TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

Transformers Season 3

Anyone planning to pick this up? I still have to get both parts of Season 2 (why are they seperate parts anway?). IIRC, Season 3 leads up to the movie correct?

Anyone planning to pick this up? I still have to get both parts of Season 2 (why are they seperate parts anway?). IIRC, Season 3 leads up to the movie correct?

Season 3 either leads up to or wraps around the movie, I can't remember exactly.

Anyways, it comes out next week, and since I was doing some research on it earlier today, here are some prices I found online (all with free shipping):

Best Buy: $39.99+tax

Circuit Shitty: $39.99+tax

Amazon.com: $34.96

DeepDiscountDVD.com: $29.90 (note, this may be a typo on my part)

(edit) Nope, that wasn't a typo. Check it out here

1. Rhino stated that the alternative to two sets per season at $60 each would be to charge $150 per seasons if they released Season 2 and 3 as one big box set each.

2. Season 3 is set immeadiately after the Movie. The cartoon never gave the movie any real build-up, as they just magically skipped ahead 20 years after Season 2

Really? So there's no episode where the Decipticons reclaim Cybertron???

The closest thing to an episode that fills the gap between Season 2 and the Movie was the Japanese produced Transformers special "Scramble City" which was only released in Japan.

And even "Scramble City" didn't show much, as it only addressed why the hell the Constructicons were the only Gesalt team around in TFTM...

And even "Scramble City" didn't show much, as it only addressed why the hell the Constructicons were the only Gesalt team around in TFTM...

and why was that?

and why was that?

Before the Decepticon's launched their suprise attack on Autobot City in TFTM, they had sent the Stunticons and the Combaticons to attack Autobot City. The Autobot Gesalt teams (the Aerialbots and the Protectobots) were there to stop them and that by the end of the battle all four teams were badly damaged, hence them not being in the TFTM...

Guest Adrian 3:16
Really? So there's no episode where the Decipticons reclaim Cybertron???

Not really. But by the time the Transformers on Earth woke up in 1984, most of the remaining Autobots were either killed or driven off the planet. So the Decepticons were already essentially running things, although they were almost out of energy themselves.

But by 2005 when the movie takes place Cybertron was thriving and firmly under Decepticon control, thanks to Megatron stealing all that energy from Earth. If it wasn't for Unicron nearly wiping the Decepticons out the Autobots would've probably never been able to re-take control on Cybertron.

On a side note, are the older (Season 1 and Season 2 A and B) sets any good in terms of production, extras, etc.?

I've considered buying them, but given my minor income, I want to make sure that any purchase of media items (where refunds are verboten and sellbacks are shit) is worthwhile before investing in it.

The season sets have been remastered, so the colour is MUCH better, however any production errors (and there are a shitload of them) have been left in. Not too many extras, either.

Actually, the reason why there was only Devastator in the movie is because it was written prior to the episodes that introduced any of the other Gestalts...guess they didn't feel like going back and re-writing...notice how terrified Kup was when Devastator made his first appearance in the movie, if the Aerialbots were around he probably wouldn't care...

anyway, season 3 was pretty bad production wise, but what I dug the most was how Galvatron spent the whole season struggling with personality defects, considering he was once Megatron. kinda of a neat, unique subplot, IMO...my main qualm, like most TransFans, was that Rodimus was a big whiney pussy that couldn't handle being the leader...

IMO...my main qualm, like most TransFans, was that Rodimus was a big whiney pussy that couldn't handle being the leader...

It probably didn't help that Ultra Magnus was a wuss as well...

Just to expand on what was said: The Movie was written during season 1, which is why you don't see many season 2 TFs in it.

A lot of people hate season 3 as a major step down in writing, but the fans that defend it think that it is the darker, more psychological Transformers--the episodes just couldn't return to the happy-go-lucky days after the violent deaths witnessed in the movie, and the major struggles include Rodimus' feeling inadaquate with big shoes to fill and Galvatron's slow decent into insanity.

Does anyone know if there are plans to put "Rebirth" and "Headmasters" in DVD format with subtitles? I own Headmasters on VHS and it's probably the single best Transformers season ever conceived.

Guest Ram

Rebirth is the official unofficial Season 4. It's been released on DVD before (Heroes, I think), but will be released again along with Season 3 part 2. (Also, there's no reason for it to be released with subtitles as it WAS shown in the US some time ago.)

Picture: http://www.tfclub.com/tffans/rom/200310110...10005_10321.jpg

Also, recently Rhino had a poll up for what they should release (amongst these were the old MoTU show, the old TMNT show), but I do believe Headmasters was one of the choices. So we could be seeing a subtitled edition DVD over here (if not redubbed).

Rebirth is the official unofficial Season 4. It's been released on DVD before (Heroes, I think), but will be released again along with Season 3 part 2. (Also, there's no reason for it to be released with subtitles as it WAS shown in the US some time ago.)

Also, recently Rhino had a poll up for what they should release (amongst these were the old MoTU show, the old TMNT show), but I do believe Headmasters was one of the choices. So we could be seeing a subtitled edition DVD over here (if not redubbed).

Sorry, I should have clarified that "Headmasters" would need subtitles and not "Rebirth." I already own both seasons but having them on DVD would be nice. I'm curious to know how Rebirth can be considered an entire season considering it's only three episodes though.

Also, one hopes for a subtitled version of Headmasters. If the dubbed version is anything like the dubbed version of Transformers: Masterforce then I'll kill myself. Those English dubbed (I think in Hong Kong) versions of Headmasters, Master Force and Victory are horrible and should never be allowed to reach the general populace.

Guest Ram
Rebirth is the official unofficial Season 4.  It's been released on DVD  before (Heroes, I think), but will be released again along with Season 3 part 2.  (Also, there's no reason for it to be released with subtitles as it WAS shown in the US some time ago.)

Also, recently Rhino had a poll up for what they should release (amongst these were the old MoTU show, the old TMNT show), but I do believe Headmasters was one of the choices.  So we could be seeing a subtitled edition DVD over here (if not redubbed).

Sorry, I should have clarified that "Headmasters" would need subtitles and not "Rebirth." I already own both seasons but having them on DVD would be nice. I'm curious to know how Rebirth can be considered an entire season considering it's only three episodes though.

No idea why, but I guess it has to do with the original scheduling. It may have been intended to be the beginning of the fourth season, but only the three episodes were done.