TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Perfxion

Sell me on Hating Linkin Park

Guest Doyo

They use the same simple formula for all their songs. All of their songs hover around

the 3 minute mark and their longest song ever is 3:36. Their rapper guy has horrible

flow and sounds like some bored guy reading out of an encyclopedia.

I will give them credit for being able to come up with some very catchy melodies and

their singer has a somewhat unique voice, but beyond that they don't offer too much.

Guest Nanks

OK, as a big LP fan, I will just give you what you're about to hear before the jackals smell the blood. It will be better coming from someone who agrees with you. Mike Shinoda does not have good flow, even I see that. You will be told that Chester is whiny and sounds like his voice hasn't broken. You will hear that all the lyrics are gay and apparently most people here were writing better stuff in 4th grade. Furthermore, apparently Brad Delson is a really bad guitarist and they're overproduced (which shits me because Joe Hahn does their producing and I reckon he's unreal) and overhyped. These are the basic reasons for the LP hate around here. Me?? I was close to tears because I couldn't afford to see them in Melbourne last week. I'm praying for them to be in Vancouver over your winter

Guest Choken One

Because they aren't worth the beer I placed on top of the cd for my Coaster.

Decent live band from what I heard, doesn't mean they are good music...

Hating Linkin Park is just a fad nowadays...concentrate on brutal hate for Good Charlotte.

Guest Nanks

and just as you say that they come on my fucking radio, despite often being slandered as a Good Charlotte fan, I am extremely far from it. I did like Little Things when I first heard it about 3-4 years ago, before it really hit the charts, because I assumed they would be improving from there. They didn't...

I don't hate them. I dig a couple of their songs. The rest I can take or leave, but I don't find anything truly offensive about their music or the band itself that would make me hate or even dislike them.

I do have two major criticisms about them, though:

1.) They're ridiculously overplayed, at least on radio. This isn't so much their fault, but still, I can quite easily grow to hate a LP song that I otherwise halfway enjoy if I have to hear it 4 times an hour.....every hour.....on my local rock station.

2.) I can't see any growth in their second album. I won't necessarily say that "all of their songs sound alike" (although I think it's somewhat true), but their second album seemed largely to just be more of the same from the first, with no real progression. Or at least, that's my impression. Maybe if you're a die-hard LP fan, that's all you want or need, but for a guy like me, who's lukewarm about them as is, it's not winning me over.

EDIT: Good Charlotte deserves to be drug out into the street and beaten savagely. I'll provide the sack of doorknobs.

Guest Doyo
they're overproduced (which shits me because Joe Hahn does their producing and I reckon he's unreal)

Isn't Joe Hahn their DJ? You are making it sound like Mutt Lange or someone like that

was their producer.

Guest Nanks

On inspection of CD sleeve, I see that it is Don Gilmore & Linkin Park, so I guess that would indicate he does do some of the producing. I know he does their film clips, which they have won a few awards for.

Chester is whiny

How about Chester wishes he was the guy from Korn.

Mike Shinoda

I like him better than Fred Durst. I guess I am the only person who likes Mike?

Somehow the contrast between Mike and Chester work, I guess they cancel out the suck in each other kind of like a double negative.

Linkin Park > limpbiskit

Guest Nanks

Everyone > Fred Durst, razazteca, doesn't really say much.

Having earlier said that Mike has bad flow, I will postscript that by saying that I do like him nonetheless.

I wonder if Linkin Park can do what Korn nor limpbiskit has done............progress music wise past the angry teen sound and be successful.

I doubt it.

Guest Choken One

remember that stupid ass song he did with Xcutioners

Intro]

I knew I was being threatened

Do you think it's worth holding out'

I mean I've heard some pretty ugly things about those guys

Ugly stories

(electric guitar starts)

"Watch them flee.. watch them flee" *scratches*

"Rap up" *scratches*

"Watch them flee" *scratches*

"Hip-Hop hits" *scratches*

"And you do it like this"

(Mike Shinoba)

[Verse 1]

It's going down

The rhythm projects 'round the next sound

Reflects the complex hybrid dialect now

Detect the mesh of many elements compressed down

The melting pot of a super-futureesque style

The combination of a vocal caress

With lungs that gasp for breath

From emotional stress

With special effects

And a distorted collage

Carefully lodged between beats of rhythmic barrage

[Pre-Chorus](2x)

It's going down

The logical progression on a the timeline

The separation narrowed down to a fine line

To blur the edges so they blend together properly

Take you on an audible odyssey

Now it's going down

[Chorus](2x)

"Put put.. put it up" *scratches*

"I said it goes like this" *scratches*

"And you do it like this" *scratches*

It's going down

(Mike Shinoba)

[Verse 2]

Once again it is

Composed sentences all together venomous

The four elements of natural force

Projected daily through the sound of the source

Everybody on board with this blend

The sword with the pen

Generic angst lyrics, mediocre sampling, poor rapping, and a whiny idiot singer.

