offers competent, compelling storylines surrounding the nWo and moves forward with the characters of Hall, Nash and Hogan.

Otherwise, the latest incarnation of the nWo will be just like the Alliance -- forgettable.

Guest Tony149

That was pretty and made some good points. If there's one thing the nWo should never see again is the 42 man B-team. I agree with mostly everything that was written.

Guest Big Poppa Popick

good post, i hope the wwf internet crew was reading...

I would say that the nwo even refuses to be in matches, or takes out their opponents pre match so they can just talk in the ring, they care about nothing more than making the show suck

and i guess thats why theyll be hated

and also, please vince, keep them small

I think 5 is a good number, spooky fingers n all

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

The WWF likes to have factions dominate the title picture because they think it makes for good tv.  the Alliance held the WWF title all but 2 weeks of their existence.  I fear a long Hogan run.

Guest Tony149

Yesterday I found a tape in my room that had a bunch of random matches and promos from Nitro '96-'99. I gotta tell you, I don't think I would have a problem with Hogan getting a WWF Title run for a good 6 months to maybe a year. Hogan still has money matches left in him with HHH, The Rock, SCSA & Vince McMahon himself. If booked right, Hogan could have a good run, then have a HUGE blow off match at this years Survivor Series or WM 19 with SCSA or The Rock.

Guest Army Eye
Also, Hall, Nash and Hogan have to be take seriously by The Rock, Austin and Triple H. The Rock can't joke about Hall, saying things like giraffe testicles or singing Barry Manilow songs. The end of the WWF is serious, and The Rock's character needs to echo that sentiment.

Very true.  When Rock saw Booker T come out and said 'who in the blue hell are you' and proceeded to treat him like a jobber for a month, it should've been clear right then and there that McMahon's ego would never allow the Alliance to succeed.

That means no interviews by Michael Cole or that idiot Jonathan Coachman. The nWo makes its own interview time. They come and go as they please. They attack everyone: Their attitude is either with them or against them -- a concept that made the nWo successful to begin with. If that means interrupting matches or attacking wrestlers before their bouts begin, then so be it. That also means no WWF vs. nWo softball games -- save that hokey stuff for Good Morning America.

Agreed again.  The WCW really got a lot of little things like this just right.  Like Mean Gene refusing to interview them, and the NWO guys not getting their name emblazoned on the screen during their entrance (they only stuck to this one early on , but to my recollection Hogan NEVER got the name treatment)

This was a good piece; lots of good points.