TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Old Me

So is anyone brave enough??

Guest The Old Me

Okay, I don't know if this is just regional, but I saw an ad and this looks nasty. Now I live near Philly, so we got real cheesesteaks around this bitch.

Eat one (cause I won't) and tell me what I already know.

Guest Choken One

THE domino cheesesteak isn't bad from what I heard...I was told it was just piazza with steak tips instead of pepperoni.

THE domino cheesesteak isn't bad from what I heard...I was told it was just piazza with steak tips instead of pepperoni.

Is that relative to Domino's Pizza or cheesesteaks? Not that it's hard to make something better than the standard Domino's pizza, but still.

I can't believe that McDonald's would actually let their staff make cheesesteaks, so I'm just gonna assume that their "steak" will be the Subway style "open and heat 'em" steak. Which means that it'll be mediocre at best.

Texadelphia makes a decent cheesesteak, but I still need to go to Philly and try an "authentic" to see how it compares...

Guest ToddRoyal

That must be aregional thing, because I haven't seen any sign of it here yet. But we have the McLobster which apparently other areas of the country do not. (As evidenced by the woman in McDonalds last week begging to BUY the McLobster sign to take home to her friends who "wouldn't believe her" otherwise. *sigh* tourists.)

Guest ToddRoyal

I live in Maine. Most notably a tourist area of Maine. (I work in Kittery, which is an outlet mall capital of the North East) so the McLobster is a pretty big tourist trap. I'd say like 3/5ths of the people in line ahead of me were buying one every time I went to McDonalds this summer.

Guest The Old Me

I saw a McCrabcake at the beach this summer, but a fucking LOBSTER? That's just scary.

So, no one has tried the steak yet? Smart cats.

It's got to be a regional thing, but having had the real thing, you probably wouldn't catch me dead with a McDonald's version.

Guest ToddRoyal

McLobster is essentially a lobster roll. (For those who have never had it think Chicken Salad or Tuna, just with Lobster instead). Lobster Salad on a roll. A REAL lobster roll is really good. McLobster? Eh.

Guest El Satanico

McLobster and McCrabcakes? That just sounds disgusting.

I think real crabcakes are disgusting, so hell if I'm going to eat one at McDonalds. I'm not a fan of real lobster and find it highly overrated, but lobster from mcdonalds sounds disgusting.

McLobster is hit or miss, usually miss. It's usually mostly mayonaise and lettuce with tiny bits of lobster in it on a small ass roll. And yes I'm a Mainer, which you should know by the little remembered Maine Street Posse last year.

Guest The Old Me
McLobster and McCrabcakes? That just sounds disgusting.

I think real crabcakes are disgusting, so hell if I'm going to eat one at McDonalds. I'm not a fan of real lobster and find it highly overrated, but lobster from mcdonalds sounds disgusting.

You hit the nail right on the head.

Guest RollingSambos

It's also very small, whereas a real cheesesteak is usually the size of a hoagie (12").

Guest The Old Me
It's also very small, whereas a real cheesesteak is usually the size of a hoagie (12").

Any kind of sauce?

* I shudder to think*

There was an article about this in the Philly Inquirer this week. Looks like McD's cheesesteak is fairly local to the Philly area. There's no way in hell I would try one, however.

From the Philly Inquirer

Cheesesteak devotees may have thought their big moment came in August when Sen. John Kerry's infamous order for Swiss cheese on his steak thrust Philadelphia and its signature sandwich into the national spotlight.

But they were wrong.

The cheesesteak takes center stage this month, as two major fast-food chains debut versions of our city's most famous street food. McDonald's officially launches its Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich next Monday in several hundred of its restaurants from Harrisburg to South Jersey to Delaware.

And on Sept. 2, Domino's introduced its Philly Cheese Steak Pizza - its first new pizza in three years. Unlike McDonald's steak, which is strictly regional for now, the Domino's pizza is available at all 4,862 locations nationwide.

Spokesmen for both chains say the timing of the two releases is coincidental. And I believe it, since it took nearly three years for Chuck McIntyre, who owns nine McDonald's restaurants in Northampton and Bucks Counties, to get the burger giant to give his pet project the green light.

"I plead guilty - you can blame me," says McIntyre, who was inspired to serve steaks at his McDonald's after eating an offensive impostor "Philly cheesesteak" while vacationing in Austria.

Philadelphia homers may consider the mass-marketing of their culinary hallmark the ultimate stamp of approval.

But take it from me. I sampled these delicacies for lunch yesterday, and they were both big McMis-steaks.

No corporate restaurant will ever replicate the artisanal griddle magic that our best steakeries deliver. The real thing may be fast food, but it's made to order with a pride and panache that is hard to capture on an assembly line.

The McDonald's steak sandwich I bought at Broad and Girard was a vile rendition of the icon. The squishy, overly sweet six-inch bun (a mere hors d'oeuvre for most steak-aholics) was filled with meat that was greasy and studded with unchewable gristle. The onions, however, were nicely browned.

At least the steak was obvious. I found only a few shreds of meat on the medium Domino's pizzas I ordered from the takeout at 21st and Hamilton. Hidden amid layers of peppers, onions, mushrooms and oozy American cheese, it had the springy, precooked texture of salted sandwich meat.

This pizza, nonetheless, has the endorsement of Frank Olivieri, owner of South Philadelphia's Pat's King of Steaks, who in Domino's press information calls it "the next-best thing" to one of his steaks.

I'm no fan of the overrated Pat's, but I find this hard to believe. My pizzas didn't even have a splatter of Cheez Whiz.

The danger of mega-marketing these low-grade ambassadors of Philadelphia junk food pride is obvious. First-time steak eaters across the nation will shrug in disbelief over our seemingly rotten taste buds.

In fact, McDonald's has sold an even less genuine Philly cheesesteak sandwich in other parts of the country. It's a solid piece of rib-eye with grilled onions and cheese on a McRib bun.

"We would never offer that in Philadelphia," said McDonald's regional manager Steve Reiff, "because it's not an authentic cheesesteak and we would never say it is."

Such knockoffs are not good for tourism.

McDonald's, at least for now, is limiting the new sandwich to a relatively small audience, so the embarrassment is contained locally. But its inevitable marketing success could have a big impact on business at our region's huge number of independent steak shops, which have always held their own against the chains.

And the sandwich has suffered the ultimate insult of not receiving an official McDonald's Mc-label. It's not a McSteak, a McSixer or even a McWid.

"Well, that would be kind of a trite cliche, don't you think?" McIntyre argues.

No. Yet another impostor passing itself off to the masses as a "Philly cheesesteak" - that's a cliche.