TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

I just saw Radiohead live.........

I think I'm in shock. Seriously. I've never, ever, ever expirienced anything like this before. This feeling. It was, on this day at least, the most beautiful type of music I'll ever hear. The atmosphere at The Skydome tonight was nothing but positive vibes from everybody around, sharing joints, chatting w/ strangers etc. I went on quite the journey today because of Radiohead and if you fancy a read, keep on goin' down the page..........

Pre- Concert Antics

Me and my two friends went to a bar downtown in T.O called The Loose Moose, which was a very nice place and they had a kick ass veggie burger. My friend Ryan was the one who bought the tickets in the first place, as he somewhat inheritied them when he agreed to take 4 tickets off the hands of a friend of his who couldn't make it tonight (and nor could her friends.) The problem was, we had an extra ticket for the evening and nobody to give it to.

Ryan is a nice guy by nature so before he and I left for the show (our other friend Shawn didn't care to see the opening act), he went over to the bar and told the barkeep that he could take the ticket and give it away to somebody in the bar. He said that he would. This guy ended up coming up to us and telling us that he would keep it for himself, that he was very grateful to Ryan and that we'd see him later. He also mentioned that if we wanted a beer afterwards, drinks were on the house if we came back here with him. Making a new friend, we left for the Dome.

Kid Koala, Opening Act and DJ Extraordinaire

This kid owns. OWNS. He's a tiny little Asian dude from Montreal who can spin faster then the speed of fuckin' light. He mixed "Fitter, Happier" by Radiohead which of course got the crowd amped. He then blew our minds with a 13 minute epic of a song that I didn't catch the name of and finished off with his "Audrey Hepburn Mix" which is basically him scratching and mixing Ms. Hepburn singing "Moon River."

Our Heroes take the stage

After Kid Koala was done there was a half hour break before Radiohead went on, which I used to smoke a joint. When they went on stage , the place began to shake. It felt like the roof was going to come off. They opened with (I believe) "Where I End and You Begin" which got rocked some serious ass. Afterwards they played a selection of songs off of Hail To The Theif, including "Sail to the Moon", "Sit Down, Stand Up", "There There" and "I Will."

Then something happened that made me gain a whole new measure of respect for Thom Yorke. During the middle of a song he just straight up stopped playing and shouted for the band to stop. He looked into the front row and said "Something's going on down there", which made the crowd laugh as we thought he'd stopped the band to make fun of somebody. As it turned out, somebody was having an eplieptic seizure in the front row and Thom stopped playing because he'd noticed the person seizing and called for security and an ambulance for the guy. He was body-surfed to the front of the stage where he was taken away and ended up coming back a half hour later, perfectly fine.

Aside from the Hail To The Thief stuff, they played Street Spirit, Paranoid Android, Climbing The Walls, My Iron Lung and Idioteque. Then they played it. My favorite. Fake Plastic Trees. It was one of the singlest most amazing moments of my life, to look around me and see 25,000+ people singing along with every word that left Thom Yorke's mouth. I almost cried.

The Encores

All I remember was that they finished up with "Karma Police", followed by Thom leading the audience in the chorus once the song finished for a couple minutes.

The After- Party

Free drinks on behalf of our new bartending friend Tony and lots of good conversation with a ton of Radiohead fans who happened to be at our bar.

This was an amazing, amazing night. Every song they played was with beauty and grace and musically, nothing could have sounded better.

Besides myself and C-Bacon, anybody else make it out to this or have seen Radiohead live before?

Guest Choken One

I had tickets once...Gave to a idiot fan who paid 150 bucks for them...easy Money.

That's the closest i'll go to Radiohead...

Guest Jack Tunney

sounds cool.They need to ditch "Karma Police" and start playing something more obscure."Black Star" maybe.

Radiohead are one of the best live bands you'll find.

