TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest EQ

Can you work with music on?

Guest EQ

When you do work, either at your job or homework, etc, do you listen to music (assuming they let you at work) or does it distract you?

It used to distract me a lot, but lately I've been throwing on a CD while I do my work and it doesn't bother me.

I listen to music all day, every day while at work. Between the songs saved to my hard-drive, the various places to find songs/setlists/radio stations online and CD's that I bring in, I have no issues finding something for every mood or situation. It's gotten to the point that if I don't listen to music, the silence is distracting.

I'd probably get a lot more done without it, but I can't seem to go very long without music these days. It depends, I'll work better to something like drukqs or meet the residents than the wolf. If you listen to something that disappears into the background easily, then it might stimulate you if you're writing an essay or something.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The music at work is actually the bane of my existence. I work primarily with rurally oriented women in their late 30's and early 40's, one of which LOVES pop country, and a few folks my age who will listen to whatever's on. They're all diplomatic about it, though, so I get my turn to exact vengeance.

For what? You might ask...Well, when it's not on a wretched pop country station, it's most likely on top 40 same old crap that plays songs I hate, twice in one shift, JUST FOR ME!

Examples:

Clay Aiken's gay anthem

Kelly from TV's shitty song

Rueben from TV's fat shitty song

Uncle Kracker's charming redition of "Drift Away"

Shania Twain's pop crossovers

...and most of all..."Old time Rock and Roll" by Bob Seger.

you see my point.

It's sad to say that it's a blissful occasion when the radio's on clearchannel deluxe rock music over and over again. Sure, the Saliva and Puddle of Mudd is like pulling teeth, but I might luck out and catch some decent classic rock thrown in there.

Revenge is a sweet thing though, and the nights when I am stereo dictator, their heads pound. I find that the country fans despise Nile and Mortician the most, while the Aerosmith and Def Leppard contingent cringe at the mention of King Crimson and Pink Floyd.

That's not to say that the planets don't occasionally align, and a group of like-minded or indifferent people are in the general vicinity of the stereo. It's not so bad, then.

Guest Coffey

Oh yeah. I can't make it through my work day without the radio. It's how I pass the time. I know all the songs, so I sing along while prepping shit in the morning and in the evening I have to turn it down a little bit when we start getting more busy....

We have the non-stop CD at work, with pop on it, but it's mostly rap, which I hate.

With my homework, I listen to CD's, or put on a playlist and turn the computer speakers up so that I can hear them at the kitchen table.

Whenever possible. Doesn't always work, since I have people stopping by my office regularly, but I listen to theiceberg.com at work whenever I can.

At university, I couldn't work without either music or the TV on in the background.

All depends on the music. If it's something fast-paced with a nice beat, not really, but if it's something soft and smooth,like R&B or something like that, then yeah I can work pretty well.

Guest Insanityman

Yeah, I almost have to have music on lightly. Usually it's something lighter but sometimes if I'm rushing I'll bust out the faster music- it's all mental, doubt it increases my work rate.

Guest EQ

I've noticed that when I play music on my computer, it distracts me more. Probably because it's coming from right in front of me and I can change songs very easily. Whenever I do work, I'm usually at my computer. Lately though, I've been putting on a CD in my little clock radio by my bed and I've found that it distracts me less.

I sometimes have music on when I work. I always have it on when I go to sleep though. And what I listen to varies, though I do find the U2 of the 80s are a good band to go to sleep to.

I'm doing it right now! I always have my iTunes cranking in my headphones when I'm at work.

The only distractions it poses are:

1. When I have to remove my headphones to stand up or get something out of reach, and

2. When I have to stop what I'm doing to skip a song on my songlist. The problem with iTunes is that the random feature ends up shuffling to the "most listened to" tracks in my songlist. I have roughly 24 hours of music in my current songlist alone, but I can only get through about 5 hours of it at a clip, so it ends up playing most of the same stuff everyday. And that's why I gave up listening to the radio.

Hold on, I gotta skip over this Tori Amos track...

;)

I've always got Windows Media Player going, with my songs in shuffle rotation...though I have a bad habit of getting addicted to certain songs and thus blasting them several times a day.

I use the MusicMatch player at work, and just leave it on unless I'm going to lunch. Nothing hard, mostly AAA (adult album alternative) stuff from the past couple of years, and some dance tunes. Keeps me productive, or at least it keeps people from bothering me too much...