TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

What's the Point?

Spare the rod and spoil the child. Conflict draws out truth. Compromise and coddling muddy it, and create flabby, lazy minds.

And intellectual discourse breeds knowledge and new ideas. There's not much positive reinforcement for somebody who's trying to sift through fiery insults in search of the truth.

Well, the thread is there. The page is there. I glanced at it earlier. The reduction in post count that you're seeing is due to a board error a while ago; posts from a few months were removed from the post count, but the actual posts still exist.

Odd. They come up that way but, for some reason, they don't come up whenever I try to search for all my prior posts. My guess is that the "personal post" search engine is limited to posts within the last thirty days.

*shrugs*

*flames*

Edited by The Man in Blak

And intellectual discourse breeds knowledge and new ideas.  There's not much positive reinforcement for somebody who's trying to sift through fiery insults in search of the truth.

Negative reinforcement per se is more effective, and indirectly makes rare positive reinforcement more effective as well.

They come up that way but, for some reason, they don't come up whenever I try to search for all my prior posts.

Right. Except for a few posters, for reasons unknown, posts no longer come up as posts by the poster who posted them if the poster who posted them posted them prior to the error. <glances back at that sentence and considers its syntatical similarity to the age-old question "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?">

<shrugs>

<flames back>

Negative reinforcement per se is more effective, and indirectly makes rare positive reinforcement more effective as well.

Not quite. Positive reinforcement maximizes the possible potential performance, while negative reinforcement garners just enough to get by (i.e. just enough to avoid an unwanted consequence).

Plus, mixing reinforcement techniques distorts the recipient's process for motivation.

*throws psychology textbook back in the laundry pile*

*edits post late again to carefully add in subliminal condescending remarks*

There was no way out of the quandary. Your eyes moistened with tears of frustration at the unfairness of it all. Your lower lip began to quiver and your chin wobbled. Your knuckles whitened and a sob rose in your aching throat. But wait! Out of the darkness, competing with the glow of the computer screen, a light bulb began to flicker dimly over your head.

Okay, this part has me in stitches.

And maybe it's because I'm a nerd, but wtf is WDI? I keep thinking "Walt Disney Imagineering," which makes it kind of funny but obviously isn't the right answer.

Guest TheGame2705
There was no way out of the quandary. Your eyes moistened with tears of frustration at the unfairness of it all. Your lower lip began to quiver and your chin wobbled. Your knuckles whitened and a sob rose in your aching throat. But wait! Out of the darkness, competing with the glow of the computer screen, a light bulb began to flicker dimly over your head.

Okay, this part has me in stitches.

And maybe it's because I'm a nerd, but wtf is WDI? I keep thinking "Walt Disney Imagineering," which makes it kind of funny but obviously isn't the right answer.

You're better off not knowing.

Positive reinforcement maximizes the possible potential performance, while negative reinforcement garners just enough to get by (i.e. just enough to avoid an unwanted consequence).

It's pattern-dependent; wait until you get into group psych. (Unless you're finished.) If both positive and negative reinforcement have the same basic character then social comparison ensures that the value of any reward for one individual will be reinforced by deprivation and public embarrassment for others.

Plus, mixing reinforcement techniques distorts the recipient's process for motivation.

Not always. Consistency is the key. It's like setting up an echo or a reverberation; both striking the bell and letting the metal vibrate on its own for a while add to the resulting volume. You just have to time it properly.

<leaves psychology textbooks on floor, knowing that wifey will pick them up later>

<notes condescending remarks; comes back with withering expose and many crushing rejoinders>

Guest HoffmanHHH

'Twas I, who bought the hot dogs. And I'd do it again.

Anyway, everyone's got to remember that every board has something different to offer, and you've got to find the one(s) you enjoy and stick with them. DD, you may have a point man, but you're not going to change the flow of the river by your lonesome. Just stick to posting in the threads you enjoy, ignore the rest (take it from a guy who FINALLY got the hang of it), and take solace over at SNKT. Live and let live.

Guest SP-1
Can't we all just have a rumble?

Fair enough.

*SPEARS~! Kotz*

*OFFICE~! Beltshot to Alfdogg!*

Guest cosbywasmurdered
I rarely start threads around the board anymore and especially try and steer clear of even posting in this folder,

When have you ever made a thread NOT about dissing the board? I seem to recall you doing it all the time. You've been doing it for years. Even before Dames took over the board. That's like TWO years. That's sadder than a Yuna/IDRM cyber transcript.

