TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Salacious Crumb

Rant of sorts

Guest Salacious Crumb

Seriously is it possible for them not to fuck up every big game these days.

We have the Browns fiascos from the 01 and 02 seasons.

Selective enforcement of rules.

The GB/Minn Sunday night game last season.

The coin flip.

The Ahman Green fumble against Buffalo last season.

Actually come to think of it Lunkhead is responsible for most of those games.

But it still stands, other than baseball umps in the late 90s I've never seen the officials so consistently effect the outcomes of games with stupid calls.

Anyone else have any examples I'm forgetting from the last few seasons.

"Leaping" springs to mind. There's also the non-catch in the 99/2000 NFC championship, which, while technically the correct call, was so ridiculous that the NFL actually changed the rule altogether during the ensuing offseason.

I don't think you can call the refs bad for making correct calls. You could call them bad for not making the right call all the time though.

Guest Salacious Crumb

The only one I'll call horrible is Lunkhead. He seems to have been involved in all the really awful calls over the last 5 yrs.

Guest El Satanico

Bad judgment on calls is what we should bitch about, because them making a mistake on calls isn't unforgivable.

That leaping call last night was a product of bad judgment.

remember the Jets Seahawks game like 4 years ago, as Testerverde was stoped at the one, but the helmet resembled the ball and was considered a touchdown...

such an awful awful call.

My gripe tends to be with the rules themselves as much as the officials anymore. if I ever see another "running into the kicker" call when the kicker either lands on the defender or stumbles into the defender I'm going to pull my hair out.

The only call I would bitch about to this day is the "Steelers-Lions Thanksgiving coin flip affair." Jerome Bettis said HEADS, DAMNIT!

Ref: It's heads. Detroit do you want to kick or receive?

Guest Redhawk

Can you refresh my memory on the Browns 01-02 calls and the GB/Minn game last year.

And I know we all bitch about bad calls, but sometimes the refs have to make some REALLY tough calls: Franco Harris' Immaculate Reception and the Titans' Music City Miracle come to mind.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Browns:

1. Against the Jags at the end of the 01 season. Browns had a catch and then spiked the ball. The refs go back and review the catch even though NFL rules clearly state that you can't review a play after another's been run.

2. Opener of 02 they call Rudd for taking his helmet off on the field and the Browns lose the game. Now normally I wouldn't complain but I've seen at least 20 players do it since and not a single one was called.

GB/Minn:

Packers come back on Sunday night and the refs later admit to blowing something like 20 calls during the course of the game.

Browns:

1. Against the Jags at the end of the 01 season. Browns had a catch and then spiked the ball. The refs go back and review the catch even though NFL rules clearly state that you can't review a play after another's been run.

I still can't believe the refs took the ball away from the Browns. You'd think the refs would look at, think to themselves "We shouldn't even be looking at this," come back on the field and say there is not enough evidence to change the call. Besides, everyone thought they were reviewing the spike since Couch mini-pump faked and then spiked which would be grounding.

I'm done now.