TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

One & Only MLB playoff discussion thread

Looks like I'm going to stay in baseball mode for at least a week. The field is set, so lets hear it.

American League

Boston Red Sox vs. Oakland Athletics

Minnesota Twins vs. New York Yankees

National League

Atlanta Braves vs. Chicago Cubs

Florida Marlins vs. San Fransisco Giants

You know what the only thing worse than the Cubs/Red Sox World Series would be?

Hearing one more goddamned joke about how the Cubs/Red Sox would be the sign of the apocalypse.

Well..it probably would be...

Heck, Giants vs Red Sox would be even worse since the Giants haven't won a title since they moved to San Francisco.

God Help MLB if the World Series ends up being Florida vs Minnesota.

I think the best 2 World Series matchups for fan interest/ratings/entertainment are Cubs/Yankees and Cubs/Red Sox and the worst two would be Florida/Minnesota and Oakland/San Francisco (just because its another regionalized interest game and there might be another earthquake..)

Cutting and pasting from another thread...

Division Series:

Yankees in 5

Red Sox in 4

Braves in 4

Giants in 3

LCS:

Yankees in 7

Giants in 6

World Series:

Giants in 6

I say this:

Cubs in 5

Giants in 3

Red Sox in 5

Yankees in 4

Cubs in 7

Red Sox in 7

Cubs in 7

Apocalypse thereafter

American League

Boston Red Sox in 5

New York Yankees in 4

National League

Atlanta Braves in 4

San Francisco Giants in 5

ALCS

Boston in 7

NLCS

Atlanta in 5

World Series

Boston in 6

Boston clearly has the offense to go all the way, it's just a matter of the pitching holding together during the playoffs though the realist in me says they'll get knocked out in the ALCS by the Yanks...*sigh*

Boston clearly has the offense to go all the way, it's just a matter of the pitching holding together during the playoffs though the realist in me says they'll get knocked out in the ALCS by the Yanks...*sigh*

NO...FOOL!

They will be ousted in the ALCS by the UMPIRES! Just like 1999...which was the year they were supposed to win it all!

Red Sox over Cubs....

Al's head explodes.

Than Jesus returns to earth.

Seriously. Either Sunday or Monday. I'll give a quick report on the Twins strengths and weaknesses. Maybe point some things out the rest of you aren't privy to see on a nightly basis.

Edited by Vern Gagne

Guest Choken One

Is it just me or would a Boston/Chicago series devalue the championship for whoever wins it?

Think about it

"HEY! WE WON THE WORLD SERIES!"

"Yeah but you beat the other big loser"

Either Chicago beats a "cursed" team or Boston beats a team that hasn't won shit in 100 years...

I'd laugh if Florida won it's 2nd championship in 5 years while Chicago fans continue to suffer...

I'll be happy as long as the Cubs, Giants, Twins, and Red Sox advance past the first round, as I'll be happy with any of those teams winning it all. Fuck, I'm happy as long as neither the Marlins or Yankees win.

Guest Choken One
...says the Reds fan.

We've won us a few championships since World War 2...

How about those sox or Cubbies? Didn't think so.

Don't discount the Twinkies. They've been playing damn good baseball the second half of the year and New York has proven the last year that it can be beaten in the postseason, after all.

But yeah, I'll admit. I want to see the Cubs win the Series. I can remember back to when I was like 7 or 8 coming home after school and watching the Cubs on WGN (and I'm a senior in college now). The Indians are still my No. 1 team far and away, no questions asked, but if I need an NL, the Cubs are it.

And by the way, my roommate used to live in Chicago and he worships the Cubs. If the Cubbies won the World Series, I'd probably be able to convince him to buy the beer for our apartment for the rest of the year, no questions asked.

So yeah, Cubbie Pride, all the way.

Game 1 of Boston-Oakland is Wednesday night on ESPN at 10PM Eastern. What the fuck is up with THAT? Can't they make it a 1PM start in Oakland?

Well, it's becoming highly obvious to me that I'm going to have to go at it alone at the Smartmarks during the playoffs. That's all fine and good.

Oh by the way, Mike Lowell is back. Remember him? I know it might be easy to forget him since the Marlins went out and won the wild card while he sat on the bench the past month, but he is their best player. He proved he was back today with a sweet double down the line.

D-Train pitches 6 shutout innings? Good.

Bring on the Playoffs and the rest of your hating.

Is it just me or would a Boston/Chicago series devalue the championship for whoever wins it?

Think about it

"HEY! WE WON THE WORLD SERIES!"

"Yeah but you beat the other big loser"

Either Chicago beats a "cursed" team or Boston beats a team that hasn't won shit in 100 years...

I'd laugh if Florida won it's 2nd championship in 5 years while Chicago fans continue to suffer...

Yeah, but the Cubs would have to have beatne the Braves and Giants or Marlins en route. Likewise, the Red Sox would've passed the A's and Yankees/Twins. So it would mean something.

Geez Choken we already decided you're unqualified to talk about hockey, going for all four here or what?

In regards to the Cubs and Reds, at least the Cubs' management has a fuckin' clue what they're doing, unlike the Reds' management who's pissing on their captain, trading away their talent, and sticking it to the fans. All in a season's work.

Not much of a clue.  They don't play Hee Choi, and they traded Bobby Hill.

I can forgive that, given they went out and got Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton for a bag of used balls and a bucket of lukewarm spit.

Guest Bobby Cox is God

My predictions:

Boston over Oakland in 5.

Minnesota over the Yankees in 4.

Giants over Marlins in 5.

Braves over Cubs in 4.

LCS:

Braves over Giants in 7.

Twins over Red Sox in 6.

WS:

Braves over Twins in 7. (Full circle these fellas come)

Edited by Bobby Cox is God

Granted the Cubs' front office has made some odd choices over the years, but they made some very wise moves this season. Trading Hill was questionable, but Ramirez has really come around as of late and could prove to be a big RBI guy in the future. He's become a better defensive player since coming over to Chicago, and while he's by no means perfect, he's definitely improved. They were playing Choi until he got hurt and even after he came back. Thing was, he still didn't seem fully healed from the injury and when you're in a division race like they were at the time and the other first baseman (Karros) is on such a hot streak, you play the guy who's hot.

I'd imagine Choi will get more time next year, but right now, with all the stock these games over the past couple of months held, you had to play the vets and the guys who were hot.

I don't expect to see Lofton back next year, which is a shame because he'd be a great guy to have on the bench and in the clubhouse, but Patterson's one of the guys they plan on building the team around, so once he's ready to go, there really won't be much room for Kenny. It's hard to say what they'll do over at first base, since they've got three very good players to choose from.

American League

Boston Red Sox in 4

New York Yankees in 3

National League

Chicago Cubs in 5

San Francisco Giants in 4

ALCS

Boston in 7

NLCS

San Francisco in 5

World Series

Boston in 6