TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Gamecube now $99.99

REDMOND, Wash., Sept. 24, 2003 – Just in time for the biggest video game thrills of the fall, Nintendo of America Inc. today announced a new MSRP of $99.99 for its Nintendo GameCube home game console, effective tomorrow, Sept. 25. This great new price opens an $80 price advantage over its two console competitors.

While the price of Nintendo GameCube hardware is falling, the variety and affordability of great software is soaring. Coupled with expansion of the Nintendo GameCube library to more than 320 games by the end of the year, the new MSRP of $99.99 and added exclusive offers will further boost momentum for the console throughout the holidays.

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, available Nov. 17 exclusively for Nintendo GameCube, is the most-anticipated game of the season. Nintendo has announced that customers who reserve a copy of the game in advance will receive a free bonus disc, loaded with game footage and gameplay previews for a wide array of upcoming hits.

In addition, Nintendo recently expanded the Player's Choice library offering discounted prices for a half dozen award winning games including Super Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing and Metroid Prime.

"So far in 2003, Nintendo GameCube is the only home console showing an increase in unit sales compared to 2002," says George Harrison, senior vice president, marketing and corporate communications, Nintendo of America. "Every time a generation of technology has moved into the true mass market, Nintendo has prospered. This incredible new price and our great software offers are designed to accelerate that trend like never before."

"This is not only good for Nintendo, but great for consumers," says Lucky Evani, Toys 'R Us representative. "For $99, you can now buy video game technology that you couldn’t have purchased for $99,000 just a few years ago."

The hot holiday titles from Nintendo will include Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (Nov. 17), Kirby Air Ride (Oct. 13), Mario Party 5 (Nov. 11), 1080 Avalanche (Dec. 1), and Pokémon Channel (Dec.1), as well as the highly anticipated Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles and Pokémon Colosseum in the first quarter of 2004. In addition, the Nintendo GameCube fall lineup is packed with top quality interactive thrills provided by independent publishers that appeal to every game taste, ranging from sports to action to role-playing titles.

For more information about Nintendo GameCube and upcoming game launches for the system, please explore www.nintendo.com.

LINK: http://www.nintendo.com/news/news_articles...?articleID=9014

I think this is totally awesome. Even though it doesn't really mean much to me since I have had a GameCube for almost two years now, this should drive GameCube sales through the roof. Some may call it desperation on Nintendo's part, but this is a very smart business move on their part. Plus, with the low cost of producing the system, they can actually afford to drop their price unlike Sony or Microsoft. Also, there are rumors that Nintendo is planning a holiday bundle with the GameCube and Mario Kart: Double Dash for only $99 (although I really wouldn't bet on it). This may seem like a very un-Nintendo-like move, but it's nice to see them finally starting to be aggressive..

Holy shit! Looks like it's time for me to get off my cheap ass and get a Cube. I've been putting it off, but this is like some sort of bizarro reality where something is too good to pass up.

There's more good news...since alot of the games that I think are great on Cube can be had on the cheap now...

Pre-owned prices from EBGames.com (which means the new copy price won't be much more):

Eternal Darkness: 24.99 (although you can find them at some Blockbusters for like...15 bones)

Resident Evil: 17.99

Resident Evil 0: 19.99

Animal Crossing: 34.99

Super Monkey Ball: 19.99

Super Monkey Ball 2 (New): 29.99

Metroid Prime: 19.99

Well, I want a game system, but don't know which one to get, PS2 or GC. I don't work and only get an allowance. Sure PS2 has more games but it's what, $200? GC is only $99 and has some good stuff. Christ, if I a Cube I won't be able to buy HCTP...

decisions...decisions...

Since I really only buy a system based on its wrestling games (hence why N64 and PS2 are my preferred systems), I'll prolly end up asking for a GC for X-Mas.

Don't for get the Game Boy Player so you can play Fire Pro and all of the retro remakes that come out for GBA.

Since I really only buy a system based on its wrestling games (hence why N64 and PS2 are my preferred systems), I'll prolly end up asking for a GC for X-Mas.

Don't for get the Game Boy Player so you can play Fire Pro and all of the retro remakes that come out for GBA.

WHOOO! So you can fork out $150+ to play games you could play on the original systems for a fraction as much!

Good value in my opinion, even though I already own a Cube.

Yet, I fear this could mean the GC could be going the way of that other powerful console made by a former industry giant that was rather small but came with 4 controller ports built into the console from the start.

