TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

One & Only MLB playoff discussion thread

A fan to get involved is bad enough, but when an employee gets into it, well not only is that bad, but it's unprofessional and idiotic (even moreso than when a fan does something).

Oh I totally agree, and whether or not the guy was provoked or not...he's going to probably end up fired before the night is over.

But none of you who are bashing the Sox (fans, staff, team, etc.) are mentioning how 2-3 Oakland fans were jeering at the Red Sox players after a near-fatal collision out in Centerfield.

That's the point I'm trying to say. You guys are jumping too much on the gun against Boston.

All this hatred about Pedro head-hunting jokers when Roger Clemens was standing on the mound just cracks me up.

If Don Zimmer had charged Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan, or even Roger Clemens ten years ago, the same exact thing would have happened. Pedro blocked the punch and pulled him down when he just as easily could have punched him in the face or did something FAR worse.

There's defending your players and then there's unprofessional conduct, and when your charging the opposing team's starting pitcher like an idiot, you deserve to get thrown down, beloved bench coach icon or not. If Pedro wants to be an idiot and throw at some guy in the head to load the bases for Alfonso Soriano, then let him be an idiot. Don't run across the field looking for trouble.

That being said, all of this discussion doesn't happen if Manny Ramirez doesn't wig out about a pitch that was right over the plate.

How much do you want to bet that the "groundskeeper" was really a fan who paid off a real groundskeeper so he could pull that stunt.

Either that, or the guy was "taking one for the team" and trying to stall Rivera before he could throw a pitch in the bottom of the ninth

Steve

If Don Zimmer had charged Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan, or even Roger Clemens ten years ago, the same exact thing would have happened.  Pedro blocked the punch and pulled him down when he just as easily could have punched him in the face or did something FAR worse.

Which reminds me, and granted Robin Ventura is much younger than Nolan Ryan, (also a few years ago Randy Meyers took out a guy who charged the mound from the stands at Wrigley) but in the situation there, when a guy takes action against a guy charging him, that is whats applauded, not "boy thats making the situation worse" or anything

Steve

Guest Anglesault
Oh, and bonus points for everybody who's taking the actions of one outrageously retarded groundskeeper and trying to reflect that on the entire franchise.

Exactly.

Hey, I'm just saying, that when you have an organization that has (in recent years, of course, so cut out the Bronx Zoo shit) prided itself on professionalism like the Yankees have, this kind of nonsense just isn't stood for.

And belive me, each and every member of the Yankee Groundscrew, should this series come back to the Bronx, has been inflicted with the fear of Steinbrenner so they won't even consider such a thing.

Hey, I'm just saying, that when you have an organization that has (in recent years, of course, so cut out the Bronx Zoo shit) prided itself on professionalism like the Yankees have, this kind of nonsense just isn't stood for.

So, what's the call for the bench coach that oversteps his boundaries and "attempts" to physically harm one of the players on the other team, then?

Oh, and bonus points for everybody who's taking the actions of one outrageously retarded groundskeeper and trying to reflect that on the entire franchise.

Exactly.

Exactly. And I'm sure this situation will be taking care of when the groundskeeper is fired this evening.

Once again, it's not like the entire groundskeeping staff had a brawl with the Yankees. One guy did, and who knows why.

Maybe because he was provoked, or maybe because he's a fucking idiot?

Guest Anglesault

So, what's the call for the bench coach that oversteps his boundaries and "attempts" to physically harm one of the players on the other team, then?

It was a brawl. No boundaries were overstepped that weren't overstepped by fifty other guys (on both teams.)

Zimmer, a man that has had some serious head injuries saw Pedro try to take Garcia's head off and got frustrated.

And while I joke about it, if I were Pedro, I would have done the same thing. At least he didn't hit him.

Of course, if Ramirez wasn't a retard, the whole situation could have been avoided.

Willis is a talented guy, but truth is, wearing your emotions on your sleeve like that can work against you, just like Leiter was talking about. I think people got a somewhat wrong representation of Willis, because he was pretty much unhittable the first time through the league, but once batters saw him the second time through in later series, they figured him out, and thus, he doesn't look as incredible as some thought he was. He'll be back, but I'm glad he's out, because he's the one guy on the Marlins squad I could draw some sympathy for when he's not doing well, but now that's he's gone, I won't have to worry about that anymore.

And some will probably slam the Cubs for leaving them loaded, but they did get one from the bases loaded situation, and you can't put a lot of faith in Miller and Clement at bat, because that's not what they have them for.

Im guessing the Cubs have this series locked up.

Too bad the Red Sox can't keep up that end of the deal.

Cubs Yankees wont be that bad.

It will indeed be good, because the Cubs won their season series against the Yankees, I believe

Guest Anglesault
Im guessing the Cubs have this series locked up.

Too bad the Red Sox can't keep up that end of the deal.

Cubs Yankees wont be that bad.

It will indeed be good, because the Cubs won their season series against the Yankees, I believe

That was smack dab in the middle of a HORRENDOUS Yankee run though.

They are playing much better.

2 Yankees Face Charges for Bullpen Fight

BOSTON - Two Yankees will be charged with assaulting a Fenway Park worker who was cheering for the Red Sox in the New York bullpen during the AL championship series Saturday night, police said.

Police spokesman Michael McCarthy did not release the names of the players, but Red Sox spokesman Charles Steinberg said Jeff Nelson and Karim Garcia were the players involved.

"The Red Sox are terribly concerned and distressed about the attack on our employee tonight," Steinberg said.

The Yankees denied the players were to blame in the fight with Paul Williams, a member of the ballpark's grounds crew.

"A security incident like this would never be tolerated at Yankee Stadium," president Randy Levine told The Associated Press. "Unfortunately, there was an atmosphere of lawlessness that was allowed to be perpetrated all day long. The events of the entire day were disgraceful and shameful, and if it happened at our ballpark, we would apologize, and that's what the Red Sox should do here."

With tempers already high following a bench-clearing melee earlier in the game, Nelson took exception to Williams cheering for the Red Sox while in the New York bullpen, and he told Williams so.

"He was standing in our bullpen waving the rally flag," Nelson said, following New York's 4-3 win over the Sox in Game 3 of the AL championship series. "I told him, 'If you're rooting for the Red Sox, why don't you go in their bullpen.' He jumped in my face and tried to take a swing at me."

Williams acknowledged pumping his fist twice while holding a white towel after the Red Sox turned a double play in the ninth inning, Steinberg said.

"If that was in poor taste, or poor judgment, it certainly didn't warrant a beating," Steinberg said.

Williams had cleat marks on his back and his arm, and he may have been kicked in the mouth, Steinberg said. He was recuperating at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, the Red Sox spokesman said.

The Red Sox also said that two police officers in the bullpen backed Williams' story. McCarthy said police considered Williams the victim in the fight.

I don't know about the Williams-Nelson part of it. Let them sort it out. But Garcia shouldn't be charged with anything. If you see your teammate in a fight, with someone you think is a fan who jumped the rail, you back him up and get the guy.

And it does seem like common sense, if you are an employee, that if you are in a visitor's area you show restraint in cheering. Not saying that deserved being hit by Nelson though, if that is how it happened.

One more win! One more win! GO CUBS!!

Damn it...where's Mik when you need him around?

The Marlins have about a 1% chance of winning this thing now. Having to beat Zambrano, Prior, and Woody all back-to-back-to-back is something I don't think they can do.