were added by Peter Jackson, including 200 new digital effects and new score by

Howard Shore:

Anamorphic widescreen 16x9 (2.35:1) version of the film

Dolby Digital EX Surround Sound

DTS ES 6.1

Stereo Surround

Four audio commentaries:

Audio Commentary 1: The Director and Writers

Peter Jackson (Director/Co-Writer/Producer)

Fran Walsh (Writer/Co-Producer)

Philippa Boyens (Co-Write)

Audio Commentary 2: The Design Team

Richard Taylor (WETA Workshop Creative Supervisor)

Tania Rodger (WETA Workshop Manager)

Grant Major (Production Designer)

Ngila Dickson (Costume Designer)

Alan Lee (Conceptual Designer)

John Howe (Conceptual Designer)

Dan Hennah (Supervising Art Director/Set Decorator)

Chris Hennah (Art Department Manager)

Audio Commentary 3: The Production/Post-Production Team

Barrie Osborne (Producer)

Mark Ordesky (Executive Producer)

Andrew Lesnie (Director of Photography)

Mike Horton and Jabez Olssen (Editors)

Rick Porras (Co-Producer)

Howard Shore (Composer)

Jim Rygiel (Visual Effects Supervisor)

Joe Letteri (WETA Digital Effects Supervisor)

Ethan Van der Ryn (Supervising Sound Editor/Co-Designer)

Mike Hopkins (Supervising Sound Editor)

Randy Cook (WETA Animation Designer & Supervisor)

Christian Rivers (WETA VFX Art Director)

Brian Van't Hull (WETA VFX Cinematographer)

Alex Funke (Miniatures Director of Photography)

Audio Commentary 4: The Cast

Elijah Wood (Frodo)

Liv Tyler (Arwen)

Sean Astin (Sam)

John Rhys-Davies (Gimli)

Billy Boyd (Pippin)

Dominic Monaghan (Merry)

Orlando Bloom (Legolas)

Christopher Lee (Saruman)

Sean Bean (Boromir)

Bernard Hill (Théoden)

Miranda Otto (Éowyn)

David Wenham (Faramir)

Brad Dourif (Grima)

Karl Urban (Éomer)

John Noble (Denethor)

DISCS 3-4 : The Appendices

Two discs of all-new bonus content, including multiple documentaries, galleries

and interactive maps. Documentaries that were started with The Lord of the Rings:

The Fellowship of the Ring Special Extended DVD Edition are continued here,

delving deep into the stories and experiences unique to The Two Towers.

DISCS 3 - The Appendices Part III: "The Journey Continues..."

J.R.R. Tolkien - Origins of Middle-earth (Video Documentary)

From Book to Script - Finding the Story (Video Documentary)

Designing and Building Middle-earth

Designing Middle-earth (Viedo Documentary)

Weta Workshop (Video Documentary)

Design Galleries

The Peoples of Middle-earth

The Realms of Middle-earth

Gollum

The Taming of Smeagol (Video Documentary)

Andy Serkis Animation Reference (Video Documentary)

Gollum "Stand-in" (Video Documentary)

Design Gallery

Middle-earth Atlas (Tracing the journeys of the Fellowship) (Interactive map)

New Zealand as Middle-earth (Interactive map)

DISC 4 - The Appendices Part IV: "The battle for Middle-earth begin..."

Filming "The Two Towers"

Warriors of Middle-earth (Video Documentary)

Cameras in Middle-earth (Video Documentary)

Production Photos

Visual Effects

Miniatures

"Big-atures" (Video Documentary)

Galleries

The Flooding of Isengard Animatic

Weta Digital (Video Documentary)

Abandoned Concepts

Editorial: Refining the Story (Video Documentary)

Music and Sound

Music for Middle-earth (Video Documentary)

The Soundscapes of Middle-earth (Video Documentary)

Sound Demonstration: "Helm's Deep"

"The Battle for Helm's Deep is over ..." (Video Documentary)

Credit: lordoftherings.net

*Marks the fuck out*

This shit is going to OWN. A few comments, though.........

