TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slayer

Share your painful sports memories

Wayne Gretzky scoring to beat the Leafs in OT in Game 6, when he should've been in the box serving a high-sticking major after busting Doug Gilmour wide open just minutes earlier.  This ruined what would have been the last-ever Leafs-Canadiens Stanley Cup final.

Why is that? Toronto was in the West for a few more years after that and both teams were still contending until Roy left, IIRC. So now tell me that I recalled wrong and clarify

Well, the Canadiens never made it out of the first round again while Toronto was still in the West. Theoretically, they could have still met for another 2 or 3 years, but realistically, that was it.

1994 & 99: Pacers robbed of NBA Finals due to officiating.

1996: That BITCH Otis Thorpe breaking Reggie's eye socket and rendering him virtually useless in our first-round loss to the Hawks (he couldn't even play until the fifth game).

1997: That asshole Larry Brown refuses to play Jalen Rose after trading our starting PG for him, and we end up not making the playoffs.

2000: Blazers choke 15-point 4th quarter lead in game 7 allowing Lakers to make the Finals and manhandle the Pacers.

2002: Kings robbed of NBA Finals in Game 6 due to officiating.

And of course, that DAMN monkey.

2003: Pacers choke a golden opportunity to win the Central with losses to Milwaukee and Orlando, then choke again against Boston in the playoffs, blowing a 17-point lead in game 1. Thanks to Isiah's shitty clock management down the stretch, we couldn't get Reggie back in the game and had to shoot a halfcourt shot At least Bird was smart enough to realize what the problem was.

Guest FrigidSoul
NHL: The Bruins Collapse last year...they started out so red hot(42-19 or something insane like that) and just...disappeared off the face of the earth.

NBA: The Nets just killing the Celtics in the playoffs last year, Kidd pulling triple-doubles out like fairy dust.

MLB: Aaron Fucking Boone...

NFL: Getting slaughtered by the Packers in the 96' Super Bowl with Bledsoe at the helm and a solid running game in Curtis Martin

What (I'm guessing)she said.

Along with the Penguins owning the Bruins throughout the early 90s

Watching Reggie Lewis just drop on the basketball court and finding out later he had died

Oakland owning Boston in the playoffs in the early 90s with former Red Sox starter turned reliever Eck killing every moment of momentum we got

Watching Reggie Lewis just drop on the basketball court and finding out later he had died

Unless you were watching the offseason pick-up game where he collapsed and later died you are mistaken. He did collapse during an actual game but he didn't die then. Hank Gathers on the other hand did collapse in an actual game and died that night.

Guest FrigidSoul

Unless you were watching the offseason pick-up game where he collapsed and later died you are mistaken. He did collapse during an actual game but he didn't die then. Hank Gathers on the other hand did collapse in actual and died that night.

I was pretty young when it all happened so I was going on memory. Still it was very shocking and sucked large donkey balls

NFL

The Raiders making the Super Bowl last year. Watching them get blown out was awesome stuff.

The Cowboys winning 3 Super Bowls in the 1990s, the fuckers.

The Rams winning the Super Bowl in 1999 and making it back in 2001, although seeing them lose to the Patriots was sweet bliss.

That 40-8 blowout the 49ers suffered at the hands of the Philadelphia Eagles. IIRC, this was 1994.

The NFC Championship losses to the Cowboys in 1990s

All of the losses to Green Bay over the last several years.

The MNF blowout the 49ers suffered at the hands of the Eagles last year.

The blowout loss against Tampa Bay in the playoffs in January.

The blowout loss to Minnesota earlier this year.

Garrison Hearst's ankle injury from the 1999 divisional playoff game against the Atlanta Falcons

Koy Detmer's dislocated elbow on MNF last year against the 49ers. From the replay, that was not a pretty sight.

Most of my painful sports memories are football related. I can't think of any others for the other sports right now.

Oh boy, being a Browns fan, here we go:

- Red Right 88 - Wasn't born yet, but deserves a mention. The Kardiac Kids are moving down the field in the 1980 Div Playoff game vs. the Raiders. It's COLD and WINDY! The Browns are down by 2 and inside the 10 yard line. Instead of kicking a FG at the end of the game, (Xps and FGs have been botched all day due to the weather) Cleveland calls Red Right 88 and QB Brian Sipe throws an INT to end Cleveland's season.

- The Comeback - The 1985 Div Playoff game saw the Browns up 21-3 vs. the Dolphins in Miami. Rookie Bernie Kosar looked like he could do no wrong. Unfortuantely, in the 2nd half, Marino found Duper and Clayton (I believe) on several occasions to lead Miami in a 24-21 win over Cleveland.

