TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

Do You Wish To Write for TSM?

Guest TSMAdmin

aw yes, the dreaded feedback problem. this was one of the reasons bower said he quit 411. his hits were 3-4 times more than any of ours and he could only get 15 responses? to be honest, i just think the way the industry is structured right now makes it difficult for anyone associated with wrestling. People like SK are lucky to have been around when the wrestling boom and wrestleline were around. now they feed off past glories so to speak.

I get feedback, but maybe 5% is actually worth a damn.

I was going to save it for this week's recap, but here's an e-mail I got regarding Jackie's segment. This is un-edited:

Yo Dude, Why You Calling Jackie Ugly In The WWE Confidental Thingy??? Is It

A Rush Limbaugh Charge Just Cus She's Black???? If It Is, That Ani't Right

Dawg.

"Big Pimp" Mathew R.

I'm sorry, this was just too funny the first time I read that.

That's the last time I send you feedback.

I've always wanted to write something for the site, except I'm until the 19th with stuff for my play.

I could do Sunday Night Heat or Velocity, but Raw for me would have to wait until the 20th. I could do either three of the shows, though.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

I tried recapping RAW once on an old message board, until I realized the only way I could make it the whole 2 hrs. every week is with a 6 pack of Coors and some mind altering drugs...

I wouldn't be surprised if someone posted the same Raw recap too weeks in a row and 90% of the readers wouldn't know it was the same.

To all the people who said they would read a Velocity recap...where were you when I actually had the time to write one?  I asked for feedback a couple of times and got zilch.

People get way too discouraged by the lack of feedback. Around 3000 - 4500 people read my TNA reports every week (if you add in all of the other sites I write for). I get anywhere from 0-10 e-mails a week. That's it.

Dames

Eh, the email wasn't the problem. Hell, I turned it into a bit of a running gag. When I post threads that basically ask, "Hey, guys, could you look at this and tell me what you think?", and get zero replies, though, it kind of says something not very good.

aw yes, the dreaded feedback problem. this was one of the reasons bower said he quit 411. his hits were 3-4 times more than any of ours and he could only get 15 responses? to be honest, i just think the way the industry is structured right now makes it difficult for anyone associated with wrestling. People like SK are lucky to have been around when the wrestling boom and wrestleline were around. now they feed off past glories so to speak.

There's the truth, kids.

If you write for a website, no matter if it's a wrestling/pop culture site or not, you'll get thousands of readers (potentially) and precious little feedback. When my Smackdown! reports were at TSM and LOP, I got about 5000-6000 readers each week. In a typical week, I'd get 2-10 emails. The other discouraging thing for new writers is a lot of the email you get at first is people telling you that you suck. That kind of silly shit can't bother you, though. You're writing a pro bono column for a niche website: take neither it nor yourself too seriously. Eventually, the people who shouted you down will either stop reading or be won over by your consistent production. When I ended my SD gig in May, I got at least fifty emails (mostly from LOP readers), and all of them were basically of the "thanks for your work, bon voyage" variety. Some were even from people who were wanting me to quit and contract a wasting disease a few months previous. Basically, not many people will be inclined to write a feedback email, and a lot of those who do are the grandstanding AOLosers whose sentiments consist of "u suck dood."

Writing for free is its own reward. If you go in expecting something else out of it, you're bound to be disappointed.

Guest Retro Rob

I used to get one e-mail per Confidential review. Personally, I could have done without a number of them. The Booking Report which was read by about 800 people each week could bring in anywhere from 1 to 6 e-mails. It seems like most of the people who post here only give feedback if you ask for it in the WWE folder. That being said, most of my feedback came from readers that only visited TSM for the articles, most being LOP regulars.

Guest evenflowDDT

Regarding feedback, I only got a couple for Velocity when I made glaring errors (ha, bet nobody remembers back when I did Velocity!), and...ummm...well, the only movie column I ever got feedback on was T3. And I admit that's part of the reason I've allowed my responsibility to slide. That and nobody goes to a wrestling site for Pop Culture anyway.

