TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nanks

What's so bad about Saliva??

Guest Nanks

I've seen them bashed brutally and repeatedly on this site with claims like "they're the worst band in the world". Now, I'm just curious as to what exactly makes them so. I've got Every Six Seconds, and I genuinely enjoy it. I'd go so far as to say I reckon it's awesome. Not trying to imply they're a great band or anything like that. But I find their stuff pretty enjoyable and inoffensive. Anyone care to open my eyes to their apparent shitness??

Guest Random Hero

AoO did a big long post about why they're shit before, but I can't find it.

Personally I liked 'Always' but I think that was partly because it was used as the promo song for the Elimination Chamber at Survivor Series. The last PPV I actually enjoyed.

I think all their songs sound the same, at least I think people have said that, I might be confusing it with another band, I tend to get them mixed up, which in itself might be part of the problem.

I think it's an inoffensive nu-metal band. I wouldn't compare them to some of nu-metal's crappier bands(Trapt, Crazy Town, 12 Stones,etc.) but they're far out of the league of the best nu-metal bands (Which is pretty much Disturbed and no one else)

Guest El Satanico

I don't even consider them "Nu-Metal". I'd put them in pop-rock with bands like Nickleback.

Guest Choken One

I compare them to Def Leppard...Cheesy Pop Rock that's great if you don't pay attention...I've heard they are fun Live shows...

Nu-Metal? I consider them generic Pop-Rock...

Guitars that sound like they do in every Saliva song I've heard, and 'vocals' in the same vein accentuated with the most pedestrian rhythm section trash imaginable mean I just can't listen to them, and would consider paying money to avoid listening to them. I still think Coldplay are the worst band on earth.

Nanks' musical favourites include Saliva, Linkin Park, and Good Charlotte.

Egads! I think that's the worst taste in music on this board. Unless DJ Jeff is still lurking around, he preferred the third rate ripoffs of all those bands.

I can't be bothered with flaming people for taste in music anymore. Well I can, just not now. I'll never understand why people listen to that stuff, and I have very strong feelings about the people who produce it, but if you like it, whatever, we'll never agree on that subject in a million years so let's move on.

Guest Nanks

Good Charlotte is far from being my favourite band. I went to their concert because it was free and I said that they were OK live. Not OK enough for me to even consider getting their album. My favourite bands include Linkin Park, The Offspring, Metallica, Rage Against The Machine & Silverchair. My musical taste isn't so different to many people on this board, I just don't have access to a lot of the good bands I have only had a taste of and liked like Life of Agony & Type O Negative that I have been introduced to by this board.

Furthermore, just as I expected, there have been very little coherent arguments put forward in this thread as to why they're so hated other than the generic, "they're crap nu-metal (which I understood to include an MC & DJ) or they're pop-rock. I don't recognise that as an argument against the band, that's classifying them in an uncool genre that it is required to not like if you are to be considered of good musical taste.

They're generic, run of the mill and just "there" for me. It's not just because the genre they're in is unhip (Which it is) or they're pop-rock (I like a few pop rock bands). They're just a slightly below average band to me. Nothing distinguishes them from any other band of their genre.

Guest Nanks

And that's fine, but I struggle to see how that makes them, as many claim, one of the worst bands in the world. This is the question I have put forward, I am not trying to convince anyone that they're good, I'm simply trying to have someone justify calling them "the worst". To use another heavily maligned band, I would classify Good Charlotte as being far worse than Saliva.

I never called Saliva the worst band in the world. I never even said they were all that bad. As for worst band in the world currently......I'd have to go with Baha Men or one of the third rate nu metal bands (Trapt, Crazy Town, pick or choose any of them).....ick. Actually I know I might get hung by the hairs on my sack, but some death metal could be considered worst music in the world.

If a band is truly the worst in the world, we'd most likely never have heard of them. I'd agree though, that it's probably a death metal group, when death metal is bad, it's really really bad. And I do like it when it's good.

Guest Doyo

Well I can only go by what I've heard and that is "Your Disease" and "Click Click Boom".

Their vocalist can't really rap or sing, but he tries to do both. You got the simple guitar

riffs that repeat over and over and then the simple choruses that get shouted over and

over. CLICK CLICK BOOM ON MY STEREO, CLICK CLICK BOOM, CLICK CLICK BOOM YEAH!!