- The Drive - A year had passed, but this was the year the Browns were finally running on all cylinders. Kosar was on fire, RB Kevin Mack was running over everyone, and the defense was murdering teams. So after defeating the NY Jets in the 1986 Div Playoff game, Cleveland was to host Denver in the AFC Chmpionship Game. The game was a struggle for both teams as neither could get their respective offenses running. However, with under 6:00 left, Kosar found WR Brian Brennen for a TD to give Cleveland a 20-13 lead. With the wind blowing everywhere, the ensuing kickoff blew around, wasn't caught, and died on the 1 1/2 yard line where Denver would take over. The only points Denver had going in were basically spoonfed by the defense giving them excellent field position. However, as most NFL fans know, Elway seized the moment, took his team 98 yards, and sent the game into OT. Rich Karlis kicked a FG to win in OT. This was, quite possibly, Cleveland's lowest moment until one year later.

- The Fumble - Yet another year has passed. The Browns found themselves in the playoffs once again and steamrolled over the Indianpolis Colts in the Div Playoff game. This meant that the Browns would go to Denver to try to get revenge for last year's Drive. However, Cleveland found themselves trailing into the 2nd half. But thanks to Earnest Byner, the Browns managed to daze and confuse the Broncos. This led to an ironic drive where Cleveland was down by 7 late in the 4th Quarter. Up the field they went when Kosar once again gave Byner the ball when he saw daylight to the endzone. Unfortunately for Browns fans everywhere, Byner fumbled the ball on the 2 and watched as Denver pounced on it. Denver surrendered a late safety that was all for not as Elway's Broncos did it again to the Browns winning 38-33.

- Three Strikes and You're Out - So in 1989, the Browns had a new coach in Bud Carson and had their sights headed for a Super Bowl appearance. After a dramatic 34-30 win over the Buffalo Bills (which is the only NFL game I still have on tape) in the Div Playoffs, it was off to Denver to play the Broncos for the 3rd time in 4 years to determine who would go to the Super Bowl. There would be no nail biting in this one since the Broncos soundly beat up on the Browns 38-24 to shoo Cleveland away for good.

- After Further Review . . . - The Browns left in 1996 and came back in 1999. The first 2 years saw Cleveland earn a 5-27 record. Bringing in Butch Davis made a world of difference. In 2001, The Browns found themselves in the runnng late in the season to snag a playoff birth. In the biggest game of the new Browns' history, they would host the Jacksonville Jaguars. Cleveland was down late in the game when Tim Couch was driving his team up field. On 4th down, Couch threw a ball to Quincy Morgan for a 1st down. Hustling up, Couch took the snap, gave an ill advised pump fake, and THEN spiked the ball. Well, with it under 2:00 the booth called for a challenge since that would be grounding. The ref came out, and stated that Morgan's catch was ruled a bobble and the Jaguars would take over on downs. HUH?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Knowing that this violates the rules of review, Cleveland fans wasted no time in throwing bottles, boom boxes, phones, and anything else not nailed down onto the field. With time still remaining, the refs ruled the game as being OVER! WHAT?!?!?!?!? Can a ref just terminate a game before the time expires? Apparently not because NFL officials sent the two teams back to finish. Did they give Cleveland the ball back? Of course not. Jacksonville took some knees and The Browns were defeated and eliminated from playoff contention.

There were other Browns moments that make me sick to my stomach but I'm tired of typing, maybe I'll type up Volume II later.

One thing to ponder about the Browns problems from '86-'89 though...

Had they beaten the Broncos in any or all of those years, how would they have fared against the same NFC teams that would go on to bend the Broncos over and make them their bitch to the nth degree?

Had they beaten the Broncos in any or all of those years, how would they have fared against the same NFC teams that would go on to bend the Broncos over and make them their bitch to the nth degree?

Well, the 1986 Browns defense was far superior to Denver's for the most part. I couldn't see Washington putting up 55 against the Brownies.

The 49ers were a force, but my heart says The Browns would of fared a bit better. Well, the 1989 Browns would have been taken to school and back.

Speaking for me, it would have been nice to see Cleveland make it to at least ONE fucking Super Bowl.

Well, the 1986 Browns defense was far superior to Denver's for the most part. I couldn't see Washington putting up 55 against the Brownies.

The 49ers were a force, but my heart says The Browns would of fared a bit better. Well, the 1989 Browns would have been taken to school and back.

Speaking for me, it would have been nice to see Cleveland make it to at least ONE fucking Super Bowl.

Minor historical quibbles here, though I see your points

NFC Super Bowl reps

'86 was the Giants, when Phil Simms picked apart the holes in Denver's defense

'87 was the Redskins, when Doug Johnson did the same thing

'89 was the 49ers, when Montana not only picked apart the holes but stuck his cock right in them because he owned the Broncos that night

Minor historical quibbles here, though I see your points

NFC Super Bowl reps

'86 was the Giants, when Phil Simms picked apart the holes in Denver's defense

'87 was the Redskins, when Doug Johnson did the same thing

'89 was the 49ers, when Montana not only picked apart the holes but stuck his cock right in them because he owned the Broncos that night

My bad, I thought it was Skins and twice against the 49ers. I forgot the 49ers played the Bengals in the 1988 SB. BTW, it was Doug Williams, not Doug Johnson. No biggie, but we don't want to confuse the youngins like I did.

