TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Sell Me On the Salary Cap

Guest Choken One

Like i said in the other thread...

It's not the money it's the players.

NYY spends a lot of money yes but they don't use that money on Derek Bell or Mo Vaugh.

Small Market teams shown you can compete with the right players and Big Market teams tend to suck as well...

Yankees make big market teams look like they always win when the fact is they usally suck because they buy name players and not the right players.

Because a team like the Yankees spends twice as much as everybody else and goes to the World Series again and again.

Can you imagine if the NFL had no salary cap and the Redskins went to 6 of the next 8 WS?

The other teams aren't even that bad. It is all the Yankees. The amount that they are paying that team is rediculous. Sports need parity these days to survive. People get tired of seeing the same teams win all the time. Baseball ratings and attendance has plummetted since the 80s and early 90s, when teams like Kansas City, Minnesota, Oakland, Detroit and others had a shot. MLB needs to change or the league will die, and since that would basically be the end of a national baseball league in North America, it is not something I want to see.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I think the cap is great in football, but baseball is a completly different situation in regards to money and owners. I think the luxury tax is the best way to go for baseball.

Ok. Some of us hate the idea of a cap, and some of us hate the current condition of the game. Let's make a compromise.

A lifelong ban of George Steinbrenner from Major League Baseball.

Guest Choken One

Once again, You can throw all the money around you want, but in the end it's all about WHO they sign...

L.A, Mets, Baltimore spend near the same amount but because of weak coaching or bad management they won't win...

Yankees find the right players and the real key players were home bred...They find the right role players (Boone)...

The Yankees had a huge three year run, built off their farm system. Over the last three years, they haven't dominated. They've been in highly competitive games. Unless the Yankees are winning every series in 4-5 games, I don't see the problem there. And I truly don't believe that a team can survive on free agents.

Besides, the Yankees lose Clemens after this year. Pettitte's a free agent, and Wells is 40. They may run into problems yet.

As for the yankees spending, there's NOTHING preventing other teams from using the same business model.

except that they don't have as much money?

Hey, awesome, the small market teams can compete?

How many series have they won in the last 10 years?

Well, let's see. Arizona & Florida don't count because those championships were bought, and the Angels are owned by Disney, so they probably shouldn't count either.

I will go with 0.

As for the yankees spending, there's NOTHING preventing other teams from using the same business model.

Why do the Yankees have more money? And if its New York, then why don't the Mets have this money?

What is there to hate about the current condition of the game? It has been shown that a properly managed organization can be competitive no matter what they spend.

I do think though, if a salary floor was implemented that it would restrict teams like the Yankees more, because there would be more teams in the market for players. And I don't think player's salaries would rise too much, because the owners seem to be making a concerted effort to keep contracts down.

Guest Choken One

Hate to tell you but just everyowner is rich as or more then Georgie boy...

Unlike George, they choose to fatten their wallets instead.

Guest Choken One

Why do the Yankees have more money? And if its New York, then why don't the Mets have this money?

They do...They have a shit for brains GM and Owner who signed the WRONG people.

Why do the Yankees have more money?

i have no idea to be honest, I'm not a big baseball guy. But let's try and skip the 4 pages where you say the other teams have as much money as the Yankees.

Look up how much some of these owners are worth before you stand by that statement.