Furthermore, just as I expected, there have been very little coherent arguments put forward in this thread as to why they're so hated other than the generic, "they're crap nu-metal (which I understood to include an MC & DJ) or they're pop-rock. I don't recognise that as an argument against the band, that's classifying them in an uncool genre that it is required to not like if you are to be considered of good musical taste.

As I said, I just cannot listen to that style of music, whether it be described as pop-rock, nu-metal, romany-skiffle-core or anything else. It's not that they're the worst band ever, but I dislike any band that uses guitars in the way they do (for show more than anything else, with horribly weak distortion) and I can't see they have anything to offer outside the mold that I hate, so I hate them. If you like them, there's nothing I can do about it but those are the reasons why I loathe them as you requested.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I wish I could find the post where I called them the worst band on earth. Trapt is starting to compete with them, though.

Basically, Saliva sucks because they write teenage pedestrian bad poetry, and put it to music that fits said lyrics. I wrote better shit in the band I was in when I was 15, and that's no bullshit. We were more technical, had more in-depth lyrics (even though they sucked), and played a similar kinda drop-d nothing fancy type rock. Not that that really pertains to anything, I just find it amusing.

The real meat of my argument is that Saliva doesn't do anything that a thousand bands do better. Their "I love you, I hate you, I just can't live without you" shit makes me want to absolutely vomit. I can't see how a person who takes themself seriously can actually relate to something that cheesy and vague. Every song is alike in every way, completely innocuous, and devoid of a single natural piece of feeling or talent. Over-produced, over-hyped, and completely and utterly untalented, relative to every other rock band on earth.

Even the worst cheesy gore band on the planet at least has an amusing anecdote or reference to a horror movie or SOMETHING. Saliva is nothing-music.

I don't hate bands like Saliva, Nickelback or Fuel. Don't love them either. Their just there. Good enough to listen to when they come on the radio but don't care enough about them to buy their albums.

Since we're on the subject of bands having labels on them. How come The White Stripes are being called "post modern?" Why not just call them rock? What was considered modern rock anyway? Bands like Creed and Matchbox Twenty?

a better question would be, what's so bad about the velvet underground?

Nothing at all. Why bring it up.

he started a "recommend something to me" thread a while ago. i recommended "venus in furs" and he got righteously pissed off, calling it the most god-awful crap he'd ever heard.

he started a "recommend something to me" thread a while ago. i recommended "venus in furs" and he got righteously pissed off, calling it the most god-awful crap he'd ever heard.

He was right.

Nanks, you can't ask this board about good MUSIC. If you wannt know about good NOISE then ask away.

Guest Nanks

At no stage have I tried to justify in any way that "I'm right" and "you're wrong" over taste in music. That's just what it is, taste, everyone is different. I didn't enjoy Velvet Underground, and at the time I explained just why, I didn't get "righteously pissed off" at all, that's crap. Furthermore, as it pertains to this thread, I have not tried to convince anyone that they're wrong to say they're no good, I can appreciate the opinions that have been put forward by those who have actually done so. I realise Saliva don't produce anything new or artistic, it is brainless rock and that is why I enjoy it occasionally, sometimes I don't want music to be a journey of self-discovery, I just want to switch off. I was, however, trying to defend them from the tag of "Worst Band in the World", which I feel is too harsh.

One question I will put to AoO though, if you wrote better stuff when you were 15, what band are you in and who are you signed on with?? Genuine question, I can only assume given your obvious talent you're not still in your garage and I'd like to hear your stuff.

And once and for all, I don't fucking like Good Charlotte, OK? Really sick of that tag.

One question I will put to AoO though, if you wrote better stuff when you were 15, what band are you in and who are you signed on with?? Genuine question, I can only assume given your obvious talent you're not still in your garage and I'd like to hear your stuff.

By the logic of that implication, I'm a better artist than Van Gogh. He made nothing, at least I got tootsie rolls for my fingerpaintings in kindergarten.

And on that note, did you know that the opera singer who called himself "The Great Caruso" was nowhere near as great as Sammy Hagar, the Red Rocker? So shut up, Caruso!

He was right.

Nanks, you can't ask this board about good MUSIC. If you wannt know about good NOISE then ask away.

You're a Red Sox fan. No wonder you're so naive.

you went on about how bad it was for a good paragraph or two. i remember you saying something to the effect of "nobody ever recommend anything like that to me again." and you played the "different taste" card in quite a backhanded little way, something like "some people like to listen to noisy tripe that doesn't sound like music; i happen to just not like that." i don't feel like digging up the thread, but feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.