TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

Top earning tours of 2003

Bruce Springsteen looks to still have plenty of drawing power. The Boss has already earned $79 million during his tour and is projected to finish the year with roughly $120 million, more than double his previous best ($61.4 million in 1994). Springsteen has an outside shot at topping the Rolling Stones 1994 record tour which earned $121.2 million.

The Summer Sanitarium Tour, featuring Metallica, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, and Mudvayne, earned $45 million for 18 shows.

Fleetwood Mac is projected to finish the year with roughly $85 million, assuming he finishes his tour. Same for the Eagles who are projected to finish the year at $68.4 million.

Cher is projected to finish the year at $63 million for her seemingly never ending tour.

The Dixie Chicks are expected to bring in $60 million.

Billy Joel and Elton John brought in $52.7 milliom during their tour which ran to May, but do not have any other dates scheduled.

Bon Jovi's tour is projected at $39.3 million, followed by Phish at $38.5 million. The Rolling Stones toured until July and brought in $37.4 million.

Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguilera sold out every show on their Justified and Stripped tour, but only grossed $27 million due to low ticket prices.

Credit: MTV

I thought for sure Aerosmith/Kiss would top some of those.

Guest JericholicEdgeHead

"I thought for sure Aerosmith/Kiss would top some of those"

I bet they did but MTV has a funny way of ignoring hard rock music.

I find it funny that the only concerts that seem to make money are older acts from the 70's and 80's, and a lot of them don't get the MTV hype that some of the newer bands get.

In 5-10 years when most of the 70's and 80's bands can't tour anymore, the concert buisness is going to be pathetic. Just for the fact that most of today's bands/artists are 1 trick ponys, and have no staying power also not too many rap groups that MTV loves so much will even tour.

Heck I bet even Poison has more drawing power than some of today's so called "hip" bands.

Edited by JericholicEdgeHead

Guest Choken One

Once Aero, Bruce, Kiss, Stones get shuffled out of the rotation it's there for the NEW generation of nostalgia like Pearl Jam, Poison and the such.

Guest Doyo
Fleetwood Mac is projected to finish the year with roughly $85 million, assuming he finishes his tour.

Uh, Fleetwood Mac is a band, not a "he."

Both Poison and Pearl Jam have been selling out 10,000- 20,000 seat arenas. Bon Jovi sells out

50,000 seat stadiums. Today's bands like The Strokes and White Stripes get all hyped up by

the media, yet they can only mostly play at places that hold 1,000 - 4,000 people. There were

tons and tons of bands that came out during 1960s to early 1990s that could tour big arenas and stadiums.

There have only been a small handful of bands from the last ten years that can headline arenas,

and I don't think there are any that can headline stadiums. If people are downloading as much

music as the record companies want us to believe, then newer bands should be able to draw big

crowds. But they can't and that is because the major labels sign too many crappy bands.

Guest Choken One

The Boy Bands had no problems selling out the Football stadiums...but they are dead so Nothing save for big festival/ multi band shows (like Sanitarium) can get the stadium shows...

Guest mesepher

and kids these days aren't into concerts as much as kids of former years, and the quality of mainstream music has really died. In the 70s, bands like Floyd, Rush, and Yes were all to top draws... now look at what's hot... Good Charlotte, Staind, Blink 182. The talent isn't there...

Kids are still into concerts, so that idea is null and void. It's just the kids are looking towards the local concerts of artists you won't find on MTV, and barely on the radio (probably only request-only shows, or college radio).

Guest mesepher
Kids are still into concerts, so that idea is null and void. It's just the kids are looking towards the local concerts of artists you won't find on MTV, and barely on the radio (probably only request-only shows, or college radio).

funny, I don't know too many kids who are into concerts... especially since most of them don't like live music at all. Maybe things are different were you are from.

Guest Choken One

Coreylaz comes from a location where concerts are still huge thanks to a large underground breed of bad seed...

Here in Cincy? Jimmy Buffet is king. Cincy perfers Older music like Aerosmith or Country...so aside from small club shows at Bogarts...We don't get much...sometimes we'll get a 3DD concert but that's about it for "HARD ROCK"

Guest stardust

I also happen to be from an area where live music is still popular (Dallas/Forth Worth), although most of it is more of the local band variety (we just happen to have some kick ass local bands). And the few concerts I have gone to that have been bigger name artists have had pretty good attendance.

Unfortunately for Arizona, most of the local bands around here are of the screamo/emo variety...case in point: Arizona is responsible for Jimmy Eat World, Authority Zero, Chester from Linkin Park is from AZ, and I'm pretty sure that the lead singer of the Ataris is from AZ.

I'm really sorry, guys. I feel horrible.

How much did Warped Tour gross this year, though? Or Lollapalooza? Most kids that I know went to both of those.

Guest El Satanico

And why would MTV mention the Rolling Stones, but not Aerosmith?

And since when were KISS and Aerosmith considered hard rock?

Guest Choken One

And why would MTV mention the Rolling Stones, but not Aerosmith?

And since when were KISS and Aerosmith considered hard rock?

Aerosmith always been hard rock maybe not but our modern def. where we asst. bands like Disturbed or Metallica as HARD ROCK...but were classified as such at some points.

Guest Derek Bailey
Let's see...bands from Sheffield, England.

Pulp

better not mention the rest. But The Atoms of Punishment are coming. Oh yes we are.

No love for Def Leppard or Human League?

see, the benefit of living near the Canadian/American border is quite good. Around here there are lots of local places that plays some pretty kickin hard rock stuff, and small festivals bring out some of the well known Canadian Bands. Many people would travel to Darrian Lake, Copps Colisieum, or go to Toronto to catch a show.

Around here we've spawned Finger Eleven, and Alexisonfire.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
The hair/glam band revival will be #1 very soon, watch out for tours headlined by RATT, Dokken, Quiet Riot.

I hope you're kidding.

These bands still tour, albeit in bars with two original members. No hair band will EVER be big again. Look at Motley Crue's recent stuff, or Def Leppard's. It's ALL crap, because they don't have the shield of spandex and decadence anymore. They're washed up balding old coots that play outdated music and refuse to accept it.

Are you saying that Kiss/Aerosmith should have been listed as one of the big money makers, but was purposely left off the list by MTV? What would they gain from doing that???

And it's not like the list is made up of MTV-darlings ... I mean, Phish? Elton John & Billy Joel? Fleetwood Mac?

Hmm...concerts aren't dead. We just now seem to be getting a lot of concerts in OKC...since the city finally decided...."man this place sucks nobody ever shows up downtown for anything...maybe it's because the Myriad is a shitty building...let's build a big arena!" and once they built the arena and changed the look of downtown people actually started coming. More wrestling and more concerts! Geez...I swear this state is run by idiots.

Anyways plenty of good concerts come through here. I usually go to the local shows though. Or the punk rock shows at clubs. I just saw Dropkick Murphy's in Tulsa last week! Kick ass show and I had more fun there than in a big arena seeing Disturbed.

Disturbed sells out everything in New England...

I think i'm pretty lucky to have grown up here since TONS of great bands have come from this area due to the extremely high interest in music here.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
...so aside from small club shows at Bogarts...We don't get much...sometimes we'll get a 3DD concert but that's about it for "HARD ROCK"

Bogarts is fucking sweet. They have killer bands all the time. I got lost with a buddy of mine trying to get there, and we ended up in this godforsaken neighborhood called Over the Rhine, or some shit. We turned around.