- John Noble is on the commentary? WTF? The dude is in one scene in the movie.

- Sean Bean is on commentary? Fuck yes!~ Boromir is BACK! I know, kinda hypocritical but I think S.B is a vastly underrated actor.

- Karl Urban on commentary~! David Wenham on commentary~!

- No Ian McKellan = Bad.

- Liv Tyler talking = Bad.

Over 40 minutes of new and extended scenes were added by Peter Jackson

YES! YES! YES! Alright, another almost 4 hour movie to watch!

When's this coming out anyway? November I'm guessing?

Whatever to her tits. I hate the fact that she's in the movie when her character is nowhere to be found in the fucking book!

I believe its in one of the appendixes.

They talk about Arwen all the time in the book. She is Aragorn's motivation to do a lot of what he does. Easier to show that in the movie than just talk about it.

I find this kind of funny actually. It's like people had to really dig for something to dislike in the movie, so they hit on the romantic subplot and went after poor Liv.

I find this kind of funny actually. It's like people had to really dig for something to dislike in the movie, so they hit on the romantic subplot and went after poor Liv.

I, for one, don't mind Liv's character in the movie, but the circle-jerk all the guys did on the FOTR commentary regarding her made me want to gag...

Well the DVD set sounds great and I will no doubt get it either when it comes out or for Christmas.

I think people rag on Liv because the whole romance subplot is very underdeveloped and comes off like they just tossed a chick into the story for the sake of having a female character. Eowyn comes off better because she actually has something to do.

Also, Liv gets flack for getting an insane 3RD BILLING (over Viggo Mortensen for god's sake and he's the main warrior hero) for doing next to nothing.

Also, Liv gets flack for getting an insane 3RD BILLING (over Viggo Mortensen for god's sake and he's the main warrior hero) for doing next to nothing.

This is the main problem.

I doubt that many people really care that she booted Glorfindel out of the movie. It is better this way anyways. The Arwen/Aragorn plot was the biggest problem with the novel. You never really saw enough of Arwen to care about her. Most people I know wanted Aragorn to ditch Arwen for Eowyn. Those that have just seen the films don't feel that way.

Heh, funny you say that because I wanted Aragorn to ditch Arwen for Eowyn after seeing Two Towers.

LOTR has managed to be awesome after 2 movies despite some difficult problems to overcome:

1. Mediocre romance plot (the Arwen stuff).

2. A main heel who isn't even around (Sauron). Though I dunno, maybe he'll be in the ROTK.

I'm actually a bit worried about ROTK, since Christopher Lee has been THE heel in the first two movies. He's had to carry the whole heel side of things. Every other villain is just a mindless orc of some sort waiting to be killed. Sauron hasn't done jack shit and frankly doesn't impress me. I have heard Sauron technically doesn't appear in the book ROTK, but just seeing a big flaming eye won't get it done over 3 movies in my book.

This may be a dumb question, but I honestly can't tell just from reading the listing there...

Will there be any segments that show Andy Serkis as Gollum? I mean, I know he was in some kinda crazy suit or something so he could be essentially "colored over" later, but I'm still curious to see exactly what he himself did, since it was claimed that all they did with the character Gollum was draw him right over Serkis.

I think it'd be interesting to watch.

Heh, funny you say that because I wanted Aragorn to ditch Arwen for Eowyn after seeing Two Towers.

LOTR has managed to be awesome after 2 movies despite some difficult problems to overcome:

1. Mediocre romance plot (the Arwen stuff).

2. A main heel who isn't even around (Sauron). Though I dunno, maybe he'll be in the ROTK.

I'm actually a bit worried about ROTK, since Christopher Lee has been THE heel in the first two movies. He's had to carry the whole heel side of things. Every other villain is just a mindless orc of some sort waiting to be killed. Sauron hasn't done jack shit and frankly doesn't impress me. I have heard Sauron technically doesn't appear in the book ROTK, but just seeing a big flaming eye won't get it done over 3 movies in my book.

