TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PLAGIARISM!

The shining scarier than the exorcist?

Here in the UK channel 4 just did another top 100 list, this time of scary moments in TV and cinema, and The Shining beat The Exorcist for the top spot. I'm not convinced, not only is the possessed chick freakier, the vision of the demon's face is terrifying. I think the performances in The Shining were better though. The Ring was about no. 6, and good god, the seamless transition of Sadako crawling through the screen into the room is still absolutely unbelievable. Jaws was no. 3, which I can understand for the time period but time has NOT been kind to that one for shock value.

The Exorcist is somewhat limited in scope, it's not really as scary unless you have some kind of religious base. And it didn't scare me at all, though I was raised in the church, and I can't really say why. Just didn't have that X factor I guess. Shining was scary though.

I would have to say that yes, The Shining IS scarier than Exorcist.

I saw the Exorcist a few years back for the first time, and wasn't impressed. For its time I'm sure it was mind-blowing, but IMO, it hasn't aged well.

Shining royally fucked with my head as a little kid, especially those goddamn twins.

Saturnmark, would you be so kind as to post a bit of that list? At least the top 10 or so?

Comedy has ruined the Exorcist and The Shining.

I can't help put think of Garrett Morris beating the piss out of Lorraine Newman after she insults his mother. Than there's the classic Shinning parody the Simpsons did.

Well at the time of release for each film then hell no, I mean it isn't even close. When the Exorcist was released there was all sorts of hysteria reported. However, the Shining was definately aged better with every consecutive group of youngins. I mean, people my age still claim to be scared by the shining, yet when I saw the Exorcist a few years ago in the theater, people were literally laughing at Linda Blair's demonic activites. It is sad, but true.

I remember when I first saw the Shining. I was 11 at the time, and I had a friend over. I also believe that was the first night that I never got to sleep.

The Grady Twins still scare me, and that man in the dog costume giving a bj to some other guy still makes me laugh. I mean really, what the fuck?!

Guest BAR

I watched it last night. I was happy with no.1, The Shining is definately my favourite horror. All together, I thought the list was decent with a few minor exceptions.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

From a psychological standpoint, the idea of being posessed by evil incarnate against your will is far scarier, then the Kubrick version of Shining. Jack's performance seemed demented from minute one so you lose the whole "slowly going insane" element.

The Shining is not only scarier than The Exorcist, but also a better movie overall. So yes, I'd say I agree with that.

For one thing, The Exorcist is only scary if you're religious, as others have stated. And, trust me, most viewers of horror movies aren't all that religious. The Shining is based off of a simple human fear: being alone. We've all been alone in our houses sometimes, or alone somewhere else, and heard some bumps or creaks that shouldn't have been happening. Thus, it makes sense.

Guest JMA

I used to be very religious (I'm an atheist now), and The Exorcist didn't really scare me then, either. Don't get me wrong, it's a great movie and way ahead of its time. But it just didn't freak me out when I first saw it.

Guest Jack Tunney

I actually like "The Exorcist III" the best.If you havent seen it you should,it's not what you think it is.(As in,not like part II.)

I agree 100% that The Shining is more scarier than the Exorcist and is a far more superior film.

Kuberick's direction is flawless and is filmed in a far more spookier - errier way. The twins scare the shit out of me as does the boy saying REDRUM over and over. Nicholson and Shirly Duvall (also in that classic Surburban Commando) are fantastic.

I saw The Exorcist for the first time when it was re-released a few years ago - and time has not been good on it. I also experienced others laughing in the cinema in the infamous - 'head-spinning' scene and the bed rocking. Linda Blairs performance is also rather shite.

I don't think its any wonder it caused such a stir in 1973 as it was very ahead of its time. Excorist is more shocking than scary (the masturbation with the crucifix isn't too pleasant if your religious)

Jaws at number 3 I can deal with - although not truely scary now it is a classic. The Head scene hasn't aged well - reminds me of the scare in Carrie which also is rather wank when watching it today.

I certainly would give The Shining the edge as a better film, but as I said it's more the vision of the demon's face that creeps me out. I can see how The Shining would scare more people.

10. Nightmare on Elm Street

9. The Omen

8. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

7. Halloween

6. Ring (my no.1)

5. The Blair Witch Project

4. Alien

3. Jaws (hmmm)

2. The Exorcist

1. The Shining

http://channel4.com/film/newsfeatures/micr...s_100-91_1.html

I like no. 100.