TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

One & Only MLB playoff discussion thread

Guest Choken One

So if Yankees win...who does MIK have to play with in the Sandbox since no one will stay put...maybe Dames and AS will stop by and slap you around and shit...

I agree Bruiser, I despise the Cubs, but what's the point of coming in here and piling on?

Congrats on the Central title, and we're coming for you bastards next year!

Guest Stunt Granny

I honestly didn't even think the Cubs were going to even make the playoffs this year. And if anyone says stupid shit like "looks like the Cubs are still a joke" can sit on their own nutsack. The Cubs had one hell of an improvement this year and most of the guys on this team aren't going anywhere, we will be stronger next year. Thank you Cubs, for giving us a team we can be proud of for once.

I hope Boston WINS tomorrow, and Steinbrenner goes nuts and fires everyone who got him to where he is, triggering a death spiral that takes the team years and years to dig out of.

Hey, a guy can dream.

I'll second that. Boston and Florida would be considerably more entertaining as a series (Upset Kidz vs. Cursed Sluggers) than to see the Marlins tangle with the Yankee Machine, in my opinion.

As for the Cubs/Marlins, I'd like to place the blame squarely on Dusty Baker's criminal misuse of his pitchers. Wood had nothing left in the tank last night, and Prior was used far beyond his limit last night.

As for the Cubs/Marlins, I'd like to place the blame squarely on Dusty Baker's criminal misuse of his pitchers. Wood had nothing left in the tank last night, and Prior was used far beyond his limit last night.

Blame Dusty if you want to, but those two are the two biggest reasons why the Cubs got as far as they did. It worked all year long, so why would you change now?

I guess the good thing about it is that Dusty's (over)reliance on Prior/Woody is that it exposed the Cubs' main weakness: the bullpen. Maybe Hendry will now go after a couple of good bullpen guys, particularly a long relief man.

Oh, and he better find a leadoff hitter, too. Since Patterson will be back next year, Lofton (if he's brought back) will see his playing time go way down. That would leave a large hole at the top.

Jayson Stark has written a great piece at ESPN.com telling why even though everyone hates the Marlins, they shouldn't. Everyone should read it...although I think I'm preaching to the wrong audience.

Jayson Stark has written a great piece at ESPN.com telling why even though everyone hates the Marlins, they shouldn't. Everyone should read it...although I think I'm preaching to the wrong audience.

Unless they've suddenly changed owners, there'll be no changing my mind.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!
I think it's sorta humorous that a lot of people only start to show up in this thread to kick the Cubs when they're down.

:P

Ok, sure the NLCS was amazing, but focus people!

Boston and the Yankees, the biggest rivalry in sports, game 7 for the world series.

Pedro and the Rocket in a tug of war for Joe Torre's sanity. I've never even been on the East Coast and I'm pumped as fuck.

ps - cubs sux dood

The only reason I "hate" the Marlins is because they eliminated my Cubs. That's the only reason I rooted against them in the NLCS. I was ecstatic when they beat the Giants; and in any other year, I'd be cheering like mad for them because they are the "undeserving" and "doesn't belong" underdog.

I like the Marlins, but I can't watch them in the World Series. I honestly hope they win (just as a 'fuck you' to Boston/NYY), but I can't watch. But it's ONLY because they beat the Cubs.

I would have kicked the Cubs when they were up...but everyone seemed so happy thinking that this time was different.

On the other side...

I'm calling a Boston vs. Florida World Series.

I won't say anything to the ecstatic Boston fans either...although we all know how it's going to end.

I DESPERATELY need Boston to win. I'm going to be in Las Vegas next week, and I want to watch one of the games in the Mandalay Bay sports book. I'm sure as hell not going to bother if it's Yankees/Marlins.

Wasn't Patterson their leadoff hitter before he got injured or was he the number two guy? I'm drawing a blank on that for some reason. It's a shame that with Corey back though, we probably won't see Lofton back in a Cubs uniform next year. He was brought in as a replacement and for the playoffs. His job is basically done in the eyes of management and even though he helped a great deal, I won't be surprised if he's traded before we begin the 2004 season.

