TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silence

Are there any good metal bands anymore?

I at least have given some Power bands the courtesy of an open mind on occasion, and I wish people would do so with Death bands. people hear the names, and five seconds of the vocals, and think "Nahhhhhh." They're doing themselves a great disservice.

You goddamn right. There's nothing more annoying, for me, then to play an Emperor track for someone and ten seconds into the song they start saying shit like, "He's just screaming", "Why's he screaming so much", "This shit is just noise", "Why/How do you listen to this shit" and some other 20 tangents and before you know it the song is over. Open up your minds a little, fuckers.

As a funny side note, I've played so much death/black metal and grindcore for my wife, that any time I put on some power metal she always asks, "Why are you listening to that ghey stuff?"

Well, Czech, I hate Dokken. They blow monkey BUTT. I can handle Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, and other early glam acts...but Dokken? No.

Dokken is like my life, I'm Breakin' The Chains every day.

In all seriousness they're just a decent metal band. It's all about Black Sabbath in the end.

Bah. Candiria is brilliant. In order to fully appreciate Candiria you have to be pretty open minded about your musical preferences. It's not for the weak. I love how their music is just all over the place. How many other bands have hardcore breakdowns over jazz drumming and can make it work? Yakuza is like Candiria, but more jazzy.

Well, considering I'll listen to pretty much anything (yesterday, within an hour, I was listening to Johnny Cash, ICP, Acid Bath, Slayer, Janet Jackson, Beethoven, Elvis, and some whiney emo band that my girlfriend subjected me to), I think that means CANDIRIA FUCKING SUCKS. They can be all "weird" and "innovative" as they want, their music is still shitty and the band is still one of the worst bands in existence (almost as bad as The Used...ALMOST).

Candiria is great. Their guitars are all over the place, and their drummer is INSANELY talented. He really can play a lot of differnet genres well. I can definitely see how someone wouldn't necessarily like their vocals because sometimes there is way too much shrieking. The beauty of Candiria is how unstructured their songs are, but the fact that they are still complex musically and have changes at all kinds of odd times. Too many bands (and bands that I do like) are predictable. Even when they are trying something different. But Candiria is just too all over the place, and listening to them for the first time is crazy. It's great because you can listen to the same album over and over again and still pick up things that you may not have heard the first time. The same goes for Today Is The Day, other really good odd-core bands like Dog Fashion Disco and even Mr. Bungle.

Candiria is one of those bands that I just want to see make it, because they really are doing their own thing and not ripping off someone else. Seeing them on "SNL" as the musical guest would be great, because they certainly have earned a chance to get mainstream exposure.

The Used isn't that bad a band, although there are songs on their album that are definitely better than other. They also put on an a great live show. It's the whole "Kelly Osbourne went out with their singer" cloud they have over themselves.

Guest Choken One

Or Keith Caputo...

Yeah I know he doesn't fit that mold but I gotta pimp the guy.

It's the whole "Kelly Osbourne went out with their singer" cloud they have over themselves.

Or the fact that emo and nu-metal don't mix (think rat poision with Milk Duds), and THE WORST VOCALS IN THE HISTORY OF HEAVY MUSIC don't do the band any favors...

You sir, need to hear some Dillinger, and some Converge.

I actually to listen to DEP and Converge...it's through them that i got into Candiria.

Edited by Steviekick

*alter ego*

DIO IS THE BEST METAL ACT IN EXISTANCE

*alter ego off*...

Candiria has something to them...but i just can't get past their vocals.

It's already been mentioned before, but Iced Earth, any Maiden really (Dance of Death is a great album with a shitty cover).

Other good choices: Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Gamma Ray, Therion.

If you aren't a vehement Blayze Bailey hater, his new one, Silicon Messiah, is worth checking out.

Rob Halford of Judas Priest fame is still doing solo stuff I believe.

Oh, and no offense to anyone else, but to me death metal = :throwup: --what a pile of shit genre that is.

Guest Plushy Al Logan
Cthulhu Posted on Sep 24 2003, 11:58 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poison is still around, and better than Metallicrap. 

No.

What's wrong with Poison?! :angry:

If you aren't a vehement Blayze Bailey hater, his new one, Silicon Messiah, is worth checking out.

Actually, Halford's back in Judas Priest now, though he did do two solo studio albums, and a double-live, if I'm not mistaken.

In case you're wondering where Ripper went, he's in Iced Earth now. And Barlow went to like, law school or something.

And I already miss him.

And as far as Blaze goes, that album isn't new at all. It was released in 2000.

I've only heard the title track, but I think it's good.

And man...calling all death metal shit is kinda asking for it. Not that I like death metal (I *still* can't get around those vocals, though bands like In Flames and Children of Bodom are starting to make the more growly style grow on me) but I still think it's kinda silly to just say "That whole genre is crap!"

Unless you're talking about rap. Then it's OK. :D

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Arch Enemy, Goatwhore, and Nasum are some other bands that will get the death vocals growing on you...