Glasto this year was a HELL of a gig. The four bands I wanted to see were The Flaming Lips, Manic Street Preachers, Radiohead and REM. OK, none of them beat The Flaming Lips but Radiohead would have been the best if Flaming Lips weren't there.

Guest drdrainoscott

I saw them last monday in Atlanta. They were great, but it wasn't one of the best shows I've been too (though Idioteque may have been one of the coolest performances of a song I've ever seen). Still, they are easily one of my top three favorite bands.

at the skydome...

was the acoustics bad, because i've had some wreched concerts because the acoustics and echoes from the building. Was the dome open or closed?

Fan-fucking-tastic. The stage, lighting, band enthusiasim and crowd interaction was unbelievable. 23 brilliant songs, and there's a dozen more they could have played. Near the end of the set I was worrying that they wern't going to play Karma Police since they didn't at one of the MSG shows. Thankfully they did, with everyone singing "For a minute there, I lost myself" at the end. Beautiful.

It was painful sitting in the 200 level though, wishing we were on the floor. My friend got some decent pictures and some short video clips though. They NEED to release a live DVD to recreate such an experience. They played most of HTTT, which I didn't mind, cause i've probably listened to that more than OK Computer, and all of the songs were pulled off incredibly. Glad to see you had an equally awesome time Curry :headbang:

Setlist:

The Gloaming

There There

2+2=5

Backdrifts

WIEAYB

My Iron Lung

Myxomatosis

Paranoid Android

Sail to the moon

Kid A

Scatterbrain

Climbing up the walls

Like Spinning Plates

Idioteque

Go to sleep

Fake Plastic Trees

Sit down. Stand Up

ENCORE 1

You And Whose Army?

National Anthem

Punch Up

How to disappear completely

ENCORE 2

Karma Police

Everything in it's right place

The dome was closed but the concert area was sectioned off under the skytent. The show sounded killer but I havent seen a concert at the Dome before so I can't really judge the acoustics of it all.

Fan-fucking-tastic. The stage, lighting, band enthusiasim and crowd interaction was unbelievable. 23 brilliant songs, and there's a dozen more they could have played. Near the end of the set I was worrying that they wern't going to play Karma Police since they didn't at one of the MSG shows. Thankfully they did, with everyone singing "For a minute there, I lost myself" at the end. Beautiful.

It was painful sitting in the 200 level though, wishing we were on the floor. My friend got some decent pictures and some short video clips though. They NEED to release a live DVD to recreate such an experience. They played most of HTTT, which I didn't mind, cause i've probably listened to that more than OK Computer, and all of the songs were pulled off incredibly. Glad to see you had an equally awesome time Curry :headbang:

Setlist:

The Gloaming

There There

2+2=5

Backdrifts

WIEAYB

My Iron Lung

Myxomatosis

Paranoid Android

Sail to the moon

Kid A

Scatterbrain

Climbing up the walls

Like Spinning Plates

Idioteque

Go to sleep

Fake Plastic Trees

Sit down. Stand Up

ENCORE 1

You And Whose Army?

National Anthem

Punch Up

How to disappear completely

ENCORE 2

Karma Police

Everything in it's right place

Did you see Kid Koala scratch?

I saw the second MSG show (Friday the 10th) and was actually a bit disappointed.

A lot of the show was great. Getting incredible performances of "Airbag," "No Surprises," and "Talk Show Host" that I just didn't expect was superb. "Myxomatosis" and "The Gloaming" shimmered and thundered. But man, a big let down in a lot of other ways.

First off: how they're treating the Hail to the Thief material. Those two tracks were great, but the rest was mostly dull studio retreads. "Scatterbrain," "Sail to the Moon," and "Punch Up" were dull as rocks - you could have played them right off the record and gotten the same effect. It's cool for nostalgia pieces like "Just," but boo-urns on not playing around with your current stuff. Then there were issues of organizing the setlist. I mean, come on: you go out and play "Creep," one of the hugest, most anthemic songs of the 90's, and then I'm supposed to give a shit about "Scatterbrain"?

