TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

The Ring

I was just curious as to what you guys thought of the flick. When it first came out, I heard so much hype on how it was one of the scariest movies ever, etc. etc. so I avoided it on purpose. Last night I noticed it was one of the movies available on my On Demand, so I sat back and watched it. While it wasn't as horrifying as I was led to believe, I did enjoy the story, although I don't think there was enough background on the girl, and her "powers". I am thinking about renting the Japanese version now as well, as it is also supposed to be pretty damn good.

Anyway, what did you guys think of it?

Personally, I found the Japanese version to be far inferior (and I CAN appreciate foreign and subtitled films). From those who have a preference, the trend seems to be that you like the version you saw first, most.

Dames

Personally, I found the Japanese version to be far inferior (and I CAN appreciate foreign and subtitled films).

I've never seen a movie with subtitles that I have enjoyed. Maybe this will be a first.

Personally, I found the Japanese version to be far inferior (and I CAN appreciate foreign and subtitled films).

I've never seen a movie with subtitles that I have enjoyed. Maybe this will be a first.

You didn't like Crouching Tiger? Or Snatch?

Guest Eric the Eagle

I personally slightly prefer the Japanese one, probably because I saw it first;). Most of my friends hate the american version, but in the end, I guess it also comes down to personal taste. The American version is somewhat more scary, in a "that made me jump a bit" way, but the original builds tension better, probably because it almost completely lacks outlets for it. The false finish

came of vastly better in the original, building to a race against the clock rather than "we've come back to the start and haven't got a clue".

Basically, the original explains somewhat less, leaves out the horses, adds a downplayed subplot about ESP, and hints that Dadako/Sakura's father may not be quite human. A couple of the hints pretty much requires a good understanding of Japanese culture to get.

Still, compared to the remake, there isn't really a whole lot of things happening in the original, so you have to prepare yourself for a different phase entirely.

BTW, did anyone else find the state of those killed by the little girl in the remake silly? If bodies started turning up like they'd been in the sea for a week, people other than the main characters really should be looking into it...

I've seen both versions. The American version is better. A real good movie that goes on for a scene or two too long.

Do you have rather narrow tastes? I just can't imagine never seeing a subtitled movie that I enjoyed.

Do you have rather narrow tastes? I just can't imagine never seeing a subtitled movie that I enjoyed.

Yeah, it is probably my narrow tastes. I've never given a subtitled movie more then two minutes on my TV before I change the channel.

Guest Choken One

Yeah, it is probably my narrow tastes. I've never given a subtitled movie more then two minutes on my TV before I change the channel.

I personally Love Subtitled movies for obvious reasons.

I only saw the American version, and thought it was good for what it was.

As far as subtitled movies go, I think that some are good enough to the point that you don't even notice anymore. Life is Beautiful comes to mind off the top of my head. By the end I didn't even realize that I was reading the story, I was that engrossed in it.

Guest El Satanico

I saw the remake first, but I liked the original slightly more. They gave more background to the girl and what happened to her, which I liked. I also liked the way they broke the curse in the end better.

I prefer the Japanese version.

For what it's worth, yes, that's the one I saw first.

Although I did like the inclusion of the horses in the remake. And Naomi Watts is smoking.

It was scary the first time, I liked it. After that though, the shock value is gone. In the original, the character Samara is based off is is potrayed to be more of the victim. In the US version, Samara is cold hearted evil bitch. I like the evil bitch version better myself.

Something I always wondered about the Ring though, Samara kills whoever when the times comes up, but...

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

What if you destroy the TV screen?

:D

Like to read, do you?

Like to read, do you?

Yeah. Every book in my room has been read and reread til they have fallen/are falling apart.

Something I always wondered about the Ring though, Samara kills whoever when the times comes up, but...

What if you destroy the TV screen?

:D

Before they freed here from the well she couldn't leave the TV, I think. That's why the kid got all freaked and said "You weren't supposed to help her". In the beginning of the movie, the girl's other friends died, two of em driving a car, the other on a motorcycle. Supposedly, and this is from what I read, her original way to kill was by showing someone what they would look like incredibly aged, or by throwing other images at them through any reflective surface (windshield, inside of motorcycle helmet, TV screen.) The images of course would have to be terrifying enough to cause a stroke or heart attack. Another interesting fact.....the reason the people's faces looked all fucked up after she "killed" them was because they were made by her to look like they had been dead underwater for a long time, as she had.

I never seen the jap film... and franly, like that old movie... I dont give a damn about Ringu.

Now 'bout The Ring.

I like the movie.

Im still not sure about the girl-force-of-nature-that-kills-everyone-just-because but its a good movie.

I thought The Ring was a very well-crafted film, excellently written, acted, and directed. That being said, I don't think that I'll ever watch it again. It just upset me way too much, got under my skin in a way that very few other movies ever have.

Guest Plushy Al Logan

Thanks to the commercial to Scary Movie 3, I havent slept in the past few days.

I only saw the American version, and thought it was good for what it was.

As far as subtitled movies go, I think that some are good enough to the point that you don't even notice anymore. Life is Beautiful comes to mind off the top of my head. By the end I didn't even realize that I was reading the story, I was that engrossed in it.

It took me a while to remember that Amelie was in french. I got so into the movie, I completely forgot...it...it was in french, right?

Guest El Satanico

I also can't remember if I saw Amelie with a dub or subtitles.

I guess that says alot about how good it was.

I saw The Ring first, and I thought it was bullshit. I didn't understand the hype at all. Ringu is better because while the remake is pretentious, the original just said "Fuck it, here's the fucking movie." and it was cool. The remake has grown on me some, I own the dvd, but still... it's nothing special.

Guest macheteofodin

I've only seen Ringu...and it definitely caught me off guard. I heard people say it was extremely scary but I just thought they were pussies. I've never been freaked out by a movie. Nothing more than just jumping because something popped up out of no where. After watching it I was still in awe at how creepy it was. The trick ending was insanely intense. I can't judge which is better since I haven't seen the entire remake, but the original is high on my list of favorite non-gore based horror films.

Before I watched Battle Royale, I never gave films with subtitles a chance, but now they don't bother me. The last 3 films I watched had subtitles (Seven Samurai, M, and Yojimbo), and they weren't obtrusive at all.

Guest Plushy Al Logan
who's that pumpkin head guy in your sig and why is he coming back very soon?

Samhaine. Umm......he's going to eat the Dames.