TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DARRYLXWF

Really, Really Bad Album Covers

After coming off Iron Maiden's first really bad album cover (though musically it's still brilliant), I thought it would be neat if we all through in a few shitty covers that have caught our eyes.

B00007LTIN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Europe 72 - Greatful Dead, just a very annoying cover.

B00005BGKG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Lost Horizon - Awakening the World. This one really pisses me off, rats and pigs in business suits acting as the puppeteers of everyone else with the band marching in from the horizon. Wow, that's really deep man.

Mayhem - Dawn of the Black Hearts

I put a link to a page with all of Mayhem's album covers, as the actual image page just transfers you to the main site. Anyway, I read a while back that the former member of Mayhem, Euronymous (sp?), found the bands singer (named 'Dead') dead in his apartment, having shot himself with a shotgun. Along with calling the ambulance, Euronymous also took photos of the dead singer and ate his brain (which only a true black metaller would do ;) ). Someone please tell me this is NOT a picture of Dead.

Edited by DARRYLXWF

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure he still has the necklace with pieces of the guy's skull on it, too.

Guest BAR

'Paranoid' Black Sabbath. Great album, bad cover. Nothing by Sabbath is really appealing to my eyes. Great on the ears though.

I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure he still has the necklace with pieces of the guy's skull on it, too.

Yep, he's probably sporting that necklace post-mortem, AoO.

And yes, that is indeed a post-suicide picture of Dead. His suicide note read "excuse all the mess".

It doesn't surprise me that he committed suicide, considering what kind of individual he was. If you read Lords of Chaos and the Spin Article, the two things paint him as a really weird guy, obsessed with death and decay. He used to bury his clothing six feet deep until it was rotten and filled with maggots, his skin was so pale that it was nearly blue, and before performing, he used to huff the fumes of a dead raven in a plastic bag, to "get the stench of death".

Says Hellhammer: "Euronymous took pieces of the brain and made a stew. He put in ham, frozen vegetables, and paprika. He'd always said he wanted to eat flesh, so he figured this was an easy way."

'Paranoid' Black Sabbath. Great album, bad cover. Nothing by Sabbath is really appealing to my eyes. Great on the ears though.

The thing about Black Sabbath's cover art for "Paranoid" is that it was designed under the idea that the album would be called "War Pigs". The title was changed at the 11th hour do to the recording of Paranoid, which was made the title of the album at the last minute...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

You know, for as much acid as those guys did, you'd think they'd come up with a good album cover. The first one was ok, being kinda creepy and all, but Paranoid's is just retarded, and everything else is just pretty...meh. It's an album cover though, not everything can be as crazy as Axis: Bold as Love

Guest Agent of Oblivion

No way, the interactive cover of III is the best part about the album.

I heard about the Sabbath story--it was in the Reunion liner notes, along with some other cool stories.

A few classically bad ones come to mind: Sex Pistols' Nevermind the Bollocks (pukey pink and green. Ugh).

Load and Reload--Metallica.

Dokken: Under Lock and Key. A shot of the band looking extremely feminine.

Stoned Immaculate--Doors covers: Uh...there's a listing of the bands covering the songs...and this thing on the cover... *shrug*

I've always thought tha Pet Soundsby The Beach Boys had the worst cover for a great album...

Na, I like that one. It's nice and bright in a totally naive way.

At what point did somebody think that the best way to sell that album was to put a picture of them feeding goats on the cover?

Damn hippies...

I've always thought tha Pet Soundsby The Beach Boys had the worst cover for a great album...

Na, I like that one. It's nice and bright in a totally naive way.

At what point did somebody think that the best way to sell that album was to put a picture of them feeding goats on the cover?

Damn hippies...

I wasn't around then, but I bought it because it was a fucking great album, not because of the cover art.

You know, for as much acid as those guys did, you'd think they'd come up with a good album cover. The first one was ok, being kinda creepy and all, but Paranoid's is just retarded, and everything else is just pretty...meh. It's an album cover though, not everything can be as crazy as Axis: Bold as Love

Another reason the Paranoid cover is a load of ass is that it shows a policeman weilding his nightstick and shield, ready for battle. guess what the original title was going to be.

Oh and Chave, that Genesis one is about the worst thing I've ever seen.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Everything mentioned has NOTHING on the following..:

e91114igvou.jpg

Every time I see that fucking cat with the sword, I'm literally howling with laughter.

Everything mentioned has NOTHING on the following..:

e91114igvou.jpg

Every time I see that fucking cat with the sword, I'm literally howling with laughter.

Oh my GOD, that had only just left my mind. I saw it on vinyl hung up on the wall of a shop once, and had to leave.

Guest El Satanico

I like both of these on some level, but others may see them as bad album covers.

B0000089JE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

c59688m6ci0.jpg

No, that Pantera cover is worse, because it's A FUCKING PANTERA ALBUM.

See, you have to realize that Pantera denies that whole part of their existence ever happened. Diamond Darrell? That was a typo. Twice.

I saw it in a shop once, and I wish I had bought it, just to show it to Pantera fans so I could be like "No, THIS is hardcore!!!"

That'd be fun.