TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

The Darkness

These guys have been around for a while across the pond, but they're video for I Believe in a Thing Called Love has just started being played on MTV2. They're the perfect hybrid of Queen and AC/DC. I'm getting their CD once I get time to go to the local music shop and get it. I'm wondering if their are any other fans of them on this board?

I was about to add that to my post. On MTV News they said that by no means by they're a parody but after watching the video it's extremely hard to tell. If it's a parody they're doing a fucking good job at it.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

I am English and live in good ol'blighty. The Darkness are massive over here and their music is pretty cool imo. There is a slight gimmick to them but they are also supposed to be great live.

I'm pretty sure that it's a gimmick. I recall reading a review of one of their concerts, where Eddie Van Halen was rumored to attend, and the leader singer was quoted as saying, "He didn't show up, because he knew that if he did, he would have to hand over his crown to me."

Surely, no one outside of Oasis can be that arrogant, unless they're a gimmick band. Tenacious D anyone? ("Dio has rocked for a long, long time, now it's time for him to pass the torch...you must give your cape and scepter to me, and a smaller one for KG")

They're not arrogant (that's just playing it up for MTV and the like), but I don't think they're a gimmick band either. They love the stuff they're playing. And they've got some good tunes too.

Anyone interested in the USA should d/l some videos of them, preferably live. If you just get the record, it's not the same.

One of the greatest live bands in this country right now...

Guest El Satanico

I dled their latest album a few weeks ago...

The music is good, but the vocals are terrible and ruins everything good about the song.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

I think they're a gimmick in the Fozzy sense. They really love what they're doing and they're not mocking anyone, but it's intentionally over the top and cheesy to a point.

They're fun, they play it up a lot, and I see nothing wrong with that, and they're a tremendous live band. I don't understand what the hell is wrong with the vocals. I can understand them not being to your taste, but as a live singer? How the hell is he BAD?

Guest El Satanico

I've never heard them live, but unless he's alot better live I don't see that it would matter.

It's true that I greatly dislike screechy vocals, but that's not my main problem in this case. On the CD his voice sounded awful and seemed to crack when he tried to hit some notes. It just sounded like he was trying too hard to sound like one of those screechy voiced power metal singers.

Guest frowned

saw these about 18 months ago, a gig of about 25 people and it was fantasmic. The only gig I've ever been to where the lead guitarist's got on a roadie's shoulders and manouvered round the crowd playing perfect lead behind his head. I'm more interested to see where they go next though to tell you the truth, whether they're one-trick ponies or not.

Guest myburninghammer

This record is pure genius: huge hooks, hilarious lyrics and that f'n castrada! Great stuff.

The fact that they also have some CLASS B-Sides to play as well adds some back catalogue to the album tracks, and gives them enough material to do a good concert without any really bad filler and covers being in there as well. The one cover they do is top notch though.

I love the darkness, perfect to listen to when your not in the mood for anything remotely serious.

Guest Homeless Guy Spare Some Change
:headbang: when justin sings to the song Get your hands off my women it sounds awful but they do rock

[This record is pure genius: huge hooks, hilarious lyrics and that f'n castrada! Great stuff. ]

Couldn't say it better myself.

I think The Darkness ar fantastic. :headbang:

They are fun and are unbelivable live.

Fingers crossed they will get the Christmas Number One and not the Pop Idols who apparently are going to cover John Lennon's Classic - Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

He'll be turning in his grave.

[This record is pure genius: huge hooks, hilarious lyrics and that f'n castrada! Great stuff. ]

Couldn't say it better myself.

I think The Darkness ar fantastic. :headbang:

They are fun and are unbelivable live.

Fingers crossed they will get the Christmas Number One and not the Pop Idols who apparently are going to cover John Lennon's Classic - Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

He'll be turning in his grave.

The moment i heard about them covering Lennon, i was like why the hell would they let those little turds cover a classic song. I was pissed off for the rest of the day after that.

Just wanted to bump this instead of starting a new thread. This is the first band in awhile that has caused me to sit up and notice. They're something different in all this similar music.

A lead singer that looks like Ted Nugent's love child and sings like Freddy Mercury....Gold!

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

They WERE funny. But they need to know less is more. They've released like 3 videos in two months. Its a bit of an overkill. I don't think they should be given that much credit for copying Spinal Tap. But thats me...

Guest Random Hero
They WERE funny. But they need to know less is more. They've released like 3 videos in two months. Its a bit of an overkill. I don't think they should be given that much credit for copying Spinal Tap. But thats me...

My sentiments entirely. Albeit their videos were a little more spaced out over here. But I could do without seeing them on EVERY TV show. I'm just waiting for the backlash to start.

I'm just going to enjoy the music without worrying about backlashes and what people think about them.

I don't watch Mtv, Mtv2, or VH1 enough to see their videos. I happened to see the video to "I believe..." and that was once. So I'm not bothered at all.

Yeah, I've only ever seen the one video on two or three occasions, and I'm a fairly regular MTV and VH1 viewer. They're far from overexposed, at least on the shows I watch.

As for the group themselves, I'm still undecided as to whether they're a Spinal Tapish parody, or just an actual retro throwback to old-fashioned hair metal. The lead singer has some pipes on him, though, a few of those notes he hits are way above anything I can attempt to reach (and I can sing the Phantom's part of the Opera, for comparison).

See, in America, they're barely exposed. Banky I know is in Canada and Random Hero I think is in England. Here in the US, I've seen the video for "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" just twice, and those're both coming on CTN. What other songs have they released videos for?

Guest El Satanico

This board and seeing their video late at night on one of the channels is all I've seen of them.

They definately aren't overexposed in the states. However, I still can't get past the screeeching vocals.