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

Sauron doesn't appear in ROTK, at least the book. Saruman sticks around until the end, but since the Scouring of the Shire is cut out of the movie, Saruman will be kicking the bucket about 10 minutes in.

Yeah I realize that Sauron wasn't actually shown in the book ROTK. But here's the thing, in the book it sounds as though Saruman ends up being the main heel. After all, he dies in the Shire at the end, after the ring is destroyed and all.

But since Saruman gets killed near the beginning of ROTK, don't you think at that point they HAVE to have Sauron show up and do something? How can you go another 3 hours or so with no real main heel? The Witch King and Mouth of Sauron both sound promising, but essentially they are secondary heels. For it to truly work, we almost have to have the man himself.

I have heard a rumor that Sauron does in fact show himself in ROTK and fights Aragorn before the ring is destroyed (and thus him too).

Kahran, what do you think of that whole idea?

But since Saruman gets killed near the beginning of ROTK, don't you think at that point they HAVE to have Sauron show up and do something? How can you go another 3 hours or so with no real main heel? The Witch King and Mouth of Sauron both sound promising, but essentially they are secondary heels. For it to truly work, we almost have to have the man himself.

Don't forget about Shelob & the betrayal of Gollum.

But why should Sauron be a physical presence in the movie? His underlings (Saruman included) have carried the first two films. And the final battle over Middle-earth & Frodo's choice at Mt. Doom should finish the film nicely. Besides, Saruman himself doesn't get very much in the way of screentime either.

Will there be any segments that show Andy Serkis as Gollum? I mean, I know he was in some kinda crazy suit or something so he could be essentially "colored over" later, but I'm still curious to see exactly what he himself did, since it was claimed that all they did with the character Gollum was draw him right over Serkis.

I'm sure there will be, since it's listed in the DVD supplements. There's also a short documentary dedicated to Gollum & the motion-capture process on the standard edition's bonus disc.

Yeah I realize that Sauron wasn't actually shown in the book ROTK. But here's the thing, in the book it sounds as though Saruman ends up being the main heel. After all, he dies in the Shire at the end, after the ring is destroyed and all.

I have heard a rumor that Sauron does in fact show himself in ROTK and fights Aragorn before the ring is destroyed (and thus him too).

Kahran, what do you think of that whole idea?

Sauron needs the ring. It kind of ruins the point of the movie if Sauron is kicking ass without it.

I hope they do not show Sauron actually. It will feel like a cop out to me. His body was destroyed way back when and now he can only manifest himself the way we have seen him, a giant eye wreathed in flames. If he gets the ring back, on the other hand...

Guest Crucifixio Jones

They should include Gollum's acceptance speech from the MTV Awards. That was the funniest shit ever.

First off, I do believe Sauron has an actual human form of some sort in the book. He just doesn't show up to do anything (I'm not 100% on this though). So if he has a human form I think Jackson has to show him at some point, just not necessarily fighting someone.

Could someone post a link to that interview where Jackson said denied the whole Sauron/Aragorn fight idea?

In a way, the real villain is not Sauron, but the ring itself.

INdeed, the One Ring is really the true heel in all of this and I think the way things have been presented thusfar support that. Such as Galadriels speech sequence, and at the end there is a soft dissolve to the ring flipping chaoticly, just show remind and show everyone what this is all about.

Well, the ring itself is an inanimate object and thus can't really gain a lot of heel heat. To be honest I can't see why having the ring is so desirable...Sauron had it and got his ass kicked anyway, Isildur had it and died, Gollum had it for years and you see the shape he's in.