You know, that Dreamcast thingy? Still have mine and love it...but Nintendo franchises on PS2/X-Box would sadden me.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I don't think it means GC is going under. It's probably the cheapest of the systems to produce and last I checked they still had a slight edge on the X-Box sales wise when you took in the International market.

Now when you see the X-Box getting to this level be worried b/c they've already dropped the price to where they're barely making money on it.

Yeah, the Gamecube had been the only console that was making money on selling the console itself. I doubt they are making money now, but they arent making any more Gamecubes for a while and the losses will be made back easily in software sales.

The only thing though is that they are not offering a free game anymore, but it all comes out the same if you get a Gamecube and a new $50 game, you still spend $150.

Nintendo won't go out of buisness. Remember the near-monopoly they have on the handheld market?

Remember that 3D supporting handheld announced by Sony--the company that kicked Nintendo and Sega's asses in the console market?

Guest Salacious Crumb

Yeah but no handheld system has ever been able to last against the Gameboy.

I'll believe a system can dethrone it when I see it happen.

This is much stiffer competition we're talking about.

It's more comparable to the PSX situation.

Nintendo's already got a large fanbase (ala PSX/PS2) when Sony's a new entry into the market (Xbox)

It's more comparable to the PSX situation.

Nintendo's already got a large fanbase (ala PSX/PS2) when Sony's a new entry into the market (Xbox)

Fair enough, however the GBA can't technically stack up to the PSP, plus the PSP will be more smartly designed.

It's also vastly more powerful.

I think GBA will still hold on strong for a while, but the PSP will overtake it in time. Then Nintendo will have to create a more powerful handheld to compete with it.

Which SUCKS BTW...as the 2D gaming is why I bought a GBA in the first place.

Also consider that making 2D games for GBA is both cheaper and faster...and as it has the largest market many companies make tons of games for it because its easier to make money.

The move to 3D will pretty much end all that.

More bad news for GC though:

Atari Cancels GameCube Titles

Posted By Bebito Jackson on 09.25.03

Some bad news for the GameCube, indeed.

Yesterday, despite the recent price reduction, Atari has decided to cancel the GameCube release of several titles. Titles confirmed for cancellation are Driver 3, Mission Impossible: Operation Surma, and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.

The news - that comes out of a Sega event in Holland - is sure to be a blow to Nintendo and its fans, as the cancelled titles were looking mighty good, indeed. Sadly the bad news doesn't stop there, as Atari is considering cancelling other titles.

We'll keep you updated with details

Which SUCKS BTW...as the 2D gaming is why I bought a GBA in the first place.

Also consider that making 2D games for GBA is both cheaper and faster...and as it has the largest market many companies make tons of games for it because its easier to make money.

The move to 3D will pretty much end all that.

Yeah, I know. To me, the 2D medium can easily coexist with 3D, but the "next-gen" titles have ghettoized it to the portables. So I'm glad to have them still.

However, thanks to Sony and to a lesser extent Nokia, 3D is now an option. We'd prefer 2D stay alive, but if it's polygons the casuals want, it's f'n polygons the casuals shall have.

More bad news for GC though:

Atari Cancels GameCube Titles

Posted By Bebito Jackson on 09.25.03

Some bad news for the GameCube, indeed.

Yesterday, despite the recent price reduction, Atari has decided to cancel the GameCube release of several titles. Titles confirmed for cancellation are Driver 3, Mission Impossible: Operation Surma, and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.

The news - that comes out of a Sega event in Holland - is sure to be a blow to Nintendo and its fans, as the cancelled titles were looking mighty good, indeed. Sadly the bad news doesn't stop there, as Atari is considering cancelling other titles.

We'll keep you updated with details

OH NO! 2 crappy movie games and a 2nd sequel to a game that didn't even deserve the first sequel (Driver)..How will I ever be able to go on knowing that I wont be able to play these games on my Gamecube?

*faints, rolls down steps and dies*

*buys extra life for $.50*

Oh, and the PSP thing..I've said it before, the price point doesn't fit the main audience of handheld games, Kids. The PSP will be at least $200, and with the PS3 supposedly coming out shortly after the PSP, I can't imagine that many people will buy the PSP when they can wait for the PS3. So Sony's dominance in the home console will be their main hinderance to doing anything in the handheld market.

Edited by MarvinisaLunatic