TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
justsoyouknow

Kazaa crashed my computer.

A while back, I had issues connecting to the internet. Every time I would try to connect, I would receive a message saying, "Could not connect to remote host". I sat there for a few hours and fiddled with everything, but nothing worked to remedy the problem. I checked the connection, and it showed that I was connected. However, when I went into Command and did ipconfig /renew, I would get an error saying that an error had occured because an operation had been attempted on something that wasn't a socket. I disabled the firewall and tried again, but still nothing. I went into BIOS and switched off my onboard LAN, installed a PCI Ethernet card, then tried to use that, but I received the same error.

Finally, I had to completely format my C: drive, then reinstall Windows 98, then Windows XP. I tried simply reloading XP, but the same error occured. Everything worked after that, but when I went to install Kazaa again, the day that I installed it, the same exact thing happened. I used the System Restore feature and rolled back to the day before I installed Kazaa, and everything worked yet again. Since then, every type of downloading software that I've tried has refused to work. I downloaded Kazaa Lite, but after I set it up, in the Traffic window, all songs would stick on "Qued". I tried Morpheus, but it kept disconnecting on me. I attempted to install an older version of Kazaa Lite, but it insisted that I update, which didn't help at all.

Does anybody know what the crap is going on with file-sharing programs? Why don't any of them work? Any alternatives out there?

I don't know about the technical computer stuff, but Morpheus and Kazaa are evil, evil programs. Uninstall both and delete from your computer.

In conjunction, use Ad-Aware or Spybot: Search & Destroy to remove anything left behind by Morpheus and Kazaa. I've tried both and prefer Spybot, but Ad-Aware works well also.

As for file-sharing programs, I'm quite content with WinMX, Kazaa Lite (be sure to have the latest version, which prevents the RIAA from mucking around) and Soulseek for rarer stuff, though Soulseek is going through site and server problems right now, I believe.

Edited by KingOfOldSchool