Progress gradually to Dying Fetus' perfect gurgling growl, and Mortician's near unintelligeble murmur. You'll be surprised how easy it is to understand after a little bit.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I love Mortician. They're perfectly willing to compromise every aspect of their sound for the sake of tuning lower and adding more distortion. They're so easy to love.

CHUUUUUUGGG CHUGGGGGGGGG CHUGCHUGCHUG

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Fun fact about Sunn:

They played a show once, and the vibrations were literally so low that the majority of the crowd got diarrhea.

How fucking awesome is that?

Fun fact about Sunn:

They played a show once, and the vibrations were literally so low that the majority of the crowd got diarrhea.

!

Beautiful, in an absolutely hideous sort of a way.

Fun fact about Sunn:

That's like that South Park episode....

Actually, Halford's back in Judas Priest now, though he did do two solo studio albums, and a double-live, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh--that sounds pretty cool. I liked Juggulator but Halford being back in should make for interesting stuff. Checked the Priest site, and says they're working on a new album for 2004 and will be touring as well.

In case you're wondering where Ripper went, he's in Iced Earth now. And Barlow went to like, law school or something.

And I already miss him.

*nod* They shelved The Glorious Burden for a while, but recently announced they're looking to release it and tour to promote it next year.

I'm personally looking forward to a more conventional I.E. album. I like 'em, but just to silence the "they sold out after Burnt Offerings" bitching. I can kinda see the point with two comic-based albums and one based on classic horror icons, even though they didn't change their playing style.

However, with Owens on good terms with Priest still, and Priest having announced a tour and album in 2004 themselves...think maybe Iced Earth and Priest might tour together? That'd be ultra-bitchin'.

And as far as Blaze goes, that album isn't new at all. It was released in 2000.

I've only heard the title track, but I think it's good.

Heh, well, I only heard about it recently and didn't know it has been out that long. Downloaded a few tracks and thinking of picking it up . So new-ish. :P

And man...calling all death metal shit is kinda asking for it. Not that I like death metal (I *still* can't get around those vocals, though bands like In Flames and Children of Bodom are starting to make the more growly style grow on me) but I still think it's kinda silly to just say "That whole genre is crap!"

Unless you're talking about rap. Then it's OK. :D

Yeah, that's why I said "no offense" because that's my opinion. I prefer the older stuff, and newer bands in the 80-ish vain. Not my thing.

Blaze Bailey is a good front man,

Just not good enough to replace Bruce Dickinson

That's something a lot of fans couldn't accept. I saw it as a bit of a case of Bruce wanting to stroke his own ego--going off on his own and making it big solo before his grand and triumphant return. Others just see it as him wanting to do something by himself rather than be constrained by the rest of the band. Still, I can't deny I love his solo stuff.

Bailey was good, but not great. I'd imagine there was a hell of a tough decision to make. When you have to replace a lead singer--especially in a band that's had tremendous success with the old one--you're faced with the choice of trying to find some one who sounds just like the old one, or someone different.

Bailey got flack for sounding different, not having the singing ability Bruce has (I'd imagine they had to limit the older songs. I can't imagine Blaze pulling off Aces High well), and the band's sound changing a bit as a result of working around the new guy. I personally don't hate the Bailey stuff, although they're far from my faves.

Edited by AndrewTS

Despite a lot of critical views, the X Factor album is one of my favourite IM albums. It has a melancholy atmosphere and dark vibe to it, such has never been seen before in a Maiden album. No one can deny the greatness of Sign of the Cross, Fortunes of War or the Edge of Darkness.

I also liked the simplicity of the Virus single from their Best of compilation. And on a side not, X Factor , along with Piece of Mind and Seventh Son..., are supposedly Harris' 3 favourite albums.

With good reason - The X Factor owns.

What I find odd though, is that even though people complained that Bailey didn't fit with Maiden, he actually did fit in well with a number of tunes on the CD. Since the whole CD was more melancholy, his lower style fit better - for the most part. Tracks like "Man on the Edge" were obviously written with Bruce in mind, but when you hear Bruce sing "The Sign of the Cross", even he tries to keep it relatively low.

I dunno how much I like Ripper being in Iced Earth, though. I mean, the samples I heard were good, but I don't think I've ever heard Ripper go outside his whole "I wish I was Halford" singing style, whereas Barlow could do that if he felt like it, but he could do a number of other things too.

I'll withold total judgement until I hear the whole thing, though.

But back to their older stuff...Something Wicked This Way Comes is based on a comic book? You sure about that?

Because according to the liner notes, Schaffer wrote that whole storyline himself. By which I mean, it states that all characters and plot etc. etc. are the sole property of Schaffer.

And unless there's one really fucked-up comic book that involves priests molesting children, the War of Independence and Schaffer's best friend being killed, then I doubt the rest of it is from a comic either.

Just sayin'...