TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mrnoitaull

Outkast is OUT!!!!

I've gotten the "Speakerboxx/The Love Below" album and it is the most unorthodox and awry album I've heard....LAVBELING IT AS MY FAVORTIE ALBUM OF THE DECADE.

Yeah it may seem like I'm taking it alittle overboard.. BUt to me , I'm not. Dre' has really blended over. You can hear his transformation in his jzzy or techno mixed songs. Man I gotta go!! Need my daily dose of STANK! :spank:

GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS!!!!

I haven't hit Dre's disc yet, but Big Boi's is in-fucking-credible. I thought Stankonia's production sounded cool, but it's got nothing on this. Yowza. This album is all over the place but still flows unspeakably well. I can't get the pianos on "Flip Flop Rock" out of my head.

Guest HungryJack

I think it is fair to say that EVERYBODY knows Big Boi is the more talented of the two, it's just that Andre is the more flamboyant and noticeable. Fuck Dre.

Why is it that everyone shit on Andre and praises Big Boi? Big Boi does't suck by any means, but why no love for Dre? I think he's the better MC of the two, and is much more willing to take risks and experiment with other musical forms.

Dre's my personal fave too. I love them both but Dre takes the cake for me. The comparisons have been made in tons of reviews about this album in particular, but he reminds of my mild demi-god Prince in the variety of stuff he can pull off. Here's hoping his side keeps up that impression in me.

So does the whole album sound like the 2 videos that are out? Is ?uestlove involved in this and are any other members of the Dungeon Family or any of the regular colab partners in this?

So does the whole album sound like the 2 videos that are out?  Is ?uestlove involved in this and are any other members of the Dungeon Family or any of the regular colab partners in this?

A lot of Big Boi's disc is similar to "The Way You Move," in that it's very rap-heavy, funky, etc. "Hey Ya!" isn't really representative of Dre's side, which is much more slow-groove or atmospheric as a rule; there are probably only 2 or 3 other numbers that keep the pace as up as that song, and he only truly raps maybe 3 or 4 verses on his whole disc. I'm still very much liking it though, if it is overlong.

I don't think ?uestlove is involved at all, but all the Dungeon Family guys are there--Killer Mike, Cee-Lo, Sleepy Brown, and Big Gipp all have a few verses, and a lot of outsiders like Jay-Z, Ludacris, Norah Jones, Kelis, and Lil' Jon show up in various places.

Guest Doyo
I think it is fair to say that EVERYBODY knows Big Boi is the more talented of the two, it's just that Andre is the more flamboyant and noticeable. Fuck Dre.

Haha, do you have the two confused or something? Just listen to "B.O.B." as

one example. Dre raps very fast on it but still has perfect breath control and

enunciation. Then for contrast listen to "Ms. Jackson" and how his voice flows

perfectly around the slow beat. Big Boi is good, but Andre is top 10 in the world,

IMO. It has nothing to do with his wacky clothes. He always got more praise

than Big Boi, even before he started wearing them.

Guest Unwritten Religion

perfectly around the slow beat. Big Boi is good, but Andre is top 10 in the world,

Yeah, I always thought Dre was better of the two when I heard Player's Ball.

I dunno, I prefered Boi's verses on those songs. He always seems like he's got better lines than Dre.

Why is it that everyone shit on Andre and praises Big Boi? Big Boi does't suck by any means, but why no love for Dre? I think he's the better MC of the two, and is much more willing to take risks and experiment with other musical forms.

Heck Yeah I second that. That's what makes Outkast Outkast :The fact that Dre stands out from the typical rap/hip hop genre'. Big boi,granted ,is "cooler than a polar bear's toenails" but Dre's style of mixing techno and jazz brings something new to the table. I'm totally behind Dre 3000!!

Dre's my personal fave too. I love them both but Dre takes the cake for me. The comparisons have been made in tons of reviews about this album in particular, but he reminds of my mild demi-god Prince in the variety of stuff he can pull off. Here's hoping his side keeps up that impression in me.

You have no idea . wait til you hear it . Matter of Fact , MTV Leak was playing the entire album before it came out.

For those blasting Dre, let me put it this way - I generally hate rap / hip hop / funk. Just can't stand it. Not into it at all. Hell, I'd pretty much rather listen to country music.

But I love everything Dre does. I can't get enough of the guy.

That must count for something.

Guest El Satanico

How can you hate funk...that's like hating blaxploitation movies

I just can't see it

I really dont see how the one song has been number 1 on trl. it doesnt fit in witht eh rest of the crap on the show, unless of course trl is totaly fixed, which wouldnt shock me at all. i mean it is already sorta fixed, but if it was totally fixed, well id be shocked.

I really dont see how the one song has been number 1 on trl. it doesnt fit in witht eh rest of the crap on the show, unless of course trl is totaly fixed, which wouldnt shock me at all. i mean it is already sorta fixed, but if it was totally fixed, well id be shocked.

that show is fixed big time. mtv (viacom) uses the same formula as radio station (clear channel communications). they all use pay for play, if you ever notice most of the acts on the show don't sell many records.

btw, i am listening to speakerboxxx right now and its freaking amazing. big boi is amazing as a solo act.

Guest Doyo
that show is fixed big time. mtv (viacom) uses the same formula as radio station (clear channel communications). they all use pay for play, if you ever notice most of the acts on the show don't sell many records.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were rigging it, but there isn't really any evidence of

that. Most videos that make it on there are the ones that people ages 10-16 (mostly female)

like. Those fans are the ones that are the most dedicated and have the free time to keep

voting for their favorites. Some of those acts probably don't sell a lot because it is mostly

only the 10-16 age group that likes them, but at the same time you get people like Hillary

Duff, who most Americans have never heard of, selling tons of records. If the record companies

could pay and get anything they wanted on there, then we would see other stuff that they pimp

all the time, like the Strokes and the White Stripes. Maybe both of those have been on TRL,

I wouldn't know because I rarely watch it.

I just bought the album this weekend, at first I wasn't sure about dre's side I didn't think I was going to like it. But, I end up liking a lil bit especially "She Lives in my Lap," "Spread," and "Day and the life of Andre Benjamin" but I liked Big Boi side better. I just hope Dre goes back to rapping because I still pefer him rapping than singing. Overall, I think this album suffered from a lack of chemistry between the two that im use to hearing, its an ok album might be my least favorite Outkast album right now.

Guest El Satanico
lack of chemistry between the two that im use to hearing

Isn't that the whole point of doing seperate CDs...

Chemistry between both while doing totally Seperate CDs...you shouldn't have been expecting it.

Who your favorite is, is totally dependant on the person, not much to the artist. They both are equally talented muscicians. Big boi takes it in one direction and Dre takes it in the other. You will probably lean to one direction or the other...or you're like me and take each for what they do and love them equally.

I think this is one of the more amazing albums that I have heard in a while. You can't go wrong with either half.

I was reading on another site on the whole meaning of Dre's side which is pretty deep and I now understand whole point of it is that the Love/Women theme is just his metaphor meaning for his deep affection for his music. As far lack of chemistry thing I figured that atleast they would appear on each others albums more often then they did. Love Below is good, but I hope that Dre doesn't quit rapping like he always saying in his interviews.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I haven't heard this, but the concept of an album where everyone involved does their own thing can turn out pretty cool. Off topic, but Pink Floyd did this masterfully with Ummagumma. I'd think rap would be a genre conducive to that idea, too, due to the individuality involved.

I was reading on another site on the whole meaning of Dre's side which is pretty deep and I now understand whole point of it is that the Love/Women theme is just his metaphor meaning for his deep affection for his music.

Just out of curiosity, what site is that?