TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Use Your Illusion

Hogan to likely finish his career in NJPW..

chonohogan101203.jpg

Hulk Hogan made a startling suggestion at the pre-Tokyo Dome press conference earlier, suggesting that his dream clash with Masahiro Chono be virtually a retirement match. Hogan said after 25 years of wrestling around the world, New Japan was his still wrestling home (New Japan is where he was first able to break out and make a name for himself). Hogan said that he wants to win the IWGP Heavyweight Title, and the IWGP founder (back when it was a G1 Climax-esque tournament) revealed that he wants to first defeat the symbol of New Japan, Chono, then challenge whoever the IWGP Heavyweight Champion is soon. Hogan elaborated on why he considers New Japan to be home, saying he had chosen it as his "place of fighting", just like Stan Hansen did with All Japan. Hogan said that if Chono books appealing matches for him, he would like to have a retirement countdown in New Japan and finish his career there. His final dream before calling it a day though, is to win the IWGP Heavyweight Title, and then have a match "in the 80s style" with Inoki. Hogan intends to show the difference in rank between he and Chono, and plans to raise his Japanese notability again by KO'ing Chono with the deadly Axe Bomber, just like he did to Inoki two decades ago.

Chono revealed that losing to Hogan would not matter to him, given Hogan's status, but that he wouldn't go down. Chono said the show has many VT themed matches, but his true professional wrestling match with Hogan is what would make it a success. Chono told fans to show their colours, literally, by either supporting him and wearing black, or supporting Hogan and wearing yellow. Chono admitted that after doing so much in his career, he had been growing bored, but the match with Hogan had made him excited again. Chono said he wants New Japan to give Hogan the true "oldster" treatment and respect, with lots of attention. "Mr. Japan" and "Mr. America" finally went face to face, and Hogan shouted, "HOGAN, ICHIBAN! CHONO-SAN, NIBAN! AXE BOMBER!". Later today, these two titans meet for the first time ever, in a dream summit. A reminder, you'll be able to follow the show here in real-time from 3pm Japanese time (2am EST, 11pm PST, 7am GMT), with information from the live PPV broadcast, eyewitness reports, etc.

From Strong Style Spirit

UYI

EDIT: Question - The Axe Bomber is an elbow to the face, is it not?

Guest Choken One

I'm confused...He has a deal with TNA and wants to wrestle with Chono and then he'll come back for Mania XX?

Busy Fucker...

Perhaps TNA can get involved here...

For the right price, Hogan's anyones man and he's practically a bottomless pit in terms of nostalgic appeal and initial draw power.

Notice Hogan said if Chono books appealing matches for him, he would like to have a retirement countdown in New Japan. What Hogan considers appealing is probably unrealistic for everyone else.

UYI

Guest Choken One

Although in Japan, He hasn't had his Nostalgia Trip so that means more money...

EDIT: Question - The Axe Bomber is an elbow to the face, is it not?

I believe it's a clothesline with the elbow bent at a 90-degree angle.

I always thought it was something similar to the "bionic forearm" shot that Lex Luger did during his "Lex Express" run.

The big dream match:

The semi final was the big dream match, and was considered by many to be a show-saver. Two of the most charismatic and popular wrestlers in history, Masahiro Chono and "Superman" Hulk Hogan, met for the first time ever. After sitting quietly for much of the show, the Tokyo Dome boiled when the two entered, and were very excited. Hogan worked hard, and attacked Chono's injured knee for a while. It was an even match, with both men pulling out everything. Hogan survived Chono's STF (there were "Hogan! Hogan! Hogan!" chants while he was in it), but Chono survived Hogan's guillotine drop (legdrop). The most exciting moment of the match saw a flashback to twenty years ago, when Hogan sent Chono (now in the place of his mentor, Inoki) flying off the apron with an Axe Bomber. Chono didn't fall into unconsciousness like Inoki did, and fought on. After his patented "Hulk Up", Hogan sunk Chono with an Axe Bomber. Feedback was overwhelmingly positive for the match, and everyone seemed to love it. Reports ranged from "It gave me goosebumps!" to "It exceeded Hogan vs. Rock!". Nothing has been said about the unofficial stipulation of Hogan getting matchmaking power, so we'll have to wait and see.