What's the point of all this?  Posting is one thing, as you can discuss, learn, and enjoy yourself (if you look in the right places), but I can't help but think about how much time is wasted by so many people by getting involved in these petty flame wars that eventually build into 10-page, 200-posts threads

There is no point. Essentially we are just wasting our time. And if you don't like it why don't you take your ass over to your pesudo-intellectual elitist "Fuck TSM and WDI we're way cooler" "Sanctuary".

, but what about this bickering at each other and typing up these mega-responses to people we supposedly care nothing about?  I know I tend to get into these things myself, but never to the extent that others have.

Ha. You're the one with a multiple paragraph post blasting people for talking about what they want to talk about. And you haven't done this once or twice, you do it all the time.

What's been settled after all these posts have been amounted, after all these hours have been invested into arguing with a group of strangers over not something of any use, but over something petty.

Petty? Like bitching about not liking a folder you supposedly don't even post in. Stop bitching and stay out of the forum if you do not like it. I don't like elitist pricks so I stay out of the Pouruso folder. I don't like hearing people make up fake storys about their supposed sexual adventures so I stay out of LSD too.

Some may call me a hypocrite for saying these things, considering my tendencies in the past to get involved in similar petty disputes.  They may say it's ironic that I talk about what a waste of time threads like that are when I'm probably starting another one of them with this initial post.  But I guess that's the "risk" I'll take in trying to find out not only if anyone sees no point in such a thing, but maybe a valid reason as to why people feel the need to involve themselves in such garbage. 

You're right. You are a hypocrite. I always have previously respected you as a poster (disagreed with you on many things but respected you.) but this little drama is really sad.

The increase of threads over the years involving posters arguing not about interesting subjects, but rather minute things about each other, has really taken a toll on not just this board, but boards as a whole.  Maybe I was just too blind to see the moment when starting shit with strangers over the stupidest things became more important than discussing anything of worth, but I do know that it wasn't always like that.

Here's your one and only good point. You are right. It is stupid and repititive to argue over the same things over and over again.

So why not stop bitching about TSM?

I've heard an American Statement that I can change to suit this situation.

"TSM: Love it Or Leave it."

-The Mysterious One

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
I rarely start threads around the board anymore and especially try and steer clear of even posting in this folder,

When have you ever made a thread NOT about dissing the board? I seem to recall you doing it all the time. You've been doing it for years. Even before Dames took over the board. That's like TWO years. That's sadder than a Yuna/IDRM cyber transcript.

What's the point of all this?  Posting is one thing, as you can discuss, learn, and enjoy yourself (if you look in the right places), but I can't help but think about how much time is wasted by so many people by getting involved in these petty flame wars that eventually build into 10-page, 200-posts threads

There is no point. Essentially we are just wasting our time. And if you don't like it why don't you take your ass over to your pesudo-intellectual elitist "Fuck TSM and WDI we're way cooler" "Sanctuary".

, but what about this bickering at each other and typing up these mega-responses to people we supposedly care nothing about?  I know I tend to get into these things myself, but never to the extent that others have.

Ha. You're the one with a multiple paragraph post blasting people for talking about what they want to talk about. And you haven't done this once or twice, you do it all the time.

What's been settled after all these posts have been amounted, after all these hours have been invested into arguing with a group of strangers over not something of any use, but over something petty.

Petty? Like bitching about not liking a folder you supposedly don't even post in. Stop bitching and stay out of the forum if you do not like it. I don't like elitist pricks so I stay out of the Pouruso folder. I don't like hearing people make up fake storys about their supposed sexual adventures so I stay out of LSD too.

Some may call me a hypocrite for saying these things, considering my tendencies in the past to get involved in similar petty disputes.  They may say it's ironic that I talk about what a waste of time threads like that are when I'm probably starting another one of them with this initial post.  But I guess that's the "risk" I'll take in trying to find out not only if anyone sees no point in such a thing, but maybe a valid reason as to why people feel the need to involve themselves in such garbage. 

You're right. You are a hypocrite. I always have previously respected you as a poster (disagreed with you on many things but respected you.) but this little drama is really sad.

The increase of threads over the years involving posters arguing not about interesting subjects, but rather minute things about each other, has really taken a toll on not just this board, but boards as a whole.  Maybe I was just too blind to see the moment when starting shit with strangers over the stupidest things became more important than discussing anything of worth, but I do know that it wasn't always like that.

