TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Redhawk

When did you start disliking HHH?

HHH is not the only one, is certainly not the first and won't be the last worker to play politics. In fact, Austin despite his overness, irks me more than HHH. And it's not like HHH is the only one that refuses to do the j-o-b (see UT, SCSA, HBK).

Taker, HBK, and Austin (to a much lesser extent) are all criticized for backstage politics. What's your point?

They are no where near criticized to the extend HHH is. He deserves all the crap dumped on him, but that doesn't mean the others don't deserve to be dumped on just as much.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

HHH first started to bug me when he built up a face turn for months only to turn heel for the sole purpose of using his booking power to make Austin his little buddy.

But he still was in good matches, he never outright pissed me off untill he came back and won the rumble with like 3 moves.

Oh for the one that asked about the mystical sledgehammer....he got it for the first time in the middle of 99 when he put Foley out of action by hitting him in the knee with it. I think this was pre-KOTR.

I first got into wrestling around 1998, through the WCW video games (I didn't have cable, so I didn't have easy access to it). Then I discovered the existence of WWF Shotgun that was on late nights (I think it was around early 1999 by this point) and I got all swept up in the drama. I didn't get to see the entire Corporate Ministry storyline, just the highlights. And those highlights were among the most exciting television I'd ever seen at the time.

There was a guy mixed in to all of this that I didn't quite notice. To me, he didn't stick out. His name was Triple H.

My first WWF show was the 1998 Summerslam. Triple H faced the Rock in a ladder match, and all I remembered from that night (at that time) was The Rock and Chyna. In fact, I was way too intrigued by Chyna during most of the match to even pay attention (I was like WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING?!?).

From the summer of 1999 until the end of 1999, I was out of touch with what was going on. Somewhere I heard that Triple H had become WWF Champion. My response was: why? There are so much better wrestlers than him!

January 2000 was the happiest time of my life (sort of). We got cable installed and I was finally able to watch wrestling regularly. I watched Smackdown for the first time and I became an instant mark for the new version of Triple H. I loved to hate the guy, and looking back now he was my favorite throughout 2000.

However, I also made another new favorite during that time. His name was Chris Jericho. I wanted Jericho to be on the same level that Triple H was. Needless to say, when HHH beat Jericho at Fully Loaded, I was dissapointed. I was even more dissapointed the following month at SummerSlam. Jericho was back in the same old midcard feud with Chris Benoit, and Triple H was back in the main event. This planted the seeds for my later disliking of Triple H.

Then Triple H went down with a torn quad. What happened while HHH was gone? Chris Jericho became a main eventer. He headlined King of The Ring and Vengeance, and participated in the main events at InVasion and Survivor Series. He also was put in a high profile feud with The Rock, where Jericho won the WCW Championship. Later that year, Chris Jericho became the first Undisputed Champion against The Rock and Steve Austin. I was marking out the whole way.

My disliking of Triple H came when he returned from his injury. If Jericho/HHH was supposed to be the main event at WrestleMania, they should have started the feud early to allow it to build up. Instead, on HHH's first night back, it was Kurt Angle who interrupted the return speech and not Chris Jericho. In fact, if I didn't know any better, I would have told you the main event at 'Mania was going to be Triple H/Kurt Angle seeing as they were feuding up until about 2 weeks before the big show. During this time, nothing good was happening for Jericho. He had a great Royal Rumble match against the Rock but lost his momentum at No Way Out. He faced Austin in a match that had zero hype and only won because the nWo interfered. That same night, Triple H lost all of his momentum by losing to Kurt Angle.

So now the WWF had about four shows left to hype up the main event to WrestleMania. Instead, Jericho and HHH hardly interacted. By this time the main event seemed as if it was going to be Stephanie McMahon, with Jericho in her corner, vs Triple H. Steph and HHH were trading insults while Jericho was walking her dog (could it have been any more obvious that it was Steph writing this shit?).

The next big dissapointment was the HHH/Jericho Wrestlemania match. The crowd wasn't that into it, neither guy was on top of their game that night, and the match was just bland. It didn't help that HHH went over Jericho again. The following month at Backlash, Triple H wrestled in the main event... and Jericho didn't even have a match.

By this point I had a serious disliking of Triple H. I almost got over it though. They were scheduled to meet in a Hell in A Cell at Judgement Day. Maybe i was wrong about the downward spiral of Jericho's career, and this was going to keep him on top! Nope, Triple H won again. This was the turning point.

By this point I didn't give two shits about Triple H.

Guest RollingSambos

For me, it all started when HHH main evented WrestleMania X8 with Jerichrist and gave us a *** snoozer...it was then that I realized that he was a shell of the wrestler that he used to be.

I tolerated his crappy pay-per-view matches pretty well for most of 2002, but the shit really hit the fan in September 2002 when Steph took over the creative team. Now not only did he suck, he was being shoved down our throats because he was banging the head of creative. When he was awarded the world heavyweight title to appease his huge ego, that really pissed me off. And when he came back to interfere in that RVD vs. HBK world heavyweight title match on RAW, I was furious.

Hogpen match vs. Godwinn, December 1995.

Just kidding. I've never really loved the guy, I was always indifferent towards him. When that indifference turned into dislike, it's hard to say. If I had to pick a particular time, I guess I would say it was his feud with Jericho before WM 18.

Guest JMA

When he came back from the quad tear and starting burying other wrestlers. It was like Meltzer was a prophet. Everything he said would happen DID happen. Hunter wasted no time in attempting to bury Angle, RVD, and most of all, Jericho. I didn't want to believe it at first (because Hunter had always been a favorite of mine) but it was painfully obvious.

I liked Triple H in DX, and then didn't like him in that brief phase during the Corporation when he was just kinda there. From when he started using Higher Brain Pattern and when he won the belt, I was the biggest HHH fan that I knew. This continued all the way to the quad tear, and even to the Royal Rumble. But by No Way Out 2002, an event I was at, I realized HHH wasn't the same, and that's when the HHHating commenced.

And when he came back to interfere in that RVD vs. HBK world heavyweight title match on RAW, I was furious.

BINGO for me too. That was my point of no return. HHH could fully recover and put on '****3/4' classics and I could give a damn.

Guest The Real Nosferatu
I don't, and never have, HATED the guy. I first disliked him the moment he won the Royal Rumble 2002 however. I was totally against his going to WrestleMania to defear Jericho.

I don't know if I've EVER wanted someone to eliminate someone else, like I wanted Angle to eliminate HHH that night.

I'd also like to state that I never have really allowed his backstage antics to get in the way of my liking for him. The only reasons I've really disliked him at times is because of the above, and because his skill in the ring went way down after returning from the quad tear.

Exact same for me about the elimination thing...except it goes like this...

Summerslam 2003:

ANYONE eliminate Gold-turd.

- Hated Hunter Hearst Helmsley (Quadruple H!) from 1995-til 1997.

- Started liking him in DX. Never hated him at all except for obvious heel heat hate (Triple H!).

I don't HATE Him now either. I preffer him over most of the RAW roster that sucks. He just needs to take time off to get a refreshed start...and to give others a chance to hold the world title besides Suck-berg.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

To be fair about the HHH/Jericho match at WM X-8, the crowd was dead because they blew themselves out for Hogan/Rock. Hell, even I did. I couldn't care less for HHH/Jericho because I was tired from marking out.

I love how people hate how HHH was a heel walking out as Champ at 2000, but wanted heel jericho to walk out champion at X-8.

The faces should always walk out champion, but I hate when people defend one act but shit on the other in the same situation. Still, that doesn't mean HHH shouldn't put Jericho over, but it's just something that should happen.

Of course, I can't defend his IC Title win in 2001, when in 2002, he said IC wasn't in the same class as him. Talk about Two-Faced.

To be fair about the HHH/Jericho match at WM X-8, the crowd was dead because they blew themselves out for Hogan/Rock. Hell, even I did. I couldn't care less for HHH/Jericho because I was tired from marking out.

I love how people hate how HHH was a heel walking out as Champ at 2000, but wanted heel jericho to walk out champion at X-8.

The faces should always walk out champion, but I hate when people defend one act but shit on the other in the same situation. Still, that doesn't mean HHH shouldn't put Jericho over, but it's just something that should happen.

Of course, I can't defend his IC Title win in 2001, when in 2002, he said IC wasn't in the same class as him. Talk about Two-Faced.

I think more people wanted Jericho to walk out champion because after he was made the fool in the build up for that match no one wanted to see him lose the match because it would have capped off the worst burying ever.

And I do believe no one was into the HHH/Jericho match because it was a foregone conclusion with a horrible build up.

Guest Coffey
Like The Majority OF His Move-Set? You Dont Like Much Then.....Punch,NeckBreaker,Clothesline,Kick,Pedigree.

Here Is A HHH Match Everyone.

*Music Hits*

*Crowd Wooos For Flair And Not HHH BTW*

*Walks*

*Drink Water*

*Throws Water In Crowd*

*Spit Out Water*

*Enter Ring*

*Raises Arms On Buckle*

*Take OFF BELT*

*Punches 50,000 Times*

*Gets Beat Up For 10 Minutes*

*Punches Another 50,000 Times*

*Opponent Goes For Clothesline But Ducks And Do A NeckBreaker*

*Gets Up And Does A Clothesline*

*Swing To Rope,Gets Knocked Down*

*Gets Up And Kick Pedigree*

*1,2,3 And Match Is Over*

*Dammit I 4GOT To Add In When He Get's The Slege Hammer,O Well*

If you didn't type like a ree ree, I might acknowledge this post. Seeing as how I won't read the post the way you randomly capitalize every word however, I'll just leave it be.

Guest Redhawk

I don't think the babyface should always walk out of Wrestlemania as champ. For example, I would have had no problem with The Rock beating Stone Cold at WM15, and I liked Austin winning at WM17 (although, to be fair, that was a face vs. face match up until the end).

However, had Jericho beat HHH at WM18, it would have created a new superstar for WWE.

Starting with the Jericho-Rock feud in late 2001, a star was rising. Jericho was hot after winning the Undisputed Title, and had he.....

1) beat HHH at 'Mania,

2) not been made to look so stupid going into the match, or

3) wrestled somebody who was physically capable of doing a 4-star-plus match that night [benoit, Angle, Austin], he would have shot into that upper echelon.

Jericho didn't have to beat HHH at WM. He could have still lost in a great match with a lot of near-falls and still been the next big supertstar. Instead, HHH killed his momentum that night by beating him in a average match, then made him look like even more of an afterthought (Triple Threat match between Steph, HHH and Jericho) and never looked back.

Now that isn't all HHH's fault, since he's not a writer, but I'm just saying Jericho should have won that match or at least not looked like such a chump pre- and post-match.

I don't know if people hate that he was a heel, but more how he won. The McMahon's took the center stage, to the point where I'd say that it was Vince, not HHH, that went over that night. At least that's how I looked at it.

Jericho needed to win at Wrestlemania because a loss would've made his entire title reign seem like a complete joke, and it also lessens the impact of HHH's title win. Having HHH go over an inferior opponent doesn't do him or the title any favors.

Guest JMA

For what's it worth, at the time I liked Triple H retaining at 'Mania. If only for the sheer shock value. I just don't like the guy NOW.

With WM 18 what it SHOULD been (to make it reasonable / more believable) had HHH and Jericho been in reversed roles.

HHH - The Champion

Y2J - The Challenger

Guest JacK

I started hating him whenever that feud with Jericho started, when he got the title shot off Angle. Mainly because I didn't know who the hell he was (I started watching not long b4 the WCW vs WWE Survivor Series); and that Angle and Jericho were my two favourites, and I wanted to see them go one-on-one at Wrestlemania.

Now, I just hate him because he's boooooooooorrrrrrring. Maybe they should chant that at him instead of Storm.

And also, the lack of match and messed up interference from Jericho at Backlash didn't help, neither did the something like 9 month PPV jobbing streak; even to Flair of all people. Someone who jobbed to RICO not long after beating JERICHO.

It would most likely have to be between Mania X8 and King of the ring 2002. I knew he was a shell of his former self from the lackluster performances he was now putting on, but tried to cling on to a shread of hope that he was still the same man that was my favorite wrestler since i started watching at Royal Rumble 2000. It was tough leting go, havingto admit to myself that my favorite just plain and simply sucked. But thankfully this allowed for me to devolp into a fully fledged Jericho mark, which i don't regret one bit.

Guest Trivia247

it was when he was romantically linked to steph. just to the very fact he went beyond being a wrestler but a virtual heir to the Promotion. giving himself enough power to avoid having to embarass himself by jobbing to people beneth his station or what he considers his station. he use to be a decent wrestler now he is a guy with power.

Guest PowerPB13

Jean-Paul LeVesque vs. Alex Wright, Starrcade '94

-Patrick, who thinks he's kidding but is never sure any more

I don't mind heel Triple H winning at WrestleMania in 2000 (though I did at the time since I was a huge mark) but I didn't think it was the right time for Jericho to lose (because I knew he was going to be buried). The problem with X-8 was that everyone knew HHH was going to win. I would've wanted a surprise!

His win over Booker T at WMXIX, after that even my friends who are only casual watchers said they're tired of seeing him with the belt.

I could add his burial of Jericho at WM17, but with all the hype surrounding his comeback and even without the stupid mutt angle that belt was HHH's to win. Sad to say.

"start disliking"?!

That implies having at some point "liked" him, which most of us haven't.

Actually most people here did like HHH.

He was once like a god....and then he fell from grace as this post demonstrates.

Guest StevieNightHeat

I started disliking Triple H when he joined the Austin/McMahon power trip back in 2001, but that didn't last long because Jericho tore Trip's quad on the Raw announce table.