Guest Boo_Bradley

In all seriousness , I'm intrigued by what a Japan Motivated 50 year old Hogan can do

/Huge HULK mark...

The big dream match:

The semi final was the big dream match, and was considered by many to be a show-saver. Two of the most charismatic and popular wrestlers in history, Masahiro Chono and "Superman" Hulk Hogan, met for the first time ever. After sitting quietly for much of the show, the Tokyo Dome boiled when the two entered, and were very excited. Hogan worked hard, and attacked Chono's injured knee for a while. It was an even match, with both men pulling out everything. Hogan survived Chono's STF (there were "Hogan! Hogan! Hogan!" chants while he was in it), but Chono survived Hogan's guillotine drop (legdrop). The most exciting moment of the match saw a flashback to twenty years ago, when Hogan sent Chono (now in the place of his mentor, Inoki) flying off the apron with an Axe Bomber. Chono didn't fall into unconsciousness like Inoki did, and fought on. After his patented "Hulk Up", Hogan sunk Chono with an Axe Bomber. Feedback was overwhelmingly positive for the match, and everyone seemed to love it. Reports ranged from "It gave me goosebumps!" to "It exceeded Hogan vs. Rock!". Nothing has been said about the unofficial stipulation of Hogan getting matchmaking power, so we'll have to wait and see.

SHOCKING~!

Hogan always broke out the working boots in Japan, which always leads me to ask, why the hell he could so rarely do it over here.

Hogan's appeal in the USA is different. Although he is viewed as a "Superman" of sorts in Japan, the Japanese audience would not stand for a 7-10 minute match with him hulking up at the end. Hogan is smart enough to change up when he goes to Japan. The majority of US fans don't want to see Hogan doing drop toe holds into cross arm breakers and such. They want to see the showmanship part. In Japan, that act would wear out quickly. I am interested in seeing how Hogan worked with Chono. I have tapes of Hogan vs Muta and Fujinami and while they weren't the best matches, they are way different than the usual Hogan/USA formula.

Twenty fucking minutes? Shite.

Didn't Chono say he'd hand over control of NJPW to Hogan if he lost the match!?

Yes.

After reading through the TNA angle at the press conference I think I see how they are going to deal with that:

"Masahiro Chono, Hogan's opponent at the Dome, revived a bloodied Hogan. Chono stated that he would help Hogan in his feud with Jarrett, although that may have been said specifically for the Japanese media and was not planned as part of the NWA TNA angle.

New Japan announced there would be a "meeting" to resolve the matter of the Hulk Hogan/Masahiro Chono matchmaker situation coming out of their Dome show match. "

-1wrestling

I think they're going to say that Hogan has to go to the US to take care of his problem with Jarrett and he'll just leave Chono in charge until they can pick the angle back up later.

Shit, now I want this card.

The majority of US fans don't want to see Hogan doing drop toe holds into cross arm breakers and such.

I was watching an old Clash of the Champions over the summer that had Hogan vs. Flair.

Hogan actually pulled out a drop-toe-hold into a cross arm breaker on Flair, and I fell OUT OF MY MOTHERFUCKING CHAIR.

Shit, now I want this card.

The majority of US fans don't want to see Hogan doing drop toe holds into cross arm breakers and such.

I was watching an old Clash of the Champions over the summer that had Hogan vs. Flair.

Hogan actually pulled out a drop-toe-hold into a cross arm breaker on Flair, and I fell OUT OF MY MOTHERFUCKING CHAIR.

I saw that. But NOTHING shocked me as much as Hogan/Muta:

HOGAN DID A F'N ENZIGURI!!!!!!