That brings up a somewhat interesting question. Who won't be back in a Cubs uniform next year? I'm thinking Veres, Guthrie, Lofton, and Simon at least.

Guest Choken One

Lofton tends to get a new team everyyear and that team tends to make the playoffs...

Gotta love him for that.

Cincy doesn't need another outtie but DAMN it pick him up!

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I think they had Patterson hitting leadoff, but he's not really a leadoff hitter. He's like a #3 hitter who just happens to be hitting first.

I'm not sure who's contracts run up for certain, but Simon and Lofton are definatly gone. What kind of contracts do Karros and Grudzilanalilskdl;aksd;lksad have?

Guest Wildbomb 4:20

Boston is going to be absolutely CRAZY tonight. Either there's going to be one massive party on Beacon, Landsdowne, and Yawkey, or there's gonna be a lot of depressed Sox fans this weekend.

I am in complete awe that the Cubs managed to lose a 3-1 lead in this series. How do you manage to do that? Game 6 had that mix-up with the fan, but that still doesn't equate to the Marlins being able to score 8 runs in that innning. Cubs' fans want a scapegoat, and this year, it's this one guy.

As for the Sox current streak of futility, I blame the players. Nothing weird has happened, unless you count Game 3. Pedro v. Clemens III. And I've been calling a Sox-Marlins series for the longest time. Just pray that the city doesn't rip apart at the seams.

I agree Patterson isn't a leadoff hitter, as he was putting up better numbers than anyone on the team before he went down. That's the problem with having guys like Sosa and Alou in the outfield, neither one could ever be a leadoff guy, and there's really not anyone else on their current roster that could be a good leadoff man, except Lofton. Grudzielanek works better as a number two guy (I think he was leading off for a while after Patterson went down), as well. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with that situation.

If they keep Karros, I gotta believe Choi will be seeing more time than him, since he was their number one first baseman, before he went down with the injury. When he came back, he wasn't hitting as well, and Karros was hot. Add in the fact that by that time, the division race had really gotten intense, Baker went with Karros the majority of the time.

But since they'll be starting at the beginning of the road with the start of the 2004 season so to speak, guys like Patterson and Choi will most likely get the chance to develop into the stars that they'll eventually become. Dusty went with the vets down the stretch just because of the experience thing.

I'm not being biased, but Boston has a legit chance to win tonight. Pedro = ready. Wakefield = ready. Timlin = ready.

If they get the bats going, then New England will be fuckin partyin this weekend.

COME ON SOX!

I may get flamed for this, but I'm now morbidly curious to how the reaction will be if the Sox don't win tonight. It can't be much worse than the Cubs, since the Sox were being counted out of everything two days ago, but still, they've forced a game seven and to lose it, makes it all very bittersweet. I'm pretty indifferent now that the Cubs are out. As Choken said earlier, the appeal is gone since the Cubs are out, it doesn't matter as much if the Sox make it now.

Guest Wildbomb 4:20

New England college campuses, and the city of Boston, are in a damned if they do, damned if they don't position. If the Sox win, it'll be one massive party. If the Sox lose, it's gonna be one massive riot. If the Oakland series showed me anything, it's that us Bostonians are fucking nuts.

Pedro will go 4-5 good innings, turn the ball over to Wakefield, then Timlin, Williamson closes, Sox are in the series. Final: Sox 5, Yankees 3.

Player of the Postseason so far for the Sox is easy...

MIKE TIMLIN!!! The dude has been nearly lights out throughout the postseason, showing his poise under pressure and just being great on the mound. If it wasn't for his relief pitching we may not be looking at a Game 7, maybe not even have won Game 6 either

Marlins/Yanks would be the equivalent of seeing Rocky Balboa get KOd 30 seconds into the first round of his fight with Creed. No thanks.

No way. The Marlins can play with either New York, or Boston. If it's New York it won't be the Yankees winning easily. In fact I think Florida will win the World Series.