TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

The ONE and ONLY World Series Thread

Do you think we will finally see the long bandied about Pettite in Phillie pinstripes deal happen this offseason?

Not that he would be my first choice, but it has been a name tossed around for a long time.

Pettite isn't leaving New York. Especially not to Philadelphia. But if I was a Phillies fan, I'd love that trade. Pettite would be one of the best starters in the National League.

Guest BobbyWhioux

I'd love to see Pettite bolt via free agency... Because I think it would really maim the Yankees starting rotation, not just the compound effect of Clemens retiring too, but because I think Pettite's the best of the bunch (i.e. if I were in Joe Torre's position, Pettite would be my game 7 guy over Clemens, over Wells, over Mussina. Without hesitation.) Pettite leaving via free agency would, I think, be a bigger loss than Clemens' retiring or Wells being released.

That being said, I think it would be the Apex of Retardation for the Yankees to not re-sign him. I don't see them being dumb enough to let him slip away. Unless Pettite decides he wants to go somewhere else, I fully expect him to stay.

Unfortunately.

Guest Anglesault

Hey Mik, what exactly happened to the dismantling and what not that was going to "continue" (6-1 is more of a dismatlement than 3-2) and end the series in 4?

Well, If you go back and look I said Marlins in 5. There is still a chance, although I think there was a bit of the fan in me talking there.

I still think the Marlins take the series, though.

You know, the Marlins have been my team ever since I was 10 years old, I follow them religiously, and I just today realized how cocky Beckett is. I always thought he was just going out there and doing his business. I turn on Sportscenter and see them all talking about how cocky he is, accompanied with interview clips where he says he is the next great pitcher, etc, etc.

Needless to say, I didn't think I could be surprised by anything that went on with the Marlins, but this caught me off guard.

But I think I like it. To hang with the big boys, you have to believe you're a big boy. People confuse cockiness and confidence. Confidence is needed to suceed and if people confuse it with cockiness, oh well.

With all that said, go Beckett tomorrow in game 3 and defeat my hometown boy, Mike Mussina (he's from Mountoursville, PA, not too far from my childhood home).

Funny you should mention that, as I was talking about that over at SNKT just yesterday afternoon.

QUOTE (Bruiser Chong @ Oct 19 2003, 03:38 PM)

Good, I hope the damn thing falls off.  He may be a good guy, but the way the FOX announcers built him up and made him sound, he came off as a cocky bitch who needs a reality check.

The "damn thing" I'm referring to is his arm, which may seem harsh, but I just don't dig his attitude. Yeah, you need confidence and believe in yourself for anyone else to do so, but he seems like he's taking it to another level.

I remember Barry Bonds talking about how Carlos Zambrano needed a reality check and would get one (this was stemming from the emotion that Zambrano showed after he got Bonds out during a game where the bases were either loaded or fairly packed). I wonder how he feels about Beckett in that case, who is less animated than Zambrano, seems to think much higher of himself than Carlos does.

Wow. 5 innings in and not a single post.

That ball four pitch was questionable, as was the 3-2 pitch, as was ball four to Giambi. Let's hope this delay gets over quickly.

Beckett is still bringing it in the 8th. Anyone who said the Yankees would kill him for being cocky should apologize. I'm looking at you, Daily Quickie.

As I write that, Jeter gets his 3rd hit of the night. The only three of the game...

Key strikeout by fox!!!

Ok, so here we go against Rivera for two innings.

And yes, just as everyone predicted, I am talking to myself.

Guest Choken One

Hah I love it when a REAL team effectively blows the doors off the little cinderellas...

Guest Choken One

I'm Glad NYY are blowing em out...why cheapen the title even more with another Florida championship...Anaheim was bad enough but FLORIDA again? Shiiit.

I'm Glad NYY are blowing em out...why cheapen the title even more with another Florida championship...Anaheim was bad enough but FLORIDA again? Shiiit.

"Florida again?"

Right. Because it's not like the Yankees haven't been seen in the World Series year after year after year after year.

The Yankees have won four out of the last seven World Series. Other than the miraculous Anaheim Angels' run last year, every year that the Yankees have not made it to the World Series, the National League has won the championship.

But it's not because the Yankees are some kind of mystical baseball think-tank. It's not because the Yankees are a dynasty. It's because baseball is broken and, due to old men who harp about nothing but tradition, the Yankees can abuse the system to all its fullest.

Nobody's ever going to consistently compete with them. Nobody's going to be able to match revenue with a team centered in the capital of the free world. Hell, no one else was smart enough to keep the Yankees from creating their own proprietary medium (the YES network) to create an even larger divide in terms of capital.

Thanks to the collective stupidity of the owners and baseball management, the Yankees have been allowed to eliminate competition by continually hand-picking the best players on the market while keeping their own stars.

And you know what you are when you've abused the system to the point where there's virtually no hope for consistent competition?

You're not a dynasty. You're a monopoly.

There's nothing special about what the Yankee's have accomplished, due to what they've been given. Every team is a small-market team, compared to the Yankee machine. Having $180 million around makes it fairly easy to keep a nucleus of the finest players in the league. And home-grown talent? The Yankees are allowed to spend more money for scouting and recruiting personnel, more money to throw at worthy prospects that come up through their system and, when they make mistakes, enough of a compilation of talent to allow them to abandon mediocre talent freely and without worry.

Imagine if Derek Jeter had came up with the Kansas City Royals. Sure-fire prospect at an important skill position, official posterboy for the league, a yearly lock for the All-Star game. But after his contract runs out, Jeter has two choices: stay in small-market Kansas City and make decent money (while keeping the Royals from signing other key members that would help them improve the team), or go to a big-market club for more money and a chance to win (because they can pay for the better players).

The New York Yankees have the money to keep the players that their highly-paid scouts and analysts rate as top performers while going after top free agents that other teams could never realistically afford to pay, acquiring them at a cheaper rate just because they offer the best chance to win a ring.

For all of the Yankees fans who have a hard time understanding why your team is universally despised, that's the reason right there. Too many fans have seen their local heroes like Paul O'Neill, Robin Ventura, David Wells, Roger Clemens, and Mike Mussina leave for the pinstripes, only to turn around and beat the brains out of their old team on their way to another World Series. When those other teams won, people celebrated not only because they may have been their local team, but because they grasp onto momentary hope that perhaps "the evil empire" has made a mistake and baseball will be a great sport with true competition once again.

It's not your fault for being fans of a successful team, nor is it the Yankees' fault for preying upon the collective ineptitude of the entire league. It isn't even the fault of the players, who are merely looking out for their own interests like anybody else would in the marketplace.

The fault lies upon baseball, and its group of ignorant owners who have much more pressing matters to attend to than regulating the quality of the game. When baseball went on strike, the league had the opportunity to adapt to the changes that had been occuring through the marketplace in all sports (or even all businesses in general). They had a chance to mend their wounds but, instead, they merely caved into the whims of the players and old men who don't want to accept the notion that their national pasttime needs to evolve with the times.

And now, as New York takes a 2-1 series lead against a team that has one-third of its payroll, baseball management secretly frets about television revenues and desperately grabs onto any minimal sign of recovery (oooooh, ratings are up 16% from last year, which happened to be the worst rated World Series of all time) while having absolutely no idea that they are the ones who are responsible for their own downfall.

Because, even if the Florida Marlins win this World Series, the business-savvy Yankees will be back next year. And the year after that. And the year after that.

Take it to the bank.

Edited by The Man in Blak