Guest RickyChosyu

Use Your Illusion, the source of your quote might be something to think about. Stuart is often thought of as being extremely pro-New Japan, and tends to sing their praises while others are tearing them appart. I thought it might be interesting to see what others (who tend to be more critical of New Japan) were saying about the match before it even happened:

Like how it failed to mention how badly the sure-fire "Dream Match" did in the box office. From the LAW:

Surprisingly, ticket sales have been lagging for the October 13th Tokyo Dome with Hulk Hogan taking on Masahiro Chono. New Japan has brought Bob Sapp into the show to boost sales.

... and from Puroresu Power:

In a last-minute attempt to try to get ticket sales going for their 10/13 Tokyo Dome show, Masa Chono said that if he loses to Hulk Hogan, he will give up his spot as the company's matchmaker and executive. Final word going into their 10/13 Tokyo Dome show for attendance is that they better pray for a major walk-up or else they aren't going to pack the building. Free tickets have been given out to certain businesses and schools for people to pick up so they can go to the show at no charge.

The one thing we're sure about, the attendance was very bad for this show. An op-ed coming in the next two days on the issue of promotions handing out free tickets for big shows coming up.

The promotion kept floating around a figure of 50,000 at the Dome, but nobody bought into it.

Not trying to say the match wasn't any good, just that the "Hogan hit one out of the park again" attitude Stuart presented there might be a bit misleading. Crowd heat is nice, but not if most of the crowd is dressed up as empty seats.

Edited by RickyChosyu

Crowd was way down (early estimate 35,000), and even though this sounds like an excuse, the weather had a great deal to do with it as it was so bad the trains were shut down. Probably 95% of the crowd comes through public transpiration, and New Japan Dome shows are known for huge walk-ups. Hogan and Sapp's appearances (first Hogan appearance in Japan in almost ten years) saved the show, which was considered bad up to that point.

-Meltzer

Twenty fucking minutes? Shite.

Didn't Chono say he'd hand over control of NJPW to Hogan if he lost the match!?

Yes.

After reading through the TNA angle at the press conference I think I see how they are going to deal with that:

"Masahiro Chono, Hogan's opponent at the Dome, revived a bloodied Hogan. Chono stated that he would help Hogan in his feud with Jarrett, although that may have been said specifically for the Japanese media and was not planned as part of the NWA TNA angle.

New Japan announced there would be a "meeting" to resolve the matter of the Hulk Hogan/Masahiro Chono matchmaker situation coming out of their Dome show match. "

-1wrestling

I think they're going to say that Hogan has to go to the US to take care of his problem with Jarrett and he'll just leave Chono in charge until they can pick the angle back up later.

If anything is good for TNA business, it is THAT.

Talk about heavy anticipation.

UYI

Guest Black Tiger

UYI, The Tokyo Dome can hold well over 65,000 and NJPW has had no trouble packing it on many occasions. Unfortunatly they haven't been able to do it too often in the last few years. I think the last time was for the big Kawada vs Sasaki show in October of 2000. I can't remember if it was the 8th or the 9th

Here are some pictures regarding the JJ incident with Hogan & Chono:

pict12.jpg

Hogan making a post-match statement

pict13.jpg

Jarrett attacks

pict14.jpg

Hogan left a bloody mess

I smell money

UYI

EDIT:

From the Torch

Hulk Hogan reportedly told the Japanese media that he wants to retire in New Japan, and at the very moment, a WrestleMania XX appearance is out of the question.

Guest RickyChosyu
I smell money

That depends on what you mean by money. Reports from 1wrestling said that TNA management wants to build off of the Hogan/Jeffy WCW title match at Bash at the Beach 2000, which had that "controversial" finish and Russo "shooting" on Hogan. The buyrate for that pay per view (from tOA Buyrate History,): 0.22

That was over three years ago, on a company that (at the very least) had a free weekly TV show. Does anyone honestly think this match is going to draw fan interest when it couldn't three years ago?

What's also ironic is that Hogan said he wanted to go to America to win the NWA title, but instead of NWA Champion AJ Styles attacking him, we get the owner's son. Not only that, but they plan to bring back an angle that, if they follow through with it, has to end in a Russo/Hogan match. What's better for business, helping the booker and the owner's son, or helping the champion? It's obvious what the brain trust at TNA think.