Here's your one and only good point. You are right. It is stupid and repititive to argue over the same things over and over again.

So why not stop bitching about TSM?

I've heard an American Statement that I can change to suit this situation.

"TSM: Love it Or Leave it."

-The Mysterious One

1. When is it wrong for his to state an opinion. I don't think anyone should be faulted for steering clear of this folder. It isn't exactly the most exhilerating experience if you're looking to discuss something of substance. And while he used to always shit on this board, his arguement this time was much different. He was just asking why people get so worked up about petty flame wars...which is a valid question. Too many people seem to get too worked up over something that should be fun.

2. And what was the point of taking a shot at the SNKT? Its another alternative to this place. Is it better then the TSM? No. Is the TSM better then it? No. Its a totally different place. And there's nothing elitist about it, anyone can join...and NO ONE has been chastised for not bringing the content. There's no drama there at all.

3. He had a big response giving an opinion...have you noticed he hasn't written up anything large since? His problem is with the long back and forth jabs that this thread couldn't escape, y'know, like whenever Marney get ta' rantin'.

4. His bitching did get quite annoying before, but this thread was different. He brought up a point that no one had before. And its true. Why does Marney get jacked up into intimidating people who disagree with her? Its not fun, she isn't joking around, so whats the point? When I do it, its a total joke...and most people know that. But when people honestly get so worked up, its kinda puzzling.

5. Answer Bruiser's question. What does Marney or someone of the same ilk, get out of "conquering" their opponants on an internet message board? Its seems like an empty thrill that doesn't have a point.

6. Again. This isn't drama, its an opinion. People should take it as much. Don't get pissed at the poster, simply refute his comment. You have yet to refute, or even answer the point of this thread, rather you have just shit on him as a poster. I think it makes you look weaker than anything.

I like CWM, I do. But his TSM pride, fuck anyone with a differing opinion annoys me. I think the same as Marney who also pissed on this post. He has a valid point, and instead of getting all cracked up on piss and vinnegar, they should have realised they were only proving Bruiser's original point.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I'm sorry Banky but there's a big difference between when I post as CWM and when I post as TMO.

TMO is an asshole completely loyal to TSM. He's a gimmick.

CWM is an asshole who likes Brusier and thinks TSM sucks dick sometimes.

TMO just made that post because he thinks it's ghey to come onto a forum and bash it.

CWM thinks it's ghey too. But not in the same way. And CWM likes gheyness...it turns him on.

And if it helps, I like you Banky but I find you to be just as bad as Marney when it comes to posting stupid crap. You can be really awesome but sometimes your inane shit is really dull.

And if it helps, I like you Banky but I find you to be just as bad as Marney when it comes to posting stupid crap. You can be really awesome but sometimes your inane shit is really dull.

Sure thing, ScottKeith.

that wasn't Inane.

It was stupid.

Ingram

Fucker, Ingram was my identity I used when I was banned. It was meant to be funny or cool.

Nice try, though.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I like Your name now.

with "The Terrible" in your name it's like your warning people what your posts are going to be like.

zing.

I like Your name now.

with "The Terrible" in your name it's like your warning people what your posts are going to be like.

zing.

...clever. Sadly, thats the funniest thing you've posted in the past 10 months.

Hack.

I didn't here that.

I was busy banning you here:

The UndergroundI didn't here that.

I don't here you either.

:sigh:

PS. Ban me. I don't care. Its not like its going anywhere.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

It is too.

WDI had less members than we did at this point when they started.

Start pimping like last time Jeff.

Laterz.

It is too.

WDI had less members than we did at this point when they started.

Start pimping like last time Jeff.

Laterz.

You win.

Man...CWM has some wicked bad messageboard schizophrenia going

Yea, he's an idiot.

Guest HoffmanHHH

Alls I know is that UGS/Cyber Sluts/whatev looks a lot like WDI at its infancy. Smaller (at least as a regular constituency goes), but then WDI was, in a way, a product of the Smarks, and so the initial membership was bigger.

In any case I'm not ready to give up on it; the heads are decent enough, if mentally afflicted, and it's quiet, which is often welcome. Like, I can go from here to WDI or UGS or SNKT and it's like a dip in the pool after a day in the sun. You may have had fun in the sun, you may not have, but either way, that swim is gonna feel good.

EDIT: Check it, check it, check it out.