TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captian Linger

Best hard rock songs...

Guest Captian Linger

I was thinking of putting together a complilation of the "greatest" Hard Rock songs from way back till pretty recent.

Rules: only one song per band. That means a lot of tough choices between great songs. Also, this is by no means a list of personal 'favorites' that I might dig and others would shake their heads at. This is somewhat of an attempt to make an objective telling of great, *transendent* Hard Rock songs that have a wide range of appeal. The kind of songs that could turn people into fans of the said act.

What is going in for sure in no particular order:

"Stairway to Heaven"-Led Zeppilin

"Free Bird"-Lynard Skynard

"Layla"-Eric Clampton

"Bohemian Rhapsody"-Queen

These four represent to me the epitome of great 'classic' rock. They are direct standout hits that are easy to pick out of the air as being the 'best' the band ever put out and that's not easy to say. Zep alone had the most impressive body of work I've probably ever heard. Hendrix had a lot of good songs but what to pick to represent what made him great? "All Along the Watch tower" and "Purple Haze" come to mind but then I have to wonder if those songs as stand alones can compete with the above choices? I'm not so sure. I'm having the same problem picking a Black Sabbath song.

What's also in:

"November Rain"-GnR

...This is the only tune from the 80's-90's-present that really stood out in my mind as being on par with Zep classics like 'Stairway'. There are a ton of great GnR songs out there, Use Your Illusion II is just a masterpiece through and through. But I have to give the nod to 'Rain' here.

"Another Brick in the Wall Part 2"-Pink Floyd

..A band with the genius like this had an *awesome* body of work and their albums aren't really known for standout tracks, rather for a continous flow of pyschodelic groves and instrumental goodness. This song had a loooong lead-in that's pretty interesting but it adds little to the song being judged as a stand alone. Just by itself, the song holds up exceptionally well taken completely out of context of the lead-in and makes the cut on that merit. You can't say that for a lot of 'Floyd songs.

Other bands that are going to make the cut-

Metallica: Sheesh, where do we even start? Their 'best' work was from '86-'88 but no song really stands out as transendent. The Black Album was certainly more radio friendly but a classic, that makes not. I'm considering tracks like "One" and "Welcome Home (Santarium)" but even those far shy of a wide range of appeal. This is going to be another tough one.

Pantera: Same problem except worse. "Cemetary Gates" is the front runner, even if I prefer their later work, it's the closest to the concept I'm going for here.

Megadeth...............By the way, I'm sad to see them part ways but their best days are far behind them. But to pick one track to represent one of the best bands of the 80's? A tough task indeed. "Rust in Peace" was their 'best' album but I'd be hard pressed to pick one song from it. "Peace Sells" is catchy and a Megadeth classic in its own right but it hardly holds up against my other choices, no?

Okay, now I'm taking suggestions from here on out.

Guest goodhelmet

Personal Faves:

Queen: Seven Seas of Rhye

David Bowie: All the Madmen

Iron Maiden: Revalations

Zeppelin: Nobody's Fault But Mine

Kiss: Charisma

Alice Cooper: Billion Dollar Babies

Guest pochorenella

May I offer my suggestions? Thank you.

So you're looking for "signature songs" from each band. Well, I'll try to be objective and let go of my favoritism. Here goes:

Kiss: Tough choice but I'll go with "Rock and Roll All Nite" (Alive! version)

Black Sabbath: "Paranoid"

Iron Maiden: a toughie between "Number of the Beast" and "Hallowed Be Thy Name". "Revelations" is a great suggestion, though.

GN'R: "Welcome To The Jungle" I think best represents them, even though "Rain" is one of my all-time faves.

Ozzy: "Crazy Train". But he's already with Sabbath, so I don't know.

Def Leppard: I'm not sure between "Photograph" or "Pour Some Sugar..."

AC/DC: "Highway To Hell"

Scorpions: "Rock You Like A Hurricane"

Pearl Jam: either "Alive" or "Jeremy"

I'm not sure if you want to include bands from rock's golden/glam age (late 80's-early 90's), like Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Ratt, Dokken, etc., 'cause most of their songs are a notch below several songs from bands already on your list.

Let me know if any of my suggestions make your list. Peace.

Guest redbaron51

Geez there's many

Black Sabbath: War Pigs

Ozzy Osbourne: No More Tears

Metallica: Master of Puppets

AC/DC: Whole Lotta Roise

Iron Maiden: Fear of the Dark

Judas Priest: You've Got Another Thing Coming

Pantera: Cemetary Gates

GnR: Sweet Child Of Mine

Van Halen: Eruption/You Really Got Me

Led Zeppelin: Whole Lotta Love

Who: We Won't Get Fooled Again

Pink Floyd: Welcome to the Machine

Megadeth: Countdown to Extinction

Tool: Sober

Guest razazteca

ACDC "Hells Bells"

Aerosmith "Back in the Saddle"

G N R "Welcome to the Jungle"

Pantera "Cowboys from Hell"

Danzig "Mother"

Def Leppard "Pour Suger on Me"

Motely Crue "Live Wire"

Iron Maiden "Sign of the Beast 666"

KISS "Want to Hear it Loud"

Black Sabbath "NIB"

Rammstein "Du Hast"

Tool "schism"

Metallica "One"

Guest Shaved Bear

for pantera you have to use cemetary gates its their best song by far

as for metallica...

sheesh, and song from ride the lightning or master of puppets is good enough, with of course one

Guest Mark4steamboat

Tool- personally, Aenima(the song and cd) is their best work and i can only hope that they will produce an album better than lateralus. aenima(the song) has maynard at his finest with amazing vocals and great music to accompany it.

Guest TheyCallMeMark

As for Metallica, I can point to you in the direction of a trandescendant song. "Fade To Black".

Guest pochorenella

Have some more suggestions:

Aerosmith: either "Dream On" or "Sweet Emotion"

Deep Purple: "Smoke On The Water"

Bon Jovi: either "You GIve Love A Bad Name" or "Wanted Dead Or Alive". You have to include them, even if you don't like 'em.

Van Halen: the "Eruption/You Really Got Me" combo is fine, but if you don't want a cover version use the "Eruption/Ain't Talkin' bout Love" combo from Best Of vol. 1

Judas Priest: "Breaking The Law"

And this one might be a weird choice but...

Autograph: "Turn Up The Radio". It's an anthemic song, which heralded the radio-friendly hard rock of the early-to-mid eighties. I think it's a relevant song.

Peace.