Just got home from the Browns loss to the previously 0-5 Chargers. It sucks watching them play either up or down to their opponent's level of play. This Jekkel/Hyde stuff pisses me off.

--Dolphins losing 65-7 in MArino's last game

--Joe Carter's HR to beat the Phillies in the '93 World Series

--the "wait...wait...wait...wait...penalty!" call to help Ohio State beat Miami for the National Title

--Scott Steven's hit on Lindros a few years ago in the playoffs

Guest Bricks

John Starks was my favorite player back in the day and it was depressingly painful watching him shoot the Knicks out of the Championship against Houston in Game 7.

C'mon, you've missed 20 shots so far, maybe you should dump it down to Ewing, huh.

John Starks was my favorite player back in the day and it was depressingly painful watching him shoot the Knicks out of the Championship against Houston in Game 7.

C'mon, you've missed 20 shots so far, maybe you should dump it down to Ewing, huh.

Fitting username, Bricks.

I've always had a soft spot for the Cardinals, so nothing compares to learning about Darryl Kile's death last year. Sports victories and defeats come and go, but Kile's passing really hit hard.

BTW, it was Doug Williams, not Doug Johnson.  No biggie, but we don't want to confuse the youngins like I did.

Well don't I feel like a dumbass now...

Just got home from the Browns loss to the previously 0-5 Chargers.  It sucks watching them play either up or down to their opponent's level of play.  This Jekkel/Hyde stuff pisses me off.

I was hoping for an 0-16 season for them, myself

Fuck Rottenheimer

Guest MikeSC
Personal- Winning a grand total of 7 games in my 4 years of playing high school hockey.

Gotcha beat. High school baseball. Team didn't win a game all season (seldom did we come close). Had a home run ruled foul (complete screw job there) and, then in the top of the next inning, took a line drive off of the chest.

Never did try to pitch again after that.

-=Mike

Personal- Winning a grand total of 7 games in my 4 years of playing high school hockey.

Gotcha beat. High school baseball. Team didn't win a game all season (seldom did we come close). Had a home run ruled foul (complete screw job there) and, then in the top of the next inning, took a line drive off of the chest.

Never did try to pitch again after that.

-=Mike

Jesus...did you manage to stay in the game after the chest shot? Damn that must've been hella scary knowing you can't do a damn thing with a ball flying at you over 90+ MPH

--Joe Carter's HR to beat the Phillies in the '93 World Series

Ironically, my fondest memory regarding baseball.

I'm a Bills fan though, take your pick. Personally, one that stings the most is the one I fondly remember the most; Music City Miracle. Looking back, I *still* think it was a forward pass.

Guest stardust

I don't think I (or any other Cowboys fan, for that matter) will ever forget Leon Lett and the icy Thanksgiving Day game against Miami.

I'm a Bills fan though, take your pick. Personally, one that stings the most is the one I fondly remember the most; Music City Miracle. Looking back, I *still* think it was a forward pass.

You think that because it actually WAS a forward pass. The Bills got fucked oh so very badly in that game...

I don't think I (or any other Cowboys fan, for that matter) will ever forget Leon Lett and the icy Thanksgiving Day game against Miami.

Eh, that game wasn't THAT devastating.

Barry Switzer's dumbass game plan against the Niners in the NFC Championship Game, which resulted in the Cowboys' failing to become the first team to win 4 straight Super Bowls stings just a little more. The would've won the Super Bowl that year, and them being the only team to ever win 4 in a row (especially now that no one will EVER do that) would've been especially sweet.

The other painful Cowboys' thing was the big egg they laid against the Texans last year. Not only was the game itself a disgrace, but the shit I caught from most of my coworkers the next day about it almost made me leave early due to "illness." Living in Houston sucks sometimes...

Music City Miracle - ahh, now *that* cheers me up. I literally fell off my bed laughing when I saw that.

Ahh yes, for every person's painful sports memory, there's someone on the other side for whom it's a great sports memory

I must say, I laughed my ass off watching that. Especially at the announcers' call:

"It's Leon Lett! NOOOOO!!"

Guest stardust

Eh, that game wasn't THAT devastating.

Barry Switzer's dumbass game plan against the Niners in the NFC Championship Game, which resulted in the Cowboys' failing to become the first team to win 4 straight Super Bowls stings just a little more. The would've won the Super Bowl that year, and them being the only team to ever win 4 in a row (especially now that no one will EVER do that) would've been especially sweet.

The other painful Cowboys' thing was the big egg they laid against the Texans last year. Not only was the game itself a disgrace, but the shit I caught from most of my coworkers the next day about it almost made me leave early due to "illness." Living in Houston sucks sometimes...

Oh, I know that wasn't the worst, but that's the one that always sticks out in my mind for some reason.

And the Cowboys losing to the Texans...yes, that was quite painful to watch.