Then the dearth of Amnesiac. Only "You and Whose Army," ignoring a bunch of great, freaky arrangements. Sure, half that album's crap, but half of it's brilliant. The best performances of the night were the freaked-out start-stop of "Talk Show Host," and the electro-insanity of "The National Anthem" and "Everything in its Right Place." It's most interesting to see what they do with their varied arrangements live, and the best of the material they've put out on Kid A and Amnesiac is ideal for that.

Another huge problem was how they transitioned between songs - lights back up on stage, roadies bring on new guitars, etc. Why break the mood like that? They had a great thing going so many times, and so many times they just let it fizzle out. Half of the fun in a band like Radiohead is the weird, murky, dark pretension - leave the lights out a bit, eh?

Of course, this all sounds more negative than it should. I did have a really good, if not transcendental time, and I'm incredibly glad I got to see them perform, if only for the 7 or 8 stunning individual songs they pulled off. It just didn't quite hold up to the standard of a lot of other shows I've seen.

Oh, and check out 58hours.com for a setlist database of this tour and everything before it. It's really well organized - charts how often songs have been played on tour and has everything very up to date.

I saw them plat their big homecoming in Oxford, 2001 at the end of the Kid A/Amnesiac tour. Amazing band, especially the retreads of the Kid A/Amnesiac songs. I wish they played Like Spinning Plates then, but at least we got Creep.

As for Kid Koala, d/l his stuff of the Nathanial Merriweather (aka Dan The Automater) "Lovage" album. The tracks he did ("Everyone has a Summer" and "Koala's lament") are the best things he's ever recoded IMHO. Hell, get the whole album: it rocks!

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
As for Kid Koala, d/l his stuff of the Nathanial Merriweather (aka Dan The Automater) "Lovage" album. The tracks he did ("Everyone has a Summer" and "Koala's lament") are the best things he's ever recoded IMHO. Hell, get the whole album: it rocks!

Kid Koala also has a jazz-fusion-funk-hip hop group called Bullfrog. Its very very very good. Check it out.

And yes, this guy rules the turntable.

The dome was closed but the concert area was sectioned off under the skytent. The show sounded killer but I havent seen a concert at the Dome before so I can't really judge the acoustics of it all.

How much were the tickets?

Guest Jack Tunney
It was painful sitting in the 200 level though, wishing we were on the floor. My friend got some decent pictures and some short video clips though. They NEED to release a live DVD to recreate such an experience.

They might release one in December of a show in Switzerland they did back in the summer.I do have 2 uhhh..."unofficial" live DVD's of them though.One is the 1998 Tibetan freedom Concert,and another is a show from 1996 where they play early versions of Paranoid Android,Karma Police,and Climbing Up The Walls.It also has I Promise.

Guest Derek Bailey

I saw them in May, and will be seeing them again in November. As Edwin was saying, they should start to weed out the less stellar live Hail To The Thief songs (such as Sail To The Moon and We Suck Young Blood) from the set and keep with the more interesting live interpretations, like The Gloaming, Wolf At The Door and Myxomatosis.

This wasn't such a problem in May, as they seemed fresh what with it being mere days after the album leak, resulting in an amazing experience overall. However, come November I know I won't want to be hearing Sail To The Moon when I could be hearing Pyramid Song. I'm hoping that as this is their second UK tour supporting HTTT (although the first one was in small venues) they'll play a more diverse set, rather than the predictable "10 HTTT songs with assorted live staples" setlists of late.

I saw them in June of 2000 in Florence, Italy. For those of you that visit Pitchforkmedia, this was the same show that Brent D. referenced in his Kid A review. Fairly amazing stuff, although my enjoyment of the new material was somewhat lessened by the fact that I had never heard it before and most of that era Radiohead stuff is hard to wrap your head around on one listen. I can't really argue with their song selection or performances, which is to be expected when you consider that that was arguably the band at their absolute peak. I'd probably consider seeing them again if they played around here.