TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhantMan

Montreal - 6 Years Later

Guest PhantMan

November 9 will mark 6 years since the infamous night Bret was *screwed* by Vince McMahon. Many things have changed since Survivor Series.

* Shawn has finally admitted he was in on the screwjob. He and Bret have communicated with each other a number of times, acknowledging each other's part in the whole deal.

* Vince McMahon has been able to create and, later, destroy an empire, centering his own character around the Screwjob and his heel promoter persona.

* The Montreal Screwjob, first as some sort of urban legend about the seedy side of the biz, has now been duplicated, copied, discussed and analyzed by seemingly any personality in wresling.

* Once an example of the wits of geniuses like Brian Pillman and Eric Bischoff, the worked shoot angle has been reduced to a weekly farce by the New Bookers, Vince Russo, Ed Ferrara and Bill Banks. Today, no federation, indipendent, major and the likes, can't go without the promoter gimmick and subsequential shoot angles centering about insider rumors.

* Shawn Michaels is back in WWE, putting over young guys and *doing the right thing* for the biz that made him a millionaire. Once considered the best all around wrestler in the biz, Michaels' contribution to WWE is seemingly that of putting up great matches with green hands and vets alike while leaving the title scene to the current crop of main event talents.

* Bret's wcw run failed miserably. sabotaged by Hogan and the Old Guard, Bret won a few US and world titles withou any sense of pacing. His biggest wcw match to date still remains the bout vs Chris Benoit dedicated to the memory of his brother Owen. After suffering a concussion in a main event with Bill Goldberg, Hart, considered to be the best technical wrestler of the 90s, quietly retired from professional wrestling.

Bret still remains perhaps the only legit veteran to harbor bad sentiments toward the true nature of a biz based on cons, screwjobs and politics more than pure athleticism and competition. Nothwithstanding that, Bret's attitude toward the new direction of the wwf/wwe has inspired other vets like Mick Foley and Hulk Hogan, who went on the record of bashing Vince's vision (although in Hulk's case we understand why).

God boy hasn't put over many younger wrestlers that I remember. So far, all I remember is Randy Orton and Jericho sorta on RAW.

Of course Foley may hate the WWE and Vince's style but I'll be dammed if he didn't jump right in with "yeah, I'll sell my soul again if I can promote my book Vince".

And this is why I love Foley. That and he's proof ugly guys can get hot females and have a beautiful family.

This is why Foley is good.

But I no longer talk about the screwjob, it's a damn waste of time.

With Jericho, "sorta" means that Jericho won, but if you only see highlights, it was only because of Orton's run in. He didn't put Jericho over at all IMO, it just made Jericho, as per usual with him the last 2 years, look like he can't win over damn near anybody w/o some sort of help

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

JESUS CHRIST! Let this shit die!

People question why Bret or WWE Won't get over it when the fans keep having to mention the shit whenever it seems like it was finally buried.

JESUS CHRIST! Let this shit die!

People question why Bret or WWE Won't get over it when the fans keep having to mention the shit whenever it seems like it was finally buried.

Bret is over it.

Guest EternallyLazy

the original post failed to mention what I feel is the BIGGEST development since... Bret and Vince have reconciled

Guest PhantMan

Perhaps Bret hasn't got any desire to come back. I doubt he'd risk permanent injury by wrestling a guy like Angle, despite Angle being a good hand. It'd be more like a farewell match the like Shawn had in TWA a few years ago.

Bret and Vince "reconciled" before Vince decided to bring it all back up in Montreal w/ Shawn and Jericho.

Bret will be on Wrestling Observer Live tonight from 8-10 to clear it all up.

*laughs at Shawn "doing the right thing"*

# of people Shawn has 'put over' = 0

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Bret and Vince "reconciled" before Vince decided to bring it all back up in Montreal w/ Shawn and Jericho.

What about Austin?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
* Once an example of the wits of geniuses like Brian Pillman and Eric Bischoff, the worked shoot angle has been reduced to a weekly farce by the New Bookers, Vince Russo, Ed Ferrara and Bill Banks. Today, no federation, indipendent, major and the likes, can't go without the promoter gimmick and subsequential shoot angles centering about insider rumors.

