TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest StevieNightHeat

Which year was Kurt Angle at his best

Guest StevieNightHeat

Seriously, all the years Kurt Angle has been in WWE, which year was Kurt Angle at his best? I have to say 2001 during the Alliance era. Angle was made to look dominate and powerful during the Alliance era, no one stopped him. He had classic battles with Austin that year and they put on great matches. I wish 2001 Kurt Angle would come back, he put on great matches back then, not that he doesnt put on great matches now, but he just aint as dominate as he was in 2001. 2001 was definitely the year Kurt Angle was at his best.

Guest robvandam420

its hard to say. angle really changed over the years. i remember likeing him in 2000 though, with that love triangle with hhh and steph. good matches too.

Guest robvandam420
i thought he was the most entertaining in 2000

i agree. that angle was full of suspense, he played his part right, and he worked good matches.

Guest wildpegasus

2002 was when he was most on for wrestling. 2003 isn't over yet so we'll see what happens.

2002 was far from a let down. Kurt was on fire the last 6 months of the year. Everyones bitching and whining about him being misused over shadowed his work.

Guest robvandam420
2002 wasn't a great year.... he had that mediocre angle with Edge, followed by Hogan, then Mysterio...then those tag team feuds with Benoit, and he wrapped it up with a screwy title win.

i didn;t like the edge fued. he made angle look like a bitch and then didn't even move up to the title hunt. it just made angle look bad. but being the heat magnet he is, he quickley recovered.

Why do people hate that Edge feud so much? They had good match after good match from singles to tag matches. Boo hoo, he wasn't wrestling for the title. At least he was working on every show and PPV.

Guest Anglesault
Why do people hate that Edge feud so much? They had good match after good match from singles to tag matches. Boo hoo, he wasn't wrestling for the title. At least he was working on every show and PPV.

It was great ringwise, but godawful storyline.

It was great ringwise, but godawful storyline.

True. The Spring & Summer of 2002 were not good ones for Kurt Angle when it came to storylines.

The hairpiece angle being the most insulting.

Guest Adrian 3:16
Why do people hate that Edge feud so much?

Because it made him look like a total idiot.

And let's not even get started on "the Olympic thong" and being spanked by HHH...

2001 was his best year for matches, but I was most entertained by him during his early days when he still had his "3 I's" catchphrase. Now that was comedy gold, not wearing wigs and showing his ass.

Guest robvandam420

the hairpiece was hilarious, imo. but angle should not have jobbed like that without edge going on to bigger things. it was a waste of time. thank god it didn't hurt angle on the long term.

Guest Adrian 3:16

I don't know, it took a good while after that before anyone could take him seriously as a threat. The fact he recovered eventually at all was an accident because Angle rules and all, and not because he was actually protected by the booking.

For further examples see Jericho, Chris.

Guest robvandam420
I don't know, it took a good while after that before anyone could take him seriously as a threat. The fact he recovered eventually at all was an accident because Angle rules and all, and not because he was actually protected by the booking.

For further examples see Jericho, Chris.

yup, and the rock when he does jobs. vince knows this. do you think he would really want to end the career of someone with that ability? hes not stupid. he does angles like that because those are the only guys who can do it and still connect with the fans after its all over. why he chooses those angles to begin with is a mystery to me, but i know why he chooses the players.

Overall his best year has been 2003 because he has been taken seriously all year long, and has gotten respect inside and outside the ring. Plus he's put on great matches this year (vs Brock and vs Benoit). In ring, my favorite year was 2002 with his feud with Edge (great cage match), his tag team with Benoit, and his first ***** match (No Mercy).

His 2000 stuff was funny (3 I's skits, E&C, love triangle), but his 2001 work didn't do it for me except for his cage match with Beniot and him finally becomeing a badass (breaking Scotty's ankle)

Also Kurt looked the best last year. At first he looked extremely skinny and dorky, but added too much muscle mass at the end of 2000 and 2001. After his haircut he looked to have lost some weight and was a lean, mean wrestling machine in 2002.

Oh, the wig thing wasn't that bad.

Guest Anglesault

Yes it was.

I was told that it was apparently done to get Angle heat.

Because he needed it and all.

Guest Markingout

It goes like this in my eyes, ring work wise: 2002

Overall: 2000. The love triangle was good,had some awesome matches with HHH. You guys know you loved his stuff with Edge and Christian. In 2002 his angles were mediocre,but ring wise were amazing. His classics with "The super 6".

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

1999-2000 he got the Brock push. But the fans reacted to him at least and he had some good (not great) matches.

2001 he had awesome matches with HHH, Benoit, Austin etc.

2002 started bad, got worse and really overall, he was doing mid-card feuds. But Hogan put him over clean at KOTR so that helps a little.

2003 I can't judge yet, but it's been alright.

2001, before Heyman's lazy booking pushed Kurt into this "all German suplexes" offense.

They're in a perfect position to introduce more innovative matwork into the smackdown style, with Eddy and two amateur champions high on the card. That's what bugs me about the endless suplexes. They are toning them down though, maybe they'll try focusing on variation in that area instead. But I won't hold my breath.

Guest robvandam420

Yes it was.

I was told that it was apparently done to get Angle heat.

Because he needed it and all.

well it sure was hilarious. i laughed my ass off. not like i thought any less of kurt, it was just funny.

Guest ManKinnd

Let's see, 2001 had:

The alliance angle, with tons of comedy gold from his stuff with Austin.

A ****1/2 match at NWO with Rock.

A ****1/2 match at WM with Benoit.

A **** match at Judgment Day with Benoit.

A ****1/2 cage match with Benoit.

A ****1/2 match with Shane at KOR

A ****3/4 match with Austin at Summerslam.

Then two ***1/2+ PPV matches to end the year.

Don't forget at least two ****+ matches on Raw with Austin.

Awesome wrestling, awesome skits. Nothing was wrong.