TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silence

Are there any good metal bands anymore?

Silly metal seeker who relies on mtv...shame on you.

I don't rely on MTV, I know they don't give me good metal bands. What I do is watch the Metal music channel on DirecTV, but the majority of them just scream their heads off like all the other nu-metal acts, but then some are OK.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone, and I think I have heard of Shadows Fall before.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh we're not done yet, kid.

Amorphis (technical swedes)

Mastodon (mutants from atlanta)

The Berzerker (sick-fast grind)

Nasum (thrashy swedish grind)

Dying Fetus (Uber-brutal death)

Cryptopsy (Double uber-brutal death)

Acid Bath (swamp metal weirdos)

Slayer (thrashmeisters)

Black Sabbath 1971-1978 (genre-transcending greatness)

Cannibal Corpse-(classic gore)

Immortal (black metal)

Emperor (also black metal)

Agoraphobic Nosebleed (drug grind)

Nile (heaviest thing on earth)

Lividity (Gore band. Take that how you will)

Avulsed (gore)

Fleshgrind (ultra-gore)

Corpsevomit (so gore it will make you shit)

Gorguts (goregrind)

Gorgasm (duh).

Morbid Angel (not gore)

Angel Corpse (some gore)

Crowbar (more swamp metal)

Down (pantera meets swamp metal)

Soilent Green (extra-swampy)

Lamb of God (New England metalcore)

God Forbid (similar to LOG)

Life of Agony-River Runs Red ONLY.

Neck (h/c)

Converge (hardcore-oriented metalcore)

The Dillinger Escape Plan (frantic awesomeness)

Steer clear of that palm-mutey cheeseball power stuff. Gotta go with death, grind, some hardcore, some black metal, and all the swamp bands you can find.

Guest El Satanico

What exactly is "swamp metal"? I've heard two of the bands(acid bath and down) you used the term in reference to, but I have no clue what you're talking about.

don't forget Candiria. They've got that hardcore/metal/jazz/hip-hop/craziness sound.

After hearing two Candira songs, I wish death upon the band. I believe the songs were "Water" and "The Paradigm Shift." They were both HORRIBLE. Candiria is worse than fucking SIX FEET UNDER (because at least you can LAUGH at SFU).

And yes, I know the original poster mentioned Slayer. But they've been down for a while? Try 2 years. It's called "touring" and "recording a new album." They're coming back on tour very soon (October 17th is when they hit Worcester again, and I'M...SO...THERE).

And "swamp metal" has a ways to go before it can be honestly looked at as a true subgenre. We need to have the POSEUR swamp bands to come around. It also has a heavy blues influence (Down and Eyehategod specifically).

Nevermortal,

If those dolphins were impaled on a spear, you'll love the album cover even better.

And there is nothing wrong with cheesy power metal, he just doesn't know what he is talking about

But stay away from King Diamond

Nevermortal,

If those dolphins were impaled on a spear, you'll love the album cover even better.

And there is nothing wrong with cheesy power metal, he just doesn't know what he is talking about

Yes, yes I would.

And yes, I do like some power metal. Sonata Arctica, Manowar, Hammerfall, Yngwie are all good to me.

But how dare you blaspheme against the King? The King is great. Mercyful Fate is better though.

don't forget Candiria. They've got that hardcore/metal/jazz/hip-hop/craziness sound.

After hearing two Candira songs, I wish death upon the band. I believe the songs were "Water" and "The Paradigm Shift." They were both HORRIBLE. Candiria is worse than fucking SIX FEET UNDER (because at least you can LAUGH at SFU).

Bah. Candiria is brilliant. In order to fully appreciate Candiria you have to be pretty open minded about your musical preferences. It's not for the weak. I love how their music is just all over the place. How many other bands have hardcore breakdowns over jazz drumming and can make it work? Yakuza is like Candiria, but more jazzy.

Nevermortal,

Yes, yes I would.

And yes, I do like some power metal. Sonata Arctica, Manowar, Hammerfall, Yngwie are all good to me.

But how dare you blaspheme against the King? The King is great. Mercyful Fate is better though.

King Diamond's Christmas song "no more presents" is a thing of beauty. It is so terrible that it becomes good.

Guest Choken One
Oh we're not done yet, kid.

Amorphis (technical swedes)

Mastodon (mutants from atlanta)

The Berzerker (sick-fast grind)

Nasum (thrashy swedish grind)

Dying Fetus (Uber-brutal death)

Cryptopsy (Double uber-brutal death)

Acid Bath (swamp metal weirdos)

Slayer (thrashmeisters)

Black Sabbath 1971-1978 (genre-transcending greatness)

Cannibal Corpse-(classic gore)

Immortal (black metal)

Emperor (also black metal)

Agoraphobic Nosebleed (one-man grind)

Nile (heaviest thing on earth)

Lividity (Gore band. Take that how you will)

Avulsed (gore)

Fleshgrind (ultra-gore)

Corpsevomit (so gore it will make you shit)

Gorguts (goregrind)

Gorgasm (duh).