They're so generic it's sad. A bunch of guys singing angsty lyrics when most of them probably haven't lived a bit of what they're singing about.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

They bother me because their is no attempt to be at all different, especially lyrically. I'm not saying you can't be angry, but please, lets try to do something a bit more unique than "felt this way before, so insecure".

The best description of the band I ever heard was the world's loudest boy band and that fits quite nicely. No originality, no creativity, well marketed, big catchy hooks pre-made for people who aren't in the mood to over think when it comes to music. And Chester is so dreamy. Yeah.

I can understand why people like them, I just don't understand how one could really defend them as anything more than a slightly agitated pop group.

I remember reading in Rolling Stone that, at least for their first album, the songs were all written for them. That's a big no no in my world, especially when they are a band that pretend to be about some sort of deep issues (getting dumped again and again and again.)

Besides, the two singers are supposed to get married to each other soon. (or so I tell every LP fan I encounter.)

Chester is the one that ruins the band. They always inject a screamed melodic chorus in songs where it isn't needed, hoping for a hook.

That 2nd single, the one with the Chinese movie sounding sample, is great until the unneccessary chorus. The whole song should have been rapping over that cool sample; instead they force a hook in there.

I just caught the tail end of their video "Numb" on MTV. Do I even need to describe what is so horrible about this group. I mean, just listen to the song, for Christ's sake. 3 minutes of cliches and whining. Now, I am all for a good whining song, but only if I can feel what the guy is singing about. Linkin Park almost turns me into the guy who beat their asses in the locker room after gym class. I just wanna strangle them and tell them to stop being such a bunch of pussies.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

If I were to start sporadically cooking and eating nu metal bands, I'd start with Linkin Park. That Chester kid is soft and tender, with no metallic aftertaste. We've all called him whiny because, well, he's whiny.

"Don't Turn your back on me,

I won't be ignored."

A dapper little chorus with the delivery of a marginally post pubescent Billy Corgan mixed with a random middle child.

Aside from being the antithesis of everything they're supposedly about, musically speaking, they're WAY overplayed, and INCREDIBLY overproduced. I'll explain that first part.

They're generally hailed as some sort of blend between rap and metal, right? With emotional lyrics that everyone can relate to...I guess. How well do they play metal? For brevity's sake, I'll just say "Not well." I'm no rap scholar, but Mike Shimoda sounds awkward and forced. The beats do nothing for me, either. As for the oh so touching lyrics, they're as vague as "rock" music. Nothing personal, just a plethora of emotional buckshot, as dull as lead, flying innacurately at the listening public. Horrible, terrible, awful band.

I hate mike, like chester and like the band.

Easier to Run(or is that song called Numb...?), and Breaking the Habit 0wns your faces.

Guest Choken One
If I were to start sporadically cooking and eating nu metal bands, I'd start with Linkin Park. That Chester kid is soft and tender, with no metallic aftertaste. We've all called him whiny because, well, he's whiny.

"Don't Turn your back on me,

I won't be ignored."

A dapper little chorus with the delivery of a marginally post pubescent Billy Corgan mixed with a random middle child.

Aside from being the antithesis of everything they're supposedly about, musically speaking, they're WAY overplayed, and INCREDIBLY overproduced. I'll explain that first part.

They're generally hailed as some sort of blend between rap and metal, right? With emotional lyrics that everyone can relate to...I guess. How well do they play metal? For brevity's sake, I'll just say "Not well." I'm no rap scholar, but Mike Shimoda sounds awkward and forced. The beats do nothing for me, either. As for the oh so touching lyrics, they're as vague as "rock" music. Nothing personal, just a plethora of emotional buckshot, as dull as lead, flying innacurately at the listening public. Horrible, terrible, awful band.

if you want Whiny music but has good lyrics and Music...Look no further then LOA.

Guest Xstasy

The same idea of the lyrics do kinda get to me, but I like how they rock out. Also, I like the fact that they combine the live sound with produced electronica. And of course, their videos are always cool.

I would like to see them write about other things though, and stop using the basic Alternative chord progression.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

...but they don't rock out, though. They're just...wimpy. The riffs are completely devoid of balls and crunch.