Might as well add Vince to that list as well, since he did the worked shoot better then Pillman or Bischoff without being as blatant.

Shawn didn't "put over" Austin, Austin was already "over" as it was.

*chews gum*

Besides, my reply was based on the comment that began with "Shawn Michaels is back in WWE".

And I forgot about this lil gem:

Michaels' contribution to WWE is seemingly that of putting up great matches with green hands and vets alike while leaving the title scene to the current crop of main event talents.

WHEN was Goldberg vs. Michaels FOR THE TITLE? And these "great matches"... oh lordy.

What about Austin?

Undertaker threatened him if he didn't.

* Vince McMahon has been able to create and, later, destroy an empire, centering his own character around the Screwjob and his heel promoter persona.

Right there, you showed how fucking stupid you are. WWE isn't dead, nor is it anywhere near dead. Does it suck? Yes. Is it dead? Hell no.

I doubt he'd risk permanent injury by wrestling a guy like Angle

despite the fact that he's not medically cleared to wrestle and recently recovered from a STROKE?

and can we move this to old school please? or NHB?

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
This is going into Old Schoo and I don't want to see anymore friggin' Montreal threads in this forum. Either post it in Old School or keep your thoughts to yourself.

Here. Here.

And by Bret not being over it I meant WWE won't give him a chance by mentioning every few months, making him have to respond to how it should be forgotten.

Guest Ray
Shawn Michaels is back in WWE, putting over young guys and *doing the right thing* for the biz that made him a millionaire. Once considered the best all around wrestler in the biz,

*sigh*

Guest PhantMan

damn guys, can any of you string a coherent sentence without including the words "you" and "suck" combined? opinions are like assholes, get it? I just thought a Montreal 3d on its 6th anniversary would be ok. certainly better than the tired Raw Sucks/Shane Sucks 3ds!

Guest Bret Hit Man Hart

I will never get over November 1997 because we all know it was the day an icon got screwed by Vince Mcmahon

Bret haters will say get over it but huge Bret Hart fans will not get over it. I hate HBK and always will and I am happy watching him job to everyone while Bret sits at home watching the once showstopper being beaten by everyone.

I will never get over November 1997 because we all know it was the day an icon got screwed by Vince Mcmahon

Bret haters will say get over it but huge Bret Hart fans will not get over it. I hate HBK and always will and I am happy watching him job to everyone while Bret sits at home watching the once showstopper being beaten by everyone.

Well thats gotta be the most backwards thing ever written at this board. Probably because Bret would give anything to be in Shawn's shoes right now.

Please be a gimmick.

Guest Bret Hit Man Hart

I dont think Bret with give everything to be HBK but Bret is better then HBK ever was and Bret was also a better gimmick.

Overall Bret was better then HBK in many ways.

damn guys, can any of you string a coherent sentence without including the words "you" and "suck" combined? opinions are like assholes, get it? I just thought a Montreal 3d on its 6th anniversary would be ok. certainly better than the tired Raw Sucks/Shane Sucks 3ds!

Kindly stop your whining already.

You started a thread on an event that's probably had more threads started on it than any other happening in wrestling history(and has been dissected to death) like 2 or 3 weeks beforehand IN THE WRONG FORUM.

I don't give a damn if the anniversery is coming up or not, IT'S NOT A CURRENT HAPPENING IN THE WWE! Therefore, if you put it in the wrong forum, it's gonna be moved, whether you like it or not.

Guest Bret Hit Man Hart

The screwjob will never go away and Vince and HBK and Earl will live with this forever.

Bret Hart should have left in a nice way

Guest PhantMan

Bret will be back in wwe one way or another. it only depends in what capacity. it's still the only remaining angle vince would probably sell his soul to the devil to write.

Guest Bret Hit Man Hart

Bret should never work for Vince Mcmahon again. Brt busted his ass makign Vince millions and at the end Bret gets nothing out of all of this which is a dam shame.

Bret vs Vince coould be a classic fued which goes dam in history but I think it will never happen.