Morbid Angel (not gore)

Angel Corpse (some gore)

Crowbar (more swamp metal)

Down (pantera meets swamp metal)

Soilent Green (extra-swampy)

Lamb of God (New England metalcore)

God Forbid (similar to LOG)

Life of Agony-River Runs Red ONLY.

Neck (h/c)

Converge (hardcore-oriented metalcore)

The Dillinger Escape Plan (frantic awesomeness)

Steer clear of that palm-mutey cheeseball power stuff. Gotta go with death, grind, some hardcore, some black metal, and all the swamp bands you can find.

Um, A little picky here but how come LOA didn't get sub-genre name like the others?

I guess you would just call it...Hardcore? Everyone else lumps them in there but I never got that connection...I call it GREAT FUCKING MUSIC with a fucking message unlike 80% of hardcore/gore/grind or whatever the fuck...most of it is unintelligble or they read off a thesaurus and try to act smart yet sound dumb.

Amazing to hear Caputo in 1993 with R.R.R and hearing his new stuff which you can hear from my sig...Total Night and Day...

Truth be damned, I like his Mellow Acoustic Shit...I know you'll burn me at the stake for that but at least Caputo is one of the most anti establishment motherfuckers out there...Fuck most of those "ANTI ESTABLISHMENT" punk bands...are on labels. Caputo? Fuck No...He does it on his own and sold over 100,000 just by touring...Roadrunner keeps trying sign him back but he won't unless it's LOA related.

Guest Choken One

Another CLASSIC example of moronic "DEATH" bands looking like putz's with lame names purely based on making you go "OMG! SICK!" when all it does it make you go "What a bunch of pathetic attention seeking whores"

Guest Blas

I must be the only person alive that doesnt like Nile. Oh fucken well.

Swamp Metal? Southern Metal? Southern Sludge? Same things.

Beaten Back To Pure mastered that, as far as I'm concerned.

Some good thrash bands..

Dark Angel

Tankard

Sodom

Kreator

Slaughter

End It

Heathen

Exodus

Other random good bands: The Project Hate, Dismember, Entombed, Grave, Fleshcrawl, Chaos Breed, Murder Squad, Summon, old Hypocrisy, Jungle Rot, Bolt Thrower, God Dethroned

Eh... I don't really buy a whole lot of metal albums just because I need to like an ENTIRE album to justify the price but I will concur in with BLS and Exodus.

Guest Doyo

oh, Blas is the name of one of the guys in hair metal Slaughter so I thought it was

some kind of joke

Guest Agent of Oblivion

A few of the quirky subgenres I listen aren't really so much subgenres, as a method of description. All the New Orleans bands share some sounds with one another (and plenty of band members). I'd call it a viable addition to the myriad list that is heavy metal subgenres. I've yet to hear much come out of there that I don't like. Definitely the heavy blues Sabbathy influence, the groggy doped up nature of the riffs, sinister lyrics, and an overall sound that has moss and mold growing on it, it's great.

I'm admittedly completely biased against power metal though, as my death and grind oriented list backs up. I guess it's good for what it is, I just think it sounds ghey for the most part. Gallop gallop gallop, solo solo solo. My statements on King Diamond are available somewhere on here. For the sake of brevity, I'll just say he sucks.

I at least have given some Power bands the courtesy of an open mind on occasion, and I wish people would do so with Death bands. people hear the names, and five seconds of the vocals, and think "Nahhhhhh." They're doing themselves a great disservice.

Bah. Candiria is brilliant. In order to fully appreciate Candiria you have to be pretty open minded about your musical preferences. It's not for the weak. I love how their music is just all over the place. How many other bands have hardcore breakdowns over jazz drumming and can make it work? Yakuza is like Candiria, but more jazzy.

Well, considering I'll listen to pretty much anything (yesterday, within an hour, I was listening to Johnny Cash, ICP, Acid Bath, Slayer, Janet Jackson, Beethoven, Elvis, and some whiney emo band that my girlfriend subjected me to), I think that means CANDIRIA FUCKING SUCKS. They can be all "weird" and "innovative" as they want, their music is still shitty and the band is still one of the worst bands in existence (almost as bad as The Used...ALMOST).

Guest Blas
oh, Blas is the name of one of the guys in hair metal Slaughter so I thought it was

some kind of joke

Yeah, and that will haunt me forever.

And yeah, there are two Slaughters and one of 'em is very good. Try and look for their album "Strappado"

Speaking of thrash, forgot these fuckers. 2 Ton Predator, their site is currently down but you can check out their mp3.com page