I don't think people fully understand Christopher Lee's importance to the LOTR movies. With major villains such as Sauron (a guy that isn't even in physical form for most of the story), the Ring (inanimate object), and a bunch of orcs (shit monsters, as my dad calls em) there isn't a whole lot of credibility here.

Orcs just get killed by the dozen whenever they run up against our heroes. The Wraiths are afraid of water, fire, and got punked by LIV TYLER. Wormtongue is a snivelling little shit that Gandalf dismissed with little fanfare.

That all leaves it up to Christopher Lee as Saruman. He is literally the only credible heel in the entire series as far as I'm concerned. He's the only villain who seems like a threat.

I'm fairly sure that Saruman is going to die early in the ROTK, so they really will need someone for the audience to hate.

There is Denethor, if you count him.

Saruman is a fairly minor character in the book. Out of the six books that make up LOTR, only one (The Treason of Isengard) really deals with Saruman and he is essentially powerless after that, even though he shows up again at the end to put the Hobbits over some more.

The Lord of the Nazgul is the one who leads Sauron's army at the Siege of Gondor, but the closest you are going to get to what you want is Gollum.

And the Ring is not inanimate, it changes in both size and weight, and speaks. It is not just a ring. It is a part of Sauron himself. It has a mind of its own.

You know, this is a little off topic but I have to say it. Movie boards on a wrestling site are a unique expierience. If I went to say the chud board or the AICN forum and dropped terms like "major heel heat" I'm sure half of the people there would be like, "...the hell?"

I'm not complaining really. I just thought it was an interesting observation.

To try and get back on topic, I'm not sure cabbage understands the movies (or likes them for that matter). The ring is desireable because it, in effect, gives you power. Or, at least, that is what the ring tells you it will do. Poor Frodo, he has been listening to that insidious whispering for months now, and it gets louder and more persuesive the closer he gets to Mordor.

The circumstances surrounding how you gained possession of the Ring can also determine how much it corrupts you. Gollum murdered Deagol to get it, which is why it affected him so greatly. Combine that with the length of time he had it, and Gollum is pretty screwed up.

The only one who gives it up without a struggle (other than Tom who isn't affected at all) is Sam, and even he is a bit reluctant.

Men are even more easily corrupted because of their thirst for power.

This will sound odd, but I do like the LOTR movies. In fact they're probably the best movies of the new millenium thus far. I'm at a fever pitch waiting for ROTK.

That said, if I don't understand certain elements in the films, it's because some of it is almost impossible to express in film. I haven't really understood what the ring is supposed to do for its owner, since everone who has had it seems to have their lives ruined (even Sauron himself). The ring "speaking" to Frodo is also a difficult concept to convey in a film.

Oh, by the way I did end up emailing a guy named Demosthenes at theonering.net and asked about Sauron. He said Sauron wasn't going to fight Aragorn or anything like that, but that most likely Sauron would be present at the final battle at the gates (giving orders, overseeing, etc). Sounds like a good compromise to me....not such a radical idea that Tolkien purists will have a fit, and will give the regular moviegoer a better idea of Sauron.

I agree cabbage. I've read the series about 15 times so I can read a lot more into the nature of the ring as expressed in the films than someone who is just going on the filmed product.

I think the best analogy would be drugs. They make you feel great at first. The need for them just grows and grows as you become addicted. The more you are exposed to them, the worse the additction gets. At some point, it stops being about feeling good and starts to be about just not feeling bad. In the end, you haven't gained anything but your life has been ruined.

As for that idea of Sauron... that I could live with. Besides, it would lend itself to an amazing visual when the ring is destroyed.

That's what I like the most about these movies I think. They take things that I thought would be stupid (the focus on Sauruman, the change in Aragorn's character, the way in which the Hobbits are introduced into the Fellowship) and turn them into something good.

I am stoked for Return of the King...

"Where there's a whip

There's a way...

We don't want to go to war today

But the Lord of the Lash says

nay nay nay...

We're gonna march all day

all day all day...

Where there's a whip there's a way."