Anyway, good luck to all prospective writers.

Regarding feedback, I only got a couple for Velocity when I made glaring errors (ha, bet nobody remembers back when I did Velocity!)

Hey, I remember. Mainly because I made a correction/clarification, and got mentioned in the report.

If I had half an ounce of ambition and the show was open, Id do Smackdown recaps. They could be up before Smackdown even airs (not that you'd probably want to put them up early..). It would give me something fun to do while sitting up on nights like tonight watching it.

Well, I was thinkin about recapping RAW, but that seems to be somewhat liked. I think that I will try my hand at the enviable job of Stevie Night Heat. Hear me out...Someone wish me luck cuz I will sure as hell will need it.

B-)

Guest TSMAdmin
And I admit that's part of the reason I've allowed my responsibility to slide. That and nobody goes to a wrestling site for Pop Culture anyway.

Anyway, good luck to all prospective writers.

You're right. This is a sad reality when it comes to doing movie reviews and other pop culture items. I read it because I have a personal interest in the opinions of others but many don't give a rats ass what a wrestling fan thinks of any particular film. Honestly, to this day, I check out the wrestling and toys portions of 411. That's it. When SK reviews some shitty film, I ignore it.

This depresses me even more. At our site, our pop culture guys turn out better reviews than most credible mainstream outlets but they don't get the exposure. Jay, Polk, Tom for awhile, Flow and the others deserve better treatment dammit!!!!1

Guest DVD Spree
Jay, Polk, Tom for awhile, Flow and the others deserve better treatment dammit!!!!1

Well, Scotsman reads my stuff religiously, so that's good enough for me.

Guest DVD Spree

I meant to say thanks for the props, too.

We all know that the Pop Culture stuff isn't a draw in itslef, but it's stuff that people will read if they're visiting the site anyway - thus, I try to tailor my stuff to niche reviews like import videogames, Region 2 DVDs, and things that generally won't get much coverage elsewhere. I honestly believe that my reviews of wrestling games are the only ones worth a damn, because nobody else puts them all in context of each other (or rather, No Mercy), and sites like IGN have taken to just getting non-wrestling fans to review them. But anyway:

Pop Culture - leeching heat from columns that draw.

Jay, Polk, Tom for awhile, Flow and the others deserve better treatment dammit!!!!1

What's this "for a while" shit? :P

I still do the NFL Report each week, and while I am doing movies and DVDs for 411, it doesn't mean I'm never going to do another review for TSM.

Guest The Last Free Voice

I'll do MLW recaps as long as it comes on FSNPAC or ATL or whatever, if you want.

I'd still be willing to do a Heat report if nobody else is going to do it. Writing for TSM is something I've wanted to do for a while, and I think it'd be benefitial to me since I'm going into journalism next year at college.

Unfortunately, my VCR is throwing one of it's fits again, and it didn't record the first half of the show (I was at soccer practice and didn't get out until 7:25). :angry:

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

I guess I'll chime in with the feedback question:

I get anywhere between 2-5 emails per review, along about 5 reply posts from the various fan boards (CZW's, Wildside's, IWS') the review is posted at. I have no clue what my hit count is.

As for the quality of the feedback- I've gotten some from various indy wrestlers/personalities, all the way up to some WWE staff, so it's definitely worth it to write for the site.

I guess I'll chime in with the feedback question:

I get anywhere between 2-5 emails per review, along about 5 reply posts from the various fan boards (CZW's, Wildside's, IWS') the review is posted at. I have no clue what my hit count is.

As for the quality of the feedback- I've gotten some from various indy wrestlers/personalities, all the way up to some WWE staff, so it's definitely worth it to write for the site.

Hm... We'll see what I can cook up then... Won't be too funny or that, but I'll see what I can do.

After all, getting reviews stuffy from various people would be nice. Besides, I gotta get my writing groove back on somehow.

All I need is one, but if you feel that you could improve on the previous sample, I'll accept others. This goes for everyone.

Dames