TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PowerPB13

Why continue to be a fan?

Guest PowerPB13

From taking a good look at the wrestling business...quite frankly, the business is fucked. The only major organization is screwed up beyond belief with no end in sight, and there's no one else even close to competing with them and giving them the motivation to get better.

So if anyone could give me a good reason why I shouldn't just turn around and walk away from an industry that is seemingly on its last legs...indulge me.

-Patrick

Guest Mindless_Aggression

Yeah, she pretty much said it all. If you're honestly sitting there going "Why am I watching this?", just turn the channel.

I salute Canadianchicks apparent quoting of the Distillers for no real reason.

Because something good could always happen at anytime, but then again most likely HHH and Stephanie will run the company into the ground and out of business.

Guest BAR

I stopped watching a while ago. You've always got tapes. Flair/Steamboat, Misawa/Kawada, Dynamite/Sayama, it still works.

I still enjoy wrestling, though my interest in it has been severely waning as of late, i'd say it's only a matter of time before my attention moves fully in the direction of MMA.

Guest PowerPB13

If nothing else, I enjoy NWA-TNA and the indy wrestling around my area, and MLW when I can actually get the VCR set right to watch it.

Watching WWE nowadays(mostly Raw, to a lesser extent Smackdown) often feels like the very life is being drained from my body...I watch to see my favorites in action, even though I know they'll never be pushed the way they deserve to be pushed.

-Patrick

I haven't watched today's product in nearly 8 months. No Way Out was the last full show I watched.

I watch old WWF/WCW tapes at least once a day, though.

Guest T®ITEC

Quit watching and move onto something else as a hobby, if you wish. That's what I've done.

If you feel you need to be convinced to stay a fan, just stop watching. You're wasting your time.

Yep, she's absolutely right.

If you've lost interest enough to need "convincing" in order to stay a fan, then just quit watching.

While I'll admit there's a lot I don't like in the current product, I also fully realize that on the "roller coaster" of wrestling popularity, it always hits its peaks and valleys. And you may not think so, but this "valley" is far less severe than others (we could travel back in time to '95 if you'd like) :-)

So watch if you want to, don't watch if you think it sucks. Me . . . . I'm gonna keep watching, the good usually outweighs the bad, and being a die-hard fan, it's hard for me NOT to pay attention.

Guest Stunt Granny

Yeah, thanks to tapes and DVDs even though I don't watch Raw or Smackdown anymore, I'm still a fan and always will be.

Guest Salacious Crumb

There's still good wrestling out there. You just have to look for it.

This is the first time since 95 that I don't watch wrestling religously. I would never miss Raw, but I find myself not caring as much anymore.

I'll still be a fan, but the product is so bad it is hard to. Plus, I haven't seen any Indy shows advertised for my area, so I can't watch them.

I don't really watch anymore. But at the same time, I always have to know what's going on, incase something decent happens so i can tape the shows later. It's hard to give something up that you've been following for 12 years. Most of the information i get from these boards, and i'll usually go out of the way to watch the big 4 ppv's

Guest TheGame2705

Let's see what killed my interest:

The Austin/Angle weekly turns during the Invasion

The roster split ripped out my interest's spinal cord out Sub-Zero style

HHH getting injured

Brock Lesnar and his push

X-Pac being fired

HHH being gone again

John Cena

What keeps me interested?

Jericho

RVD

HHH's return

TWGTT

A-Train

Sable

Benoit

Eddy Guerrero

Undertaker

Rumors of Randy Orton eating pedigree

Kevin Nash

If you feel you need to be convinced to stay a fan, just stop watching. You're wasting your time.

Yep, she's absolutely right.

If you've lost interest enough to need "convincing" in order to stay a fan, then just quit watching.

While I'll admit there's a lot I don't like in the current product, I also fully realize that on the "roller coaster" of wrestling popularity, it always hits its peaks and valleys. And you may not think so, but this "valley" is far less severe than others (we could travel back in time to '95 if you'd like) :-)

So watch if you want to, don't watch if you think it sucks. Me . . . . I'm gonna keep watching, the good usually outweighs the bad, and being a die-hard fan, it's hard for me NOT to pay attention.

Difference is...in '95 they had competition and a necessity to change. Now Vince has no competition and seems to be quite content where he's at.

The fact that he's blatantly gone in the wrong direction every time he's had one of those "we need to change something" moments lately, tells me that this is worse than back then. Atleast back then you could feel the winds of change coming. Now I feel nothing.

But last night's RAW made me realize that I can get a laugh out of how bad it's become because it's becoming comically bad now.

Guest The Real Nosferatu
When the chips are down, I hit up my old school tape lot.

What's that, Raw already started? Hold on, I have to finish watching the 1987 Survivor Series for the 212th time.

I hear that.

Guest jtronx

Whenever I get depressed about the WWE today I just pop in my tape of Royal Rumble 94 and everything - even Goldberg with the HHH Memorial Big Gold Belt - looks a hell of a lot rosier. At the very least there's Eddy and Chavo tearing it up, Tajiri & Rey, Matt Hardy, and the last few OVW callups (if you want some great wrestling ACTION, get some OVW tapes from the last couple years - Doug Basham v. Chris Benoit from September 2002 is AWESOME, as good as almost any PPV match this year)

Guest PowerPB13

Thankfully I've got GCW, NWA-TNA, MLW, and a few other smaller alternatives...if it weren't for those, then I'd probably have walked away from wrestling a long, long time ago.

I can only hope that SOMETHING happens soon to sway WWE's mindset...whether it's NWA-TNA getting a TV deal or simply a drastic drop in WWE's business...

Back in 1996-7, it took WCW's surge, the NWO angle, and Vince Russo having the balls to tell Vince McMahon "your product sucks" to convince Vince that something needed to be changed. Nowadays, Vince surrounds himself with yes-men and there's no legitimate competition out there...I hate to say it, but maybe Hulk Hogan is the attention-getter that NWA-TNA needs to get noticed.

-Patrick

http://www.gatewaywrestling.com/

http://members.aol.com/PowerPB13/gcwpics.htm

gcwagg08.jpg

Guest Deviant

Reaon to watch current wrestling = Ring of Honor.

And to a lesser extent, the good parts of Smackdown. And TNA and some other indies. And puro if you know what you're looking for, which I don't.