TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Decemberists

Russo, the IWC and Jim Cornette

I've been watching Jim Cornettes AWESOME RF shoot recently, but one thing strikes me as being pretty odd. He's slagging off Russo, calling him a peice of shit and that he didn't have a clur about wrestling and how he left the WWF without telling Vince etc.

BUT he talks about how because "the fans on the internet keep sucking up to him and saying how great he is (I'm paraphrasing, but thats the general idea) he thinks he knows how to book."

Being new to the whole IWC thing I wasn't around in 1999, and I'm stuggling to believe that you guys and gals loved Russo as much as Cornette says, if at all.

So what was the deal in 1999 everyone?

Guest ToddRoyal

Basically, in 1999 the ratings for WWF TV were WAY up, and a lot of it was due to Vince Russo's "Crash TV" format. Russo brought a lot of change to the WWF, and the hardcore matches, sexual angles and "anything could happen attitude" were a part of it. This is part of what caused the ratings to rise, but also what Cornette hates. With WCW in a down spot, the Internet was praising WWF, and hence Russo.

The thing is, when Russo was in the WWF, he had Vince McMahon to stop him and throw out the REALLY insane ideas before they made TV. When he went to WCW he had no such "quality control" and the insane, senseless angles he started writing became his trademark. Thats when the 'net REALLY turned on him and he became the hated guy he is now.

Hope that helped

Guest EN090
Basically, in 1999 the ratings for WWF TV were WAY up, and a lot of it was due to Vince Russo's "Crash TV" format. Russo brought a lot of change to the WWF, and the hardcore matches, sexual angles and "anything could happen attitude" were a part of it. This is part of what caused the ratings to rise, but also what Cornette hates. With WCW in a down spot, the Internet was praising WWF, and hence Russo.

I think another part of it was that back in late 96/early 97 Cornette was booking total crap (The Goon, TL Hopper, etc) and Vince McMahon replaced Cornette with Russo. So Cornette was a little bitter. That and because the parts of wrestling he hated (the crash TV aspect) is what caused ratings to skyrocket. So I think that is where the Russo hate stems from.

Guest The Old Me

The thing is, when Russo was in the WWF, he had Vince McMahon to stop him and throw out the REALLY insane ideas before they made TV. When he went to WCW he had no such "quality control" and the insane, senseless angles he started writing became his trademark. Thats when the 'net REALLY turned on him and he became the hated guy he is now.

Hope that